PDA

View Full Version : Slay day! at Castaic 4/17/2010

fishinone
04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
:Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch::

I had the pleasure to fish with Tom, Craig, Marsha and Caleb on Saturday.

The day started out with problems. I had trailer trouble and had to stop at Roberto's Boat Repair in Castaic. Roberto is a stand up guy. He did a great job for a great price and he replaced my hub in a huge hurry because we were on out way to go fishing and he wanted to get us out there. He's earned my future business.

We picked up some really fresh dines from Gallion's, got on the water and made it to "The Secret Fishing Hole" by about 11:30.

We started out right by farming a few fish. The idea that you reap what you sow wound up working out for us.:LOL:

It was a while before we got it together and started putting some in the boat.

Hear's Tom with a fish.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4-17-2010/IMG00002-20100417-1251.jpg

I talked Caleb into helping me reel one in and it turned out to be the biggest of the day 4.5 lb.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4-17-2010/IMG00004-20100417-1341.jpg

We had a steady pick until 2:15 when we pulled up steaks and went to the ramp to pick up Marsha and drop Caleb off. We had 11 fish in the boat.

We surveyed some other spots on the way back to the buoy line. I found some fish that I believe I can catch but didn't stop. I figured it for a backup spot because I wanted to get back to the spot that I knew was working.

We had consistent action after we got set back up. At times it was rapid. Once I looked down at the fishfinder and saw a massive school. I called out that every pole in the boat should get bit and they did. We got 2 out of 3.

Around 5:30 I was baiting poles as fast as I could then putting the bait back at the magic depth. My farming was paying off but I really prefer a little better hookup ratio.:LOL:

Craig and Marsha came along for the boat ride and were enjoying the beautiful day and our company of coarse.:Big Grin:.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4-17-2010/IMG00006-20100417-1755.jpg

At the end of the day the predatory by-catch showed up in some numbers and Tom caught 2 of the green monsters.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4-17-2010/IMG00005-20100417-1754.jpg

My friend Mike came along and set up next to us and caught some fish. He and his fishing partner had 15 fish in the boat when I talked to him last.

There were three guys in kayaks there later on. They were catching some fish. One of them told me it was his first day fishing for striper.

I was on my hands and knees picking conscious smaller striper out of the fish hold and throwing them overboard when I heard Mike say "Now there are fish jumping out of the boat.".:Smile: I guess that says it all.:Razz:

We just had a blast out there. Lots of fun and lots of fish.

I gave a bunch of fish away on the way home and put the rest on ice. My back was killing me. There was no way I could fillet them last night.

I took a photo of them today when I got them out of the cooler.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4-17-2010/IMG00009-20100418-1606.jpg

We caught 25 to 27 striper Saturday,
plus 2 of the green monster by-catch.

Robo Bass
04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice, congrats on slaying

LuvThymetal
04-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Lots of fish you got there, good job.

CAPT'N
04-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Ron,

you are one striper killer !

Congrats on the nice slay

Capt'n

kpn
04-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Ron,
Good job on the stripers slay. Look like everyone had a good time out.

KPN.

fishinone
04-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Nice, congrats on slaying

Thank you,

You tube the lower lake don't you? Should be hopping right now.

Lots of fish you got there, good job.

Thank you,

I'm looking fish reports from you. Come on, get out there your not far from Castaic.:Smile:

Ron,

you are one striper killer !

Congrats on the nice slay

Capt'n

Thanks Scott. I had a blast Saturday. When I wasn't catching fish I was loosing bait. No matter how much they steal you get some.:LOL:

Ron,
Good job on the stripers slay. Look like everyone had a good time out.

KPN.

Thanks Khahn, We were in the spot you and I fished. It was wide open. I wish you had been there. With your hookup ratio you could have really put up some numbers.:EyePop:

msos
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Nice report. You are one of the pro. I read your report all the time and trying to learn from you on how to slay those stripers.

fishinone
04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Nice report. You are one of the pro. I read your report all the time and trying to learn from you on how to slay those stripers.

Thank you, it's nice of you to say that.

If you really want to learn how to catch striper', take a trip with Trout Only. His ad is at the top of the page and here's a link to his website, http://troutonly.net/.

He's the real expert. He puts his show on the road better than most do it on their home lake.

