PDA

View Full Version : More Perris 'Gillin 4/25

Socal Bassman
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
After an insane week at work, I was looking forward to a day relaxing with Jr. by the water. We made our way to the lake and making our usual stop on the way to buy some red worms. We got to the lake a little after 10a.m. Seeing that our usual spot was taken, we decided we'd try our hand at the end of the Marina docks. On the way there, we ran into Lorenzo and he informed us that there were a lot of 'gills hanging around by the soda machines. So we decided to try it out and dropped our lines. Our offerings were hit as soon as they hit bottom. For most of the morning, it was like a broken record that went: bait your hook, drop to the bottom, and get bit. Although there weren't no size to these fish, the action was almost non stop. Regardless of us only catching 8 within the hour, we lost more than twice that amount in bait due to the bluegill's expert bait stealing technique. :LOL:

We decided it was time for a move and moved to the end of docks. That's when Kevin, one of the worker's there, told us to try the corner. Thanks for the tip, bro. So that's just where we went. Although the action was not as fast paced as the previous spot, the bite was steady. Again we found fish on or close to the bottom. With the better fish coming about 3ft. off of the bottom. We decided to call it a day at 4p.m. I don't know the exact total for today as I stopped keeping track after fish #16. Here are some pics of the day.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/100_1901.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/100_1903.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/100_1907.jpg

Biggest of the day
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/100_1904.jpg

Bendo with the BPS Microlite rod
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/100_1908.jpg

Ending the day with this lil guy and a smile
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/100_1910.jpg

Hometown
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
nice report it looks like you guys slayed

old pudd fisher
04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Nice day with the gills. He sure looks like a happy boy, that last gill is a toad.

Natural Lefty
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Hello Socal Bassfisher, I saw you and your boy on the free part of the docks, when you moved over there before leaving. I knew it was you, but couldn't remember your name. I was there with my wife.

We fished from 3 to 8 p.m. Since your report is called More Perris 'Gillin, mine would be More Perris in the Spring With my Wife. It was a beautiful day, no need for jackets, but not hot either. The docks are a really friendly place.

Fishingwise, we did okay, but not great. The marina is full of mostly juvenile Bluegill now. The total catch was 8 small Bluegills for me, and 2 Bluegills and a Redear for my wife. Her Redear and her second Bluegill were better sized, so we kept those 2 and let the rest go. We saw a lot of people keeping even the juvenile Bluegill, though.

Some highlights: When we got there, a man caught a Trout, which he said was too small. He tried to release it, but it was dying, so he asked me if I wanted it. I said okay and netted it, so I already had a fish before we even started fishing. Later, another guy gave us 2 more Trout. Then another fisherman gave us a small Bluegill which was dying. It was just like the ones we were releasing, but we didn't want it to go to waste, so we took it. People are very generous on the docks.

The man who caught the first Trout was engaged in a wide-reaching conversation with another man who was done fishing for the day. They were critiquing former actors turned poliiticians, which being the liberal claptrap that I am, prompted me to join in the conversation. They lost me, though, when the conversation turned to how the thought earthquakes are punishments from God. Their conversation went on for something like an hour. It's interesting to see the strange conglomeration of ideas that some people have.

More Generosity: There was a guy a little farther out on the docks, who was being very quiet, but finally hooked a fish, and to our surprise, it was a decent size Crappie on a jig. I started talking to him, and he had caught about 8 Crappie on the same jig, with Crappie Nibbles attached, plus a couple of Bluegill and/or Redears. He then gave me some Crappie Nibbles. He even gave me his jig when he left, plus the rest of his Crappie Nibbles to someone else. I half-expected him to give us his fish, too, but he took those home. What a nice man, and good with the jig, too. He didn't catch any other fish while we were there, though. After seeing him catch the Crappie, either my wife or I almost continuosuly used jigs. Once, my wife hooked what she said was a nice size Bluegill on the jig, but it came off next to the dock. Later, I had a quick hit on the jig. When I tried to set the hook, the jig came into view, with a Trout chasing it. Then it turned away, but I am pretty sure that Trout was what hit the jig. We didn't catch any on jigs though.

When it was starting to get dark, large numbers of fish started surfacing. I was prepared, having one pole already set up with a bobber and Adams fly. I quickly hooked what felt like a good size one, but it came off more than halfway in. What a pity! After that, I did catch two more on the fly, though, before it got too dark and was time to go. The rest of the fish were all caught on homegrown worms.

We didn't spend a penny on the trip, using the homegrown worms, the annual parking permit, and fishing on the free part of the dock. Also, the drive from our house is only about 20-25 minutes, kind of like driving to work. I wanted to go to the store at one point to buy Nightcrawlers, maybe more jigs or Crappie Nibbles, but my wife nixed the idea, and things worked out well for us as it turned out.

jmp_fishinn
04-26-2010, 10:11 PM
sounds like an awesome day on the water!
i've think i've seen you guys there before! next time i know!
when you mention the free part of the dock, do you mean the cement area?

Socal Bassman
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Hello Socal Bassfisher, I saw you and your boy on the free part of the docks, when you moved over there before leaving. I knew it was you, but couldn't remember your name. I was there with my wife.

