PDA

View Full Version : cogswell reservoir

bouncer
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
i was thinking about trying it its catch and release only but has native trout neone down to give it a shot? maybe this weekend? or early next week!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
i was thinking about trying it its catch and release only but has native trout neone down to give it a shot? maybe this weekend? or early next week!
They let you fish that now legally ?

I used to fished for years in the san gabriel river (west fork) down below there, we used to hike the 6 miles in and fish everywhere there.

I always wanted to try up there but it was illegal back in those days !

I'll tell you this, there has to be HUGE trout up there and w/o question HUGE Largemouth bass ! many years ago when we had serious floods that whole canyon where the west fork rus was flooded out (if you've fished there for years you'll remember this) and they had to release max water out of the dam and the canyon got all washed out, well shortly after that I started catching largemouth bass in the stream....they weren't huge maybe 1lb to 1 1/2 lbs but they were STRONG fisgters ! that's why I believe there has to be HUGE LMB up in that reservoir.

When did they open that to fishing ?

I'm gonna have to take a run up there, I think my brother has a friend that has gate key access and can drive all the way back there too (not certain of that though)

Big Country
04-23-2010, 02:56 PM
you can get gate key access from the dept. of forestry. You're allowed to run the ridge from West fork ranger station all the way to Angeles Crest Hwy.

I'm not sure about fishing (legal or not) in Cogswell though.

DarkShadow
04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Cogswell has No Trespassing signs all around it. The road is open all the way to the reservoir, after being closed after 9/11 for some time, but you can't access the reservoir.

Its a great bike ride from the 39, especially the last 1/4 mile which is a huge grade.

tenderloin
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Because of the recent fire, you can only access and use the west fork up to the second bridge...You cannot go up to Cogswell for now. You are also not allowed to go off into any side canyons or trails including Bear Creek before the second bridge.

Cogswell has been closed to the public but when the area is open you can go around it and fish the creeks that are above it. Artificial lures with barbless hooks only. Limit 2 trout per day.

Rincon trail is also closed for now.

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Because of the recent fire, you can only access and use the west fork up to the second bridge...You cannot go up to Cogswell for now. You are also not allowed to go off into any side canyons or trails including Bear Creek before the second bridge.

Cogswell has been closed to the public but when the area is open you can go around it and fish the creeks that are above it. Artificial lures with barbless hooks only. Limit 2 trout per day.

Rincon trail is also closed for now.
Any info on the large afterbay thats below the dam (at least it was sizable back when I used to go there (20 years ago or so)
I sort of always had the impression is was off limits....that little body of water should hold some pigs as well.

Any info regarding that ?

marzocchi
04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I used to ride my bike up the trail so weekly so I can access Rincon and go on the 10 miles downhill bike ride. All the big trout died 3 years ago when the summer came and the lake was low. I fished it before and after the that summer. There was a bunch of 2-3 lb rainbows that would chase the chubs around. After Bobby drain the lake a bit that summer, all the trout died. But he said they will make a comeback from the littlerock rivers from devils canyon.

I did not ninja that Cogswell Reservior. I knew the Dam operator personally and rode my bike past his home every week going up to the dam. I always have my trout rod in my backpack and when there were too many bugs or it was too hot to complete the trail, he would let us fish the lake. Bobby no longer operates the dam. Someone else does now. And that guy does not let anyone...I mean anyone fish it. Dont even try to ninja it cause the house over looks the whole lake and the dogs will go crazy once they smell you.

old pudd fisher
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Cool reports guys, that place was a favorite for me 25 years ago. It brings back memories.

Jimbow
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
We used to backpack up the westfork 40 years ago! The reservoir was never open to public fishing that I can remember. Never forget the trout fishing trips to the west fork which was crystal clear all the way up to the reservoir. We used to always bring home the 10 fish limits back then. I was up there a few months back and you were not allowed past the second bridge because of the fire damage.

bouncer
04-24-2010, 12:36 PM
ya i really wanna try it i live kinda near it i live in littlerock and i ride dirt bikes so i will find a way haha then i will let u kno how the fishing is!

bouncer
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
i still wanna ninja it it makes it even more interesting hahaha

G-HOWARD-21
04-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah ive heard theres no public fishing in there but uve heard about the natural trout in there though. i would def ninja it for sure. ive gone a couple ninja missions in pacoima reservoir and they have a lot of natural trout in there. really beautiful too. ive seen a dead 2 pounder in there but heard theyve got them up to 6 lbs. the bass fishing was good for 1 to 1.5 lbers but only saw one with size my friend caught. it was 4 lbs. i know people that have caught 10 lb toads out of there though.

flyngby
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM

i still wanna ninja it it makes it even more interesting hahaha

Just some thoughts on you idea! You may get away with it and you might also get a visit to the Federal Court! There are 2 closures in effect due to last years Morris and Station Fires!

Here is a link to the Angeles N.F. Website! http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/

I can't get the actual links to work here but if you look under Forest orders you will find the following links!

The Station Fire Forest Closure Order.
Station Fire Closure Map.
The Morris Fire Forest Closure Order.
Morris Fire Closure Map.

Not your normal visit to the local municiple court.

Add the Trespass charge for being in the area of a Dam/ Resivoir which also falls under some Special 9/11 Homeland Security rules.

I guess it could be a fun trip but you better not make any waves if you get caught and piss off the officer.

Just some food for thought.

The Morris Fire was started by some teens fishing in a no tresspassing area and had to be rescued and treated for burn injuries and put the very firefighters there to suppress the fire at risk and focus their attention to details other than putting out the fire when it is at it's smallest potential.

The Station Fire was started by an Arsonist the day after the Morris Fire in another very rugged section of the forest.

We always want to blame Big Brother the Government for the closures but in reality we need to police our own and be responsible for the land we love to visit and expect to be preserved for our use!

Trust me! I lost My Backyard and beloved home in the Station Fire!

If you don't know what I am talking about just type in "My Backyard" in the search area of this site and find some of my posts of "My Backyard"

I miss my little wild trouts!

Sorry you were the Brunt of my rant and rave!

With Due Respect!

Steve