PDA

View Full Version : Convict lake campground closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simijab
04-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I just spoke with the resorts owner and they told me that the campground will be closed untill may 1. the ranger station is closed allready and reserve america knows nothing about it. Just a warning to any body going. I had reservations and tried to get my money refunded and they said that they knew nothing of it and the number they had to check on it was no longer in service:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Joshua
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
I wouldnt panic just yet. I camp at Four Jeffreys on Bishop South Fork for the opener. If you check online is doesnt show as being open. The campground has been open the Friday before the opener for the past 6 years (that I have been going there)

I would have a backup plan. Seems stupid that the campground at Convict wouldnt be open for the opener. The Reserve AMerica site is a call center, they dont know sheeeet.
Whatever is on their monitor is all they know.

simijab
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
I wouldnt panic just yet. I camp at Four Jeffreys on Bishop South Fork for the opener. If you check online is doesnt show as being open. The campground has been open the Friday before the opener for the past 6 years (that I have been going there)

I would have a backup plan. Seems stupid that the campground at Convict wouldnt be open for the opener. The Reserve AMerica site is a call center, they dont know sheeeet.

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but I check back and someone else answered the phone and they said the same thing. they said that there are going to be alot of mad people and they offered to help plow the campground and they never returned there call. and I have a back up plane but it is a little more expensive(condo in mammoth). I dont want to risk it so I will probably go there

seal
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Just an FYI from Sabrina's Web site.

Looks like the only Forestry campground open in Bishop Creek Canyon is BitterBrush - they're trying to get water on prior to the Opener, but with another storm due in Tuesday with 1/2 foot of snow predicted at the 7,000 ft level not sure what might happen. If there is NO water at BitterBrush it's free to camp, once the water is on, there is a $21.00 fee per night. Haven't heard the weather for the Opener, but you can check www.weather.gov and enter ASPENDELL, CA on the site and it will give you a fairly good hint at the weather or check in with Howard at www.MammothWeather.com..

http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com/Fishing_Report.html

Joshua
04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
I cant stress enough that the Camp America websites are a joke. I suggest calling the local forestry department. They will tell you if the roads are open. With a depressed economy they want to open the campgrounds to make they extra cash

Here is my backup plan. If Four Jefferys isnt open. I walk around the gate and put up my tent in the first available campsite. THere is a campground at Intake II that will have plowed roads.

For those wanting to Hit up Convict. Tuff Campground on Lower Rock Creek should be open. It is right off HWY 395

MammothMagic
04-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I have reservations at june lake campground and got a message when I arrived home to night to call because there were issues. Any clues, Is june loop snowed in also???

mammoth xfactor
04-22-2010, 06:44 AM
I'll take drive after I drop the kids off at school this morning. June was still frozen as of yesterday, Gull pretty frozen as of yesterday, Silver and Grant frozen solid. Bring some skates and an auger.

MammothMagic
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
I'll take drive after I drop the kids off at school this morning. June was still frozen as of yesterday, Gull pretty frozen as of yesterday, Silver and Grant frozen solid. Bring some skates and an auger.

Thanks I would greatly appreciate that.

simijab
04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I just got off the phone with the ranger station and they said that Convict lake Campground is closed and will be closed if the weather does not warm up by tomarrow. June lake campground is open and O campground is open you other guy will be safe

Sierra_Smitty
04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
I would urge everyone concerned with this to contact the appropriate USFS Ranger Station and make they understand how you feel. If you feel ignored, ask for a supervisor.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/contact/index.shtml

The weather we've had this spring is hardly out of the ordinary - if the demand for camping is there (which it obviously is), they need to get them open end of story. No excuses. No BS.

simijab
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I just spoke with the reserve america people and they just got confirmation of the campground closer so it looks like it is not opening I suggest that anyone that has reservation any where in the area call the ranger and the reserve america people.

IncredibleHuck
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Looks like Browns town is going to be a zoo!

STEVE IN SOCAL
04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm glad I bought my Independence Sportsmans Lounge a few years ago...I always have a place to stay! Check out the real estate prices there...lots of value for the outdoors types like us.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/southweststeve/cabin/boatmotor001.jpg

mammoth xfactor
04-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Just got back froma drive to June. Oh Ridge and June Lake campgrounds are open. June Lake has about 15-25% open water near the marina and the rest is frozen. June Lake marina has their boats in the water and so does the lodge next to the campground. This lake is gonna be busy with the lack of open water.
Gull Lake is about 75% open water. They too have their boats in the water and are ready to go. I think this will be the spot on the loop.
Right now it's 27 out and snowing. No wind. It should start warming up tomorrow with afternoon temps in the 50's. The weekend looks good with little to no wind Sat. morning warming up from the low 20's to the high 50's.

klymons
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
If the campground is closed--instead of draining your bank account staying at a condo in Mammath--you might want to consider one of the many motels in Bishop. They would be a lot less expensive, plus many of them have cleaning stations and freezers for your fish. Anyway, good luck for the opener--no hassles & full stringers!

Joshua
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I just got off the phone with the White Mtn office for Bishop. he said it was snowing on the hill
he said Bitterbrush is open. They are working on Four Jeffery and the forks. They need to get water turned on before they will officially open the campground. I told them that I would have no problems walking around a gate to pitch a tent. he laughed
The campground at Intake II will be accessible because they will plow the road to Intake II (I hope) I will find out tomorrow.
I wonder what this will do to the fishing planting this week. More fish in less water. This sucks because I like to fish the creeks Looks like I my bounce out early and head for the Kern River

spongecliff
04-22-2010, 03:32 PM
All. Just received an email at 3:00 p.m. from Reserve America/Recreation Gov. cancelling my reservation and refunding my money for Convict Lake Campground. (Dates 4/29 to 5/2) Note that I didn't call requesting this cancellation.

Sierra_Smitty
04-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I just got an update from the USFS regarding the campground situation....at least as it pertains to Bishop Creek.

Big Trees and one loop of Four Jeffrey were opened today. Add that to Bitterbrush and that makes 3 camping options for the Bishop Creek Drainage.

According to our contact - they are planning to open more campgrounds if the demand is there.

HOOORAY!

Also - the roads up the canyon are being maintained by Inyo County and Caltrans and should be clear for the stocking trucks.

IncredibleHuck
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
How does the area around Bishop Park camground look?

Sierra_Smitty
04-22-2010, 03:37 PM
How does the area around Bishop Park camground look?

Haven't been up there to be honest. There is probably a few inches of snow on the ground after the last 48 hours of weather.

Joshua
04-23-2010, 12:57 AM
If the road is OPen to your place, I will stop by. I wanna grab another copy of your book for a friend :Spam:

Sierra_Smitty
04-23-2010, 07:04 AM
If the road is OPen to your place, I will stop by. I wanna grab another copy of your book for a friend :Spam:

The road is open but we're not up there yet. Spellbinder books in town has 'em. I'll bring a copy up with me to the Lodge too in case I see you there.

sunny
04-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Those are Federal Goverment employees you are dealing with. There is no need to do a good job since no one ever can get fired. At the state level it is much worst since when ever there are issues they blame it on the budget cut backs.
Heck the State Parks hardly operated very effeciently in the 1st place.

I would urge everyone concerned with this to contact the appropriate USFS Ranger Station and make they understand how you feel. If you feel ignored, ask for a supervisor.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/contact/index.shtml

The weather we've had this spring is hardly out of the ordinary - if the demand for camping is there (which it obviously is), they need to get them open end of story. No excuses. No BS.