TroutOnly
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
GREAT JOB ON THE STRIPERS RON ,DONT YOU HATE WHEN THOSE GREEN FISH GET IN THE WAY,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
GREAT JOB ON THE STRIPERS RON ,DONT YOU HATE WHEN THOSE GREEN FISH GET IN THE WAY,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea! No doubt. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :BabbleFish:

karlow
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Yea! No doubt. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :BabbleFish:

You guys did better than us, I there on Sat with Joe. We were in a 17' tracker. I thought we were the hot sticks at that time, but I guess not! I had a great start, I put the first three on the boat as Joe watched. None of my fish came from the flyline. I landed seven up to about 3 lbs, Joe got four on the line and we tried a few more spots. After someone move the line we went from 80' with fish on the meter to 100' of dead water. We left as the two yaks were showing up. Joe got one more in the E-cayon. I never got another bite on Sat. We left about 3:30. The b-line bite seemed better before noon. The fish liked the wind. I knew the bite was going to slow down as the weather got nicer.
We got fish!

Fishbones
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
awesome striper slay Ron....great days fishing indeed..

fishinone
04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
You guys did better than us, I there on Sat with Joe. We were in a 17' tracker. I thought we were the hot sticks at that time, but I guess not! I had a great start, I put the first three on the boat as Joe watched. None of my fish came from the flyline. I landed seven up to about 3 lbs, Joe got four on the line and we tried a few more spots. After someone move the line we went from 80' with fish on the meter to 100' of dead water. We left as the two yaks were showing up. Joe got one more in the E-cayon. I never got another bite on Sat. We left about 3:30. The b-line bite seemed better before noon. The fish liked the wind. I knew the bite was going to slow down as the weather got nicer.
We got fish!

I tried LMB when I was a kid, before anybody ever heard of catch and release. They taste bad. Catch And Release for LMB was an easy sell. People would have been looking for a reason to throw them back.

It sounds like you guys had a good day. The last time I was up in E Canyon the fish had moved up. It won't be long and they'll be half way up to the beach.

awesome striper slay Ron....great days fishing indeed..

Thanks fishbones. We'll have to try it again now that the wind has calmed down and the fish are biting. I want to put Eric on some striper.

yolo
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Looks like a great day out on the water. The fish were a bonus.

scvbasser
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
i was fishing the same area of the bouyline sat. morn. .left around noon.i waas fishing by myself in one of castaics rental.ended with 6 stripers up to 5 lbs. . caught all on dines and flylined.2 on split shot toward bottom.seems like we all did pretty good. thanx all for sharing.

fishincrave
04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Great job Fishinone you guys had an awsome day brother.
I love it when there's ppl on your boat and everyone is hooked up and your like baiting all the hooks for them tossing fish in the livewell fish jumping all around the boat. *** Pandamonium ***

Sean

fishinone
04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I forgot to put in one detail. I've got an old St. Croix E-Glass casting rod that my father in law gave to me. He didn't say so but I assume he means for my son to have it when he can appreciate it.

Well it's a noodle so I tried it out to see if the striper would hook themselves. I got a bite on it and turned to grab it, hit it with my knee knocked it out of the rod holder and down it goes. I nearly dove overboard to get it but remembered that I was carrying lots of expensive electronics.

I put an ice jig on another pole an started trying to catch it, caught another fish on the other pole then went back to jigging and caught it. Whew!! I'm glad I didn't have to swim down to get it!

Looks like a great day out on the water. The fish were a bonus.

That's true, but on a day when I'm not catching, I have trouble seeing it that way.:Crying:

i was fishing the same area of the bouyline sat. morn. .left around noon.i waas fishing by myself in one of castaics rental.ended with 6 stripers up to 5 lbs. . caught all on dines and flylined.2 on split shot toward bottom.seems like we all did pretty good. thanx all for sharing.

Isn't this board a great way to get to know people. I fished out there for years and only knew a few people. I joined FNN and now I'm getting to know lots of other fishermen.

Thank you (WebMaster) Jeff!

Great job Fishinone you guys had an awsome day brother.
I love it when there's ppl on your boat and everyone is hooked up and your like baiting all the hooks for them tossing fish in the livewell fish jumping all around the boat. *** Pandamonium ***

Sean

I love having a boat load of people catching but I actually had an easy day of it Saturday. The one guy actually fishing is a fisherman. That made it easy for me.