PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for an early Eastern Sierra trip

exodus
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Hello all,

We are looking to go up to the Eastern Sierras on June 23rd - 28th. With all the snow that the sierras are getting this year, I am thinking that the hiking at the 10K+ elevation levels will not be viable just yet at that time. Or will it? That's what I'm here for. :Smile:

I understand that the further south we go, and the lower the elevation, the more likely it is that the terrain will be passable and so we are considering going to the Bishop Pass area and/or Rock Creek Lake area. Any tips on where we would be able to still hike into the back country for some great fishing even with the higher snow amounts this year?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

simijab
04-20-2010, 10:17 AM
well you never know with the sierras I have been there at that elevation in july and it snowed on us but that is rare. I think you guys should be fine by june most of thet snow is melted by then.

makokid
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
We hiked over Piute Pass (12K plus) out of North Lake last July 5th without any problems. Every year is different so check with the rangers before you go. One thing about last year was that the mosquitos were almost unbearable. We choose to wait unitl August this year to hopefully avoid most of them. Good luck and don't forget your wilderness permit.

exodus
04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Sorry if I confused, but we are only doing day hikes in the area, but it is still pretty easy to get into iced over lakes and snow that is uncrossable.

Sierra_Smitty
04-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Barring an abnormally cold spring and early summer - most of the day-hike lakes from Bishop Creek north to Bridgeport should be accessible. Mosquitos will be brutal.

fishtacomag
04-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Barring an abnormally cold spring and early summer - most of the day-hike lakes from Bishop Creek north to Bridgeport should be accessible. Mosquitos will be brutal.
what do you know about day hikes in Bishop??? Oh thats right--you wrote the book!!!!
Smitty lets try to meet up Thursday or Friday...

oakboy
04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Smitty-

I have been wanting to get your book. Where do i find it down here is Southern California? Im in the OC area. Can i order it on-line? Thanks, im headed up to the Sierras in mid may so i am hoping to put the book to good use.

<><
KP

IncredibleHuck
04-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Smitty-

I have been wanting to get your book. Where do i find it down here is Southern California? Im in the OC area. Can i order it on-line? Thanks, im headed up to the Sierras in mid may so i am hoping to put the book to good use.

<><
KP

I picked mine up at the Long Fin! It's a great read!