PDA

View Full Version : friday 4-23: first time on dvl, first time fishin the new boat

FishermanStu
04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
I didnt have high hopes for today considering the post front conditions and tough it was. Buuut i had to take out my new boat and i figured where else besides the valley of diamonds. I'd never been there before so i did what anyone would do, drive around like i know what im doing and stop somewhere that looked promising. went to the back of a cove and worked my way out. found a bed fish on the way to the point and stuck that one. i was with my buddy who is a pretty novice bass fisherman so i was showin him the ropes of bed fishin. after that ran across the lake to another cove tryin to make somethin happen. couldnt make anything happen until we came across another bedding fish so i had my buddy take that one. soon after that i stuck a pretty nice smallmouth at 2 1/2 on a secondary point with a tube. next we ran to i guess the west damn. there we finally started to get on an actual pattern. the fish were in 8-15 feet of water outside of spawning areas in the slighty deeper channels around rocks. we make it to the second island east of the west damn. ripped worms through the stickups on the north side for 3 bites but nothing stuck. around the corner my buddy hooked up on a fish i estimated at 7 but it popped off boatside. left that area to another shallower cove where we could work the same post spawn pattern. finished up along the rock wall next to the east dam for two more. i ended up with 9 and my buddy just 1. most of my fish were caught on drop shotted oxblood red flake robos. my best was 3 1/2 but most were about 1 1/2-2

the pics are of the 3 1/2 largemouth and 2 1/2 smallmouth

all in all not incredible but not to bad

phantom 34
04-24-2010, 02:09 PM
WOW:EyePop: ITS GREAT TO SEE THEM SMALLIES POPPING UP MORE OFTEN AT THE DIAMOND.GREAT JOB OUT THERE.

fishntime
04-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Great job for your first time at the Jewel. So, what kind of boat did you get?

FishermanStu
04-25-2010, 12:09 AM
I got a 99 champion 17.5 feet with a 175 merc. It scoots pretty good. Not top of the line but as far as starter bass boats go it's just about all I could ask for.

TopwaterTony
04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah I have got 2 smallies myself this year so far, and my friend got one also. All around that same size. Good catchin' !