PDA

View Full Version : OPener report

Joshua
04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Took off early Friday morning. Fished Lone Pine and Tuttle with my 2 nephews on the way up. Lone Pine was dead. Tuttle produced several cookie cutters fish.
Started at the Sand Trap, Messed around for about 30 minutes. Wind was blowing cold and people started to show up. So we headed up the creek. Hit some on the regular spots that produce. Got one wild guy to jump on the salmon eggs but that was it. I was trying to find fish for youngest nephew as this was his first opener. I scouted around and didnt see much.
Walked the Lone Pine Campground. All of the pools had people at them, Didnt even make a cast, Decided to run for Tuttle Creek. Not a great producers, but I know I can always pull a couple small browns out of there.
Tuttle creek had a couple spots that were holding fish. made for some easy and eager targets. Got bored with shooting fish in the barrel.
Water flow at Lone Pine and Tuttle were a litte low but very fishable. They will rise once we get some run off.

Stopped at Independence creek campground, Wow this place in depressing . Pulled a few out. Water is very low. It appears that this section of the creek must always be low flow It couldnt rise more than 12" or it would overflow that banks

Open Day:
Started at Intake II. Steady bite on small fish. Nothing big at all. Didnt see anything big landed. Charttuese PB seemed to be the hot bait. had the 80,000 BTU heater going to knock back the bitter cold. Never had to crank it up to full throttle to keep us warm.

Talked to a friend that stayed at Intake II. He said he didnt catch anything after I left. An extra 7 hours and no fish. Not an EPIC year.

I like to fish Bishop South fork, Most of the creek was inaccessbile (some snow on the ground) Snow on the ground=No Fish plants
There were 3 spots on the entire creek that had been planted. I wasnt going to fight for limited space.
Took off early for home. My daughter had a softball game and Coach Tom "needed" to be there.

I took home 2 ice chest full of snow for the girls. The parents didnt appreciate it as the girls nailed them with snow balls. (and we won our game)

I will be back in Bishop in 3 weeks. Hopefully, some of the creeks will be ready. I think I am. I dont know what is wrong with me, but I don't have the fishing Jones like I used to get. I used to fiend for my fishing trips. Maybe I need to try some place else. The Eastern Sierras have become common place. I need counseling.

Sorry for the short report. not much to report.

fishfinder
04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
hooray the first sierra report of the year. thanks....

DynoDan
04-25-2010, 07:55 PM
i think your friend sucks at fishing!

Joshua
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
i think your friend sucks at fishing!
that may be the case but he pulled a nice one from the Owens on Friday. He is a pirate, He keeps everything.

flytyingreloader
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
It is still pretty snowy at any significant elevation, and there will be more snow enroute this coming week. I took Marie to Keough Hot Springs--Upper Crust in Bishop--and on to Rock Creek Lake for a ride in the new truck. At the Lake, snow depths varied from 2-5 feet, frozen solid, with folks out fishing on the ice.

Greg Madrigal
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey Josh, thanx 4 the report. Too bad it wasn't a bit more on the epic end of the scale for you buddy. Good job on the snowballs tho! ;)

Sierra_Smitty
04-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the report. We fished on Sunday for a few hours at Intake II - very slow but enjoyable. I'm shocked nothing big came out of Intake II this year....at least not that I saw. Bring on the sunshine - snow needs to go!

SierraPeaks
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
With the late ice out coupled with cold water temps, a high pressure system, no established thermocline, and a full moon, the cards weren't right for a good opener. That's why I'm waiting two weeks. By then water temps should be up around 8 degrees and the trout will become very active. May looks to be an epic month.

Eat Sleep Fish
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
With the late ice out coupled with cold water temps, a high pressure system, no established thermocline, and a full moon, the cards weren't right for a good opener. That's why I'm waiting two weeks. By then water temps should be up around 8 degrees and the trout will become very active. May looks to be an epic month.

Same thing I was thinking. That's why we're going mid-May.

SierraPeaks
04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Same thing I was thinking. That's why we're going mid-May.

