PDA

View Full Version : Stream Fishing

TopwaterBassin
04-20-2010, 08:01 PM
So, whats the regs. on stream fishing, anyone know. I remember back when I used to live in Big Bear it was legal, than the laws changed and you were only allowed to fish the mouth where the stream dumped into the lake, and were not allowed to cast up stream. Reason I ask is I was recently in Big Bear Lake fishing for Bass and saw a guy right next to me casting up the stream into the drain pipe to pull out the trout that were swimming back and forth. Also, we camp up at Seven Oaks, and it is legal to fish the stream there, so anyone want to clarify this?

bowler
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
"The trout are spawning up the streams a beautiful sight to see, but be aware it is against DFG regulations to fish in these streams, or any moving water coming from these streams." this is from a report.

You not allowed to fish the streams or the mouth of them in Big Bear Lake till after Memorial Day. You and the guy were in the wrong because you were both fishing the mouth of the stream. It it is legal to fishing the streams by Seven Oaks.

TopwaterBassin
04-20-2010, 08:28 PM
You and the guy were in the wrong because you were both fishing the mouth of the stream.

Thanks for the information and accusation that I was in the wrong. The guy next to me was used as an expression, not to be taken literally. Let me clarify: I was not fishing for Trout, casting upstream, nor was I fishing at the mouth. I was BASS fishing as stated, and was a minimum of 30-40'+ from the mouth along the shoreline, fishing the docks and structure.

bowler
04-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Here is a tip you should not even fish near the stream in Big Bear Lake in till after Memorial Day weekend so you can save yourself the trouble of getting a ticket.
here go to this website for Big Bear Lake lasted fishing reports
http://bigbear.com/fishing/report

TopwaterBassin
04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
I appreciate the info, I lived up there for 15 years, so I pretty much know the lake and how to fish it. I was just checking to see if the law had changed from the last I heard before I moved. No harm , no foul.

bowler
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
my parents have had a cabin up there for 20 years. But i never got to go fishing up there till Memorial Day weekend but i am going to try to get up there soon to fish.

TopwaterBassin
04-20-2010, 09:00 PM
The BASS fishing is off the hook right now, slow approach though, the water is still cold, but they are there. Good luck.

bowler
04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
ok thank you. i was in the Newspaper a long time ago for getting two nice bass in two different weekends in i the summer of 1990 i think. i was only seven at the time.

Piss on Myspace
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
yes it is completely legal to fish seven oaks, however youll only get rainbows a few days after they stock it. its shootin ducks in a barrel at the campground!. I would take a drive further down a few miles and hunt for the wilds. They maybe be small, but theres something about being secluded from everything and catching beautiful wild brown/rainbow trout that out weights a 12 inch stocker, with children screamin in the background.

always chasing for tail,
piss on myspace

bowler
04-21-2010, 04:01 PM
i have gotten brown on one cast and then cast in the same spot to get a rainbow down by seven oaks.

Natural Lefty
04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Bowler, I have had the same experience of catching Brown and Rainbow Trout from the same place in the Santa Ana River, only farther upstream close to where the south fork enters. Also, speaking of wild trout, the south fork has a good population of nothing but wild Brown Trout (as far as I can tell) upstream from the highway.

Topwaterbassin, the Santa Ana River has no special regs, but some creeks in the local mountains do have wild trout sections with special regs. The inlets to Big Bear open around Memorial Day, but are closed for now to let the trout spawn. You can fish in the lake next to the creeks now, just not in the creeks.

bowler
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
The inlets to Big Bear open around Memorial Day, but are closed for now to let the trout spawn. You can fish in the lake next to the creeks now, just not in the creeks.
The trout are spawning up the streams a beautiful sight to see, but be aware it is against DFG regulations to fish in these streams, or any moving water coming from these streams.

Natural Lefty
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Bowler, I didn't see anything about moving water coming from these streams in the regulations. The place where a stream stops moving the lakewater seems to be a subjective judgement. According to the regs, it is officially lake wherever the water is at lake level, whether the water is moving or not. You may be right, but it's not in my booklet. A few years ago, I took some guests from Taiwan up to Big Bear around this time of year. We stopped by Grout Creek, which was closed to fishing at the time, of course, but there was a large dog standing in the creek "fishing" for spawning trout. I tried to tell the dog it was breaking the law, but it wouldn't listen. The way the dog was acting, it must have caught some trout. My friends took some pictures of it "fishing."

Some places such as Tahoe or Eagle Lake have prohibitions against fishing within 100 or 150 feet of stream inlets. Of course, in that case, it may be hard to tell just where that dividing line is, too.

bowler
04-22-2010, 05:55 PM
go to this report page it say it in there that is were i got it from.
http://bigbear.com/fishing/report

FSHNLIC
04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I have been fishing the Big Bear inlets often this spring and have seen and spoken with several wardens. In the Grout Bay area stay to the right of the dock and you'll be fine. In Boulder Bay stay on the lake side of the road and all is well. Hope this helps... There's nothing in the regulation book that states you have to be 50 or 100 feet away from the inlet where the stream enters the lake.