PDA

View Full Version : wanting some help with baitcast set up

cartmanis
04-19-2010, 04:20 AM
well im thinking about getting into bass and i want to try a baitcast i like my spin reels just fine but i just want to try something new im looking to spend about 300 for the whole setup i was thinking an abu Garcia revo sx and abu garcia vendetta rod in the 7 MH foot range which would put me around 250 and leave me with 50 bucks to pick up some good line, prolly braid? not sure. this will be my first bait caster and i want the best i can get for around 300, something thats not gonna have me wishing i had spent another 50 bucks for a big improvement... im not looking to spend anymore than that cause my $180 st. crox mojo rod/bps johnny morris spin set up is really good imo and i just dont wanna spend more than 300 lol preferably less but 300 is max for rod/reel

Nessie Hunter
04-19-2010, 06:17 AM
That set up is great..... Revo rocks....

On the expensive side for a test outfit??? What if you dont like it??

Just got an email add from a store I have bought from (Revo Inshore) and they have some Daiwa Megaforce PLUS reels on sale for $49 (1/2 off).. Not a bad price for a decent reel to test you skill with...
http://www.gloomis.us/Daiwa-Casting-Reels-138696/6263488-Daiwa-Megaforce-Plus/ProductInfo.aspx

They are G-loomis dealer also, look around youll see some great prices...

Im getting hooked on the Dobyns Rods myself... Super rods for good prices..

cartmanis
04-19-2010, 03:01 PM
i figure ill buy it out at bass pro gives me 30 days to learn it. i dont wanna have the feeling of i shoulda spent more if i do like it. with that said is there any other set ups you would recommend for less? thanks for the help so far. da@#@ i could have won a revo sx-L for 105 brand new off ebay i might have to rethink and just tough it out no matter what and learn it if i go that route there def is cheaper places to get after more research, can get the pole for 50 bucks and reel just went for 105...

Nessie Hunter
04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Im a fan of Daiwa...
But have to say, you cant beat the Curado Reels..... Lots of them out there and they go reasonable...

Dont know a lot about Rods, there are so darn many options with them....
But the Dobyns Rods are one of,if not the best and they are not overly expensive...
Waiting for Delivery of a new Dobyns Drop Shot Rod right now???

P.A.W.
04-20-2010, 08:17 AM
I just went through the same thing. Ended up with aa Abu Garcia Ambasadeur 5600. Old school reel but pretty much fool proof for a beginner. I have been using it now for a few months and have never wished I had done it differently. I have since then picked up a Currado too. It is a bit more picky about casting in windy conditions and is the one reel out of the two that had backlashed on me. Both have their pros and cons, but for a beginner the Ambassadeur is really tough and simple to use. Very affordable too.

lalo56
04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I just went through the same thing. Ended up with aa Abu Garcia Ambasadeur 5600. Old school reel but pretty much fool proof for a beginner. I have been using it now for a few months and have never wished I had done it differently. I have since then picked up a Currado too. It is a bit more picky about casting in windy conditions and is the one reel out of the two that had backlashed on me. Both have their pros and cons, but for a beginner the Ambassadeur is really tough and simple to use. Very affordable too.

On your curado have you tried engaging some weights to help you not to backlash?

P.A.W.
04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
yup, engaged 2 weights. I will have it dialed in before long, but it's just not as idiot proof as the Ambasadeur.

lurk 182
04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
stick with two brakes on, that's the way they come from Shimano. just adjust the cast control knob until where you can avoid backlash most of the time. as you get better, keep backing off the cast control knob until you don't want it anymore. i'd say you've got fifty hours of fishing to get until where you're pretty comfortable. throw nothing under 1/2 oz. till you get there.

bman90278
04-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Not sure if you are still leaning towards the Revo S, but I just picked on up at Walmart in Torrance for $74.00. They had just gotten it in last week by the date and it was the last one left. You might check the other Walmart's if interested. If not, I'm a big fan reels, poles and prices of BPS. Good luck to ya.

brian

GeordyBass
04-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I would just get a Curado and a Compre or Clarus rod for the same price.... better reel and rod has lifetime warranty... Vendetta doesn't.

a biley
04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Shimano Curado and a Shimano Crucial, that's just about $300

mrjonez
05-20-2010, 04:12 PM
i have a revo inshore setup that i use for… well, inshore. for freshwater i use a team daiwa advantage on a turners californian rod. it's a great set-up and will come in well under $300.

reeladdiction09
05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Pick up a carrot stix and a citca 200e great set up and lifetime warranty on both the rod and the reel

srsnow
05-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I have a Revo SX and a Daiwa Tierra both are nice but the Revo is a little nicer in the features and I personaly like the knobs on the handle more. Powell makes good rods that are not too expensive I have also heard some good stuff about the new Mojo Bass from St. Croix.

WormFisher
05-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a Revo SX-HS great reel you should be able to get one on ebay for around 100 or get a Silver Curado not the green ones you should be able to get them for the same amount. If you have the money Dobyns are great rods and if you want to save Powells are very good too.
I have a Powell 702 and a 704CB and a Dobyns 703.