We fished from 3 to 8 p.m. Since your report is called More Perris 'Gillin, mine would be More Perris in the Spring With my Wife. It was a beautiful day, no need for jackets, but not hot either. The docks are a really friendly place.

Fishingwise, we did okay, but not great. The marina is full of mostly juvenile Bluegill now. The total catch was 8 small Bluegills for me, and 2 Bluegills and a Redear for my wife. Her Redear and her second Bluegill were better sized, so we kept those 2 and let the rest go. We saw a lot of people keeping even the juvenile Bluegill, though.

Some highlights: When we got there, a man caught a Trout, which he said was too small. He tried to release it, but it was dying, so he asked me if I wanted it. I said okay and netted it, so I already had a fish before we even started fishing. Later, another guy gave us 2 more Trout. Then another fisherman gave us a small Bluegill which was dying. It was just like the ones we were releasing, but we didn't want it to go to waste, so we took it. People are very generous on the docks.

The man who caught the first Trout was engaged in a wide-reaching conversation with another man who was done fishing for the day. They were critiquing former actors turned poliiticians, which being the liberal claptrap that I am, prompted me to join in the conversation. They lost me, though, when the conversation turned to how the thought earthquakes are punishments from God. Their conversation went on for something like an hour. It's interesting to see the strange conglomeration of ideas that some people have.

More Generosity: There was a guy a little farther out on the docks, who was being very quiet, but finally hooked a fish, and to our surprise, it was a decent size Crappie on a jig. I started talking to him, and he had caught about 8 Crappie on the same jig, with Crappie Nibbles attached, plus a couple of Bluegill and/or Redears. He then gave me some Crappie Nibbles. He even gave me his jig when he left, plus the rest of his Crappie Nibbles to someone else. I half-expected him to give us his fish, too, but he took those home. What a nice man, and good with the jig, too. He didn't catch any other fish while we were there, though. After seeing him catch the Crappie, either my wife or I almost continuosuly used jigs. Once, my wife hooked what she said was a nice size Bluegill on the jig, but it came off next to the dock. Later, I had a quick hit on the jig. When I tried to set the hook, the jig came into view, with a Trout chasing it. Then it turned away, but I am pretty sure that Trout was what hit the jig. We didn't catch any on jigs though.

When it was starting to get dark, large numbers of fish started surfacing. I was prepared, having one pole already set up with a bobber and Adams fly. I quickly hooked what felt like a good size one, but it came off more than halfway in. What a pity! After that, I did catch two more on the fly, though, before it got too dark and was time to go. The rest of the fish were all caught on homegrown worms.

We didn't spend a penny on the trip, using the homegrown worms, the annual parking permit, and fishing on the free part of the dock. Also, the drive from our house is only about 20-25 minutes, kind of like driving to work. I wanted to go to the store at one point to buy Nightcrawlers, maybe more jigs or Crappie Nibbles, but my wife nixed the idea, and things worked out well for us as it turned out.

You should have just introduced yourself. Yeah, the weather was really nice. Could've used a little more wind earlier, but it was still good. As for the generosity of the people on the docks, I would have to agree with you there. Actually, it's almost a different atmosphere over there. Some guy came over to me within the first hour that we were there asked if we wanted the rest of his nightcrawlers. I accepted them, but gave them to someone else instead. Then, later in the afternoon another guy comes up and asks if we wanted the rest of his red worms. Hope to see you out there (again) sometime. We will probably be back at it this sunday.

Socal Bassman
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
sounds like an awesome day on the water!
i've think i've seen you guys there before! next time i know!
when you mention the free part of the dock, do you mean the cement area?

I didn't know there was a free part of the dock. But I would guess that it is the area just before the first gate that leads into the main part of the docks.

jmp_fishinn
04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
yeah me niether! haha. well thats what natural left had typed.
now i know! haha. i usually hit up that spot for a couple casts for some bass.

Natural Lefty
04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, the free part is anywhere from the shoreline to the branch going to the right just BEYOND the gate. After they close the gate (I think that was 6 p.m. on Sunday) you must go to the shoreward side of the gate, but can still fish for free. I would have gone out to the end (where the fishing was probably a bit better but not all that different), but I knew my wife would not approve of any uneccessary expenditures. Sometimes the fishing is actually better on the free part, but it depends.

Socal Bassman, I actually recognized your son from the pictures I had seen of him before, I should say. I didn't know how to introduce myself, and I was thinking we would probably get to talking anyway, but you and your son left soon after that. Next time, I definitely will introduce myself and Eunice. I was wearing an Angels hat, if you remember. I usually wear that hat while fishing.

A couple of other things that happened. Did that DFG guy doing the trout survey talk to you? He spoke with us. I never saw anything like that before.

Another thing was a teenage boy who didn't know how to fish but had a new fishing pole. His mom asked me to show him how to set it up and use it. They didn't even have the line under the bail, so it could not reel. I set it up properly, tied on his leader, and put the clicker on, and a nightcrawler, but unfortunately, I don't think he caught anything. At least he got a start and saw some other people catching fish.