PDA

View Full Version : 4/20 Los Alamitos Bay 2nd St in Long Beach Another butt!!!

Phanatic
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Fished solo for about an hour from 10-11am. Parked my car right across the street from the small East Appian bridge and fished beside that bridge until I hooked this bad boy up.

He turns out to weigh exactly 6lbs and measures 25 3/4" long. This butt gulped my scentless 3" white zombie colored Big Hammer on a red colored 1/4 lb lead head on 4lb line. More dinner on the table for the rest of the week. :Big Grin:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/linh_olindzay/IMG_0945.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/linh_olindzay/IMG_0929.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/linh_olindzay/IMG_0930.jpg

ToonaTangler
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Nice one, way to go! Its a challenge on 4lb hats off to you for that!

Jaysuuun
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Congrats on the legal flattie.

lurk 182
04-20-2010, 03:40 PM
nice 1. can't hurt to eat a bay flattie now and again, it hasn't rained in a while. how big are those 1/4 lb. leadheads anyway:Secret: just playin, nice fish.

Fishbones
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
nice super legal butt....they have been hiding lately....good job

murrieta angler
04-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice job again Phan,
Keep up the good work,
Robert

jsfre
04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice fish... and blowing up the honey hole... hope the crowds don't pick up around there.

flyngby
04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
2 legals in 3 days!

MMMMMMMM Harbor Flatties.

Steve

BrandonFish
04-20-2010, 07:41 PM
nice flattie again on 4lb test! i actually fished over there Saturday but the weather was super bad i was more or less learning how to use my float tube with a rod in my hand=)

fishshep
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
On 4lb. test ???
That is unreal to me !!!
Now I feel more confident with
my 8lb. !!!!
GREAT Catch !!! Thanks for the
4lb. report!!!

Iron Only
04-20-2010, 09:12 PM
nice halibut. after eating it I hope you don't glow in the dark. nice work though.

blackwater
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Make sure that you space out the meal servings of those "harbor" Flatties. lol
Nice fish.

Phanatic
04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm not fond of eating these harbor fish as well. In fact I don't eat them at all. I rarely ever bring any fish home for dinner unless my parents really want me to bring it home. Oh don't worry, I've warned them about the unsafe levels of ddts, pcbs, and mercury but they have a lot to learn. I figured I'll let these two butts slide for now. :Wink:

DockRat
04-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Good looking Doormatt.
FYI
The Port is the cleanest it has been in the last 60 years. Kelp is growing all over the Jetties inside the harbor and the bait is thick and healthy. Dolphins come in daily at Pier J for feeding.

The pollution problem is the LA and San Gabrial Rivers. LA River has been getting worse and worse due to over population and city growth. Dominguez Channel is another urban gravity dump.

Gone are the days of leaky ships. oil, fuel spills. In the old days there was oil slicks in the back bays.

Water Quality

Green Port water quality projects protect and improve water quality by managing the activities that can cause water pollution.

Why Water Quality Matters to the Port Water Quality Brochure

Water from storm drains flows directly into the ocean. Pollution such as oil, grease, litter, dirt, and other pollutants can enter the harbor through the storm drains. Water pollution prevention is a focus at the Port because most of the 3,200 acres of Port land are paved and water drains directly into harbor waters. By improving water quality we are protecting our oceans, providing a healthy marine environment, and helping to ensure a sustainable place to live, work, and play for years to come.

Water Quality Improvement Efforts at the Port

Green Port Water Quality and Sediment Programs aim to improve water and sediment quality by managing Port activities that could impact harbor waters and sediments. Water and sediment quality in the Harbor District has greatly improved in recent decades, and surveys show steady improvement in fish diversity and bird species thriving in the harbor.

Master Storm Water Pollution Prevention Program

Created by the Port in 1992 in order to implement a systematic approach to storm water management throughout the Harbor District, the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Program includes all aspects of storm water management, including industrial, construction, municipal, and development activities. The program goes above and beyond what is required by federal and state law.

http://www.polb.com/environment/water_quality/default.asp

DR

jsfre
04-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I had been fishing this area everyday for the past three weeks and hadn't seen anyone else around. Since this report hit the fan I notice a 500-600% increase in the number of people fishing. With the crowds and the boat ramp renovation this place has really gotten busy. It has sent me to new water, that's for sure. Hopefully it doesn't get too much pressure, though the 4 or so rods per person soaking bait along the shore guarantees me it will.

kgselect
04-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Awesome catch, especially with 4lb. line. That's my tippet leader test on my fly rod. Great job.

smokehound
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Those warnings are largely bogus.

In fact, i can prove it -- They warn people not to eat topsmelt, yet in the same exact zone, Jacksmelt have NO warnings. Total bologna.

Its nice to be careful, hell I practice that in excess, but when you have a paranoid nervous wreck like me laughing at you for being scared to eat a halibut, then.. thats just sad. =\

fishmounter
04-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Actually that fish is OVER 26 inches. Measure to the longest tip of the Caudal fin (tail) with the fin in a relaxed position, not spread open.