PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood, Big Bear Lake , & 3 Elk Lodges in one day

Troutman65
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, I was unable to make it up to the Sierras for the trout opener this weekend so I had planed my own trourt opener weekend in the local San Berdo Mountains with my good friend Tsuki . This was planed for a while but was unsure if it would play out.

Started out going to Silverwood Lake as the weather forcast was primo ( Sunny skys , No wind ) Tsuki & I got to Silverwood at 6:15AM and had lines in the water by 6:30AM. We were the 2nd group of people there . Lake water level was up 10' from my last trip ( apox. 2 weeks ago) Lots of crud floating . The group next to us camped since Thursday and said yesterday was slow and they got skunked . I set my 2 rods up and casted out . Tmster Special & power Bait on the other. Tsuki had the Timster Special and was casting lures . About this time I decided to call my friend Timster to let him know I was out at Silverwood trout fishhing. Low and behold Timster was fishing and was with Dr. Hook and they were at Big Bear . How cool . I said the bite was slow at Silverwood and he imformed me that Art ( Dr.Hook ) had landed a nice 18" holdover trout . We gave it two hours and with no trout on the stringer we were off to Big Bear Lake to Join my Good Friends Timster & Dr. Hook. I had not fished with either of them in over 10 months or longer.

We arrived at Big Bear an 1 1/2 later and had our lines out in no time hoping for some of those holdover trout action. We fished for a couple hours and nothing . Moss is getting bad where we were at and it was hard fishing .The weather was perfect and not much wind . Sunny skys with no clouds . My kind of fishing weather . I tryed everything and Tsuki did too and we got nothing at the first spot at the lake. It was ok because we were with good company and having fun just fishing and being outdoors.

We packed it in and went to another spot across the lake and when we got ther I decided I was done fishing for the day and wanted to start back home. We said our good byes and Tsuki & I were off and got skunked at 2 lakes . No big deal as the day was great and we had great company to enjoy. I have been to Big Bear many times and always wanted to check out the Big Bear Elks lodge. Every time I go up there its Frickin closed . Today we timed it right and the lodge was open. At this point Tsuke was my sober driver and I had a few beers and shots of JD and relaxed . We got the tour of the lodge and I had another round. I decided it was time to get going and we headed out down the hill. The 330 is closed and you have to take the 18 down and low and behold I see the Skyforest Elks lodge and make Tsuki stop my truck and we went in to check it out . Never been there either and have seen it many times going by. Get inside and I get my shot and beer back and enjoy talking to the local Elks Brothers & Sisters and share with them our fun fishing adventure day . After a round I know its time to get back on the raod .We say our good byes and are on the road again.

We get back to Garden Grove and Tsukis home and I decide to go to my home lodge ( G.G. ) to finish out the day . Just so happens that its Pizza Sunday at the lodge and I order Pizza and some beer and wind down the day sharing our fishing adventure with my lodge friends .

Even though we got skunked at 2 lakes in one day we still had a great time . I guess catching fish was not in the cards for us today and thats ok. Just getting to hang out with good friends and fishing together was enough for us.

Dr. Hook, Your Family is in my prayers . Congrats on that AWESOME holdover trout you landed . Hope we can all can fish together again soon.

Thanks for reading folks .

Troutman65
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the great replys everyone

CASTAWAY
04-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Wow. Well atleast you had a good time going out there. Thanks for the report.:Cool:

Troutman65
04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the one reply my good fiishing buddy . I knew I could count on you .:LOL::Wink: We traveled 301 miles on that trip .

Swank909
04-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you had a great time regardless. Any time spent with family and friends is a good time :)

Troutman65
04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for reading and the reply Swank909. It was a fun day for sure . Only think that could of toped it off was some trout on my stringer . :Wink:

troutdog
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
If you can't catch a fish you might as well catch a buzz right? :LOL:

Thanks for the report TM,

TD

Troutman65
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Well TD, as it turned out thats what I did. Thanks for reading and posting :)