In 1999 the conditions were almost identical to this year. It was an El Nino year, Crowley wasn't ice free until one week before the opener, and there was a strong high pressure system that set in two days before the opener. Same as this year. We postponed our trip 2 and a half weeks giving the trout a chance to get acclimated to warming water and settling in to an established thermocline. My buddy and I caught so many fish in 3 days we lost count after 160 and 90% of those were well over 2 pounds. The biggest being a 7.10 brown and at least 60 over 4 pounds. We each were running lead core at 4 and a half colors and trolling top water too. We probably had 30 quadruple hookups and countless simultaneous hookups. It was a stellar trip and one that I've gauged every trip on since then. Timing is everything. Good luck !

Troutman65
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting up your report .

Joshua
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the report. We fished on Sunday for a few hours at Intake II - very slow but enjoyable. I'm shocked nothing big came out of Intake II this year....at least not that I saw. Bring on the sunshine - snow needs to go!
I swung by the lodge. Didnt look like anyone was around. Couldnt really see over the 4 foot of snow they plowed in front out drive way. Good luck with that dude.

flytyingreloader
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I think SierraPeaks is right on the money. I'm there, for sure--first and second weeks of May.

troutdog
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the report Joshua, good luck next time up!

TD

Joshua
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the report Joshua, good luck next time up!

TD
Im headed back May 19-22 Should have more water access. Unfortunately, I think Mammoth Lake with still be closed. They usually dont open the roads until memorial weekend. I had to bump up my trip a week this year. Dont want to miss my wife;s BDAY again:EyePop:

I usually end up coming home a day early because the crowds suck for Memorial Weekend. This time I may get my 5 days of fishing instead of 4.

IncredibleHuck
04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Took off early Friday morning. Fished Lone Pine and Tuttle with my 2 nephews on the way up. Lone Pine was dead. Tuttle produced several cookie cutters fish.
Started at the Sand Trap, Messed around for about 30 minutes. Wind was blowing cold and people started to show up. So we headed up the creek. Hit some on the regular spots that produce. Got one wild guy to jump on the salmon eggs but that was it. I was trying to find fish for youngest nephew as this was his first opener. I scouted around and didnt see much.
Walked the Lone Pine Campground. All of the pools had people at them, Didnt even make a cast, Decided to run for Tuttle Creek. Not a great producers, but I know I can always pull a couple small browns out of there.
Tuttle creek had a couple spots that were holding fish. made for some easy and eager targets. Got bored with shooting fish in the barrel.
Water flow at Lone Pine and Tuttle were a litte low but very fishable. They will rise once we get some run off.

Stopped at Independence creek campground, Wow this place in depressing . Pulled a few out. Water is very low. It appears that this section of the creek must always be low flow It couldnt rise more than 12" or it would overflow that banks

Open Day:
Started at Intake II. Steady bite on small fish. Nothing big at all. Didnt see anything big landed. Charttuese PB seemed to be the hot bait. had the 80,000 BTU heater going to knock back the bitter cold. Never had to crank it up to full throttle to keep us warm.

Talked to a friend that stayed at Intake II. He said he didnt catch anything after I left. An extra 7 hours and no fish. Not an EPIC year.

I like to fish Bishop South fork, Most of the creek was inaccessbile (some snow on the ground) Snow on the ground=No Fish plants
There were 3 spots on the entire creek that had been planted. I wasnt going to fight for limited space.
Took off early for home. My daughter had a softball game and Coach Tom "needed" to be there.

I took home 2 ice chest full of snow for the girls. The parents didnt appreciate it as the girls nailed them with snow balls. (and we won our game)

I will be back in Bishop in 3 weeks. Hopefully, some of the creeks will be ready. I think I am. I dont know what is wrong with me, but I don't have the fishing Jones like I used to get. I used to fiend for my fishing trips. Maybe I need to try some place else. The Eastern Sierras have become common place. I need counseling.

Sorry for the short report. not much to report.

Hopefully next year i'll be able to head back up for an opener! Those two I fished with you guys was fun, a little cold, but a ton of fun.

Joshua
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Hopefully next year i'll be able to head back up for an opener! Those two I fished with you guys was fun, a little cold, but a ton of fun.
You are always welcome to join us. I had recruited my youngest nephew. He slept thru the opener. He didnt wake up until we were on the 15 near Wrightwood.
I am hoping I can request a bye week for my daughters softball games. Then she can come along. I would turn it into a 4 day trip instead of a 36 hour non-stop run.
I am worthless for at least a day.