PDA

View Full Version : Mend it glue?

reeladdiction09
04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
ive just gotten into throwing the smaller swimbaits like the basstrix fat minnow paddle tails in sizes from 4 to 6 inch and after a few good hits or the hook threads the wrong way the bait is pretty torn up. I was thinking that using mend it would save me from having to throw the bait away to repair the damage that the hook has done to the bait. Just wondering if anyone has used this product and wheter its worth getting or not.

Thanks
Adam,

DockRat
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Been useing superglue on ALL my swimbaits (saltwater)
They way I came up with is to lay the leadhead over the swimbait and take a sharpie then make a dot where you want the hook to come out (no guessing).

Then superglue up to the leadhead before hooking.

They stay on the hook (short bites)
They can be repaired (dry)
Fished last week with non glued swimbaits/leadheads (frikin frustrateing) almost every cast having to re-adjust the plastic after the first calico hits it and tears the bard.
Have them all glued up before you go. Use rags and laquer thinner. (kinda messy, gets on your fingers)
Lay on wax paper or hang while drying.
Good Luck.
DR

DarkShadow
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I find most super glues will dry out and damage the plastic, and while its good for knots and for securing purposes, it does not work too well if you are actually trying to repair the bait.

The "Mend It" type glues use a different composition that allows you to repair plastics without actually drying them out and damaging them. I didn't like the old Mend It bottle and after 2 weeks, I found it had dried out in my bag, but I know they're using a different packaging system now.

What I have been using now is the Huddlebond glue. It does a good job and keeps plastics soft and pliable. I do think about how the obnoxious smell might affect the fish actually biting the bait but I haven't seen any detrimental effects as of yet.