PDA

View Full Version : Duct Putting On The Hurt

yolo
04-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Hit the duct yesterday late afternoon/night with MM to see if we can find some stripers. Someone I know caught a nice mid teen DD earlier in the day along with a 6lber so I had the urge to get back on some stripers. First couple of spots fishing the AV and nothing. It was windy as XXXX out there. The sun went down and the winds tapered off considerably in the evening.

My arm at this point is starting to hurt again form all the casting and retrieving. I switch to my right hand retrieve upside down and turn it into a left hand retrieve cranking backwards to ease up on the "striper elbow". I cast out and I get hit right away. I wasn't too sure because everything is being done backwards and with the wrong arm and feels kind of goofy so I bring it in and recast and work it with the correct arm. Bam get slammed almost right away again but this time I drive it home and it's on. The current is hauling and it's working me staying on the other side. A few runs and surface breaks and shakes and it is landed. A nice 7 lber.

I cast back out and work it with the wrong arm again because my "striper elbow" is killing me from fighting the previous fish. I get it to the middle and get an overwhelming slam again and hook it. I battle it for a bit with the wrong arm but it's not working. I switch to the hurt one and manage to land it. A bit bigger than the first at 8lbs.

At this point I am taking breaks and not fishing. Just watching MM try to get one. He gets bit a couple of times here and there but nothing sticks. We move and even though I am making casts here and there nursing the arm I get bit again and hook it. Land my 3rd fish at 6lbs. By now I am in agony and can't take any more. We work another area and I reluctantly make a couple of casts and get hit near the edge and it's on but after peeling some drag and me not doing a proper hook set with my weak arm, it gets off.

Bummer that MM couldn't get anything to stick. He did beat the skunk however with a nice 3' or 4' snake. I guess a snake is better than a skunk, LOL? :)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%204-24-10/Duct4-24-10_stripers.jpg

trail blazer
04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
WTG out there guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOLO i feel fou you bro with your bad arm,,,,,hope it heals soon,,,,,

The stripers in your parts have breathed a sigh of releif lately,,,,,,,,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
TB, LOL. I really do need to tend to it because just leaving it or taking a break for a week didn't do anything. I think I'm going to go fire up the jacuzzi and soak and let the jets massage it.

cutbait
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
You probably have something seriously wrong with it.

You may need the drag washers changed out or perhaps the bearings replaced

yolo
04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
I definitely need my bearings replaced.

fishinone
04-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice catch yolo. If you need somebody to reel your fish in for you, I'm sure you'll have plenty of volunteers. In fact, put my name on the list.:Razz:

kpn
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Great job Yolo. You have Ron volunteer to reel in your fish....That's will be a great teamwork :LOL:.

KPN.

yolo
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
KPN, LOL. It hurts to work the jigs and lures too to even get the hook up. Especially now with the high flow, it amplifies the pain because I am using heavier lures. Did you ever get out last night?

bouncer
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
i was riding my dirt bike through there just last week! water was raging bunch of ppl there to

HaiTheMeister
04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Awesome Yo!!! Wish I have your problem "Striper elbow". Lifting up your catches like that probably won't help....LOL.

yolo
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Haha. No kidding Hai. It did hurt quite a bit thinking back.

Marine_Michael
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice catch yolo. If you need somebody to reel your fish in for you, I'm sure you'll have plenty of volunteers. In fact, put my name on the list.:Razz:

lol you guys get to the back of the line. I volunteered the day after he first hurt it. He never took me up on it though.

NooB SaBass
04-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Man sick job! Those are some nice freaken stripers! My unlce is the only one who has caught stripers but he tells us they fight.
I'm moving to SB this weekend so I'll be a lot closer to the duct than I previously was. I don't really know where you guys go or how to fish for Stripers lol but hopefully I'll see ya out there. Hope that arm gets better bro....