PDA

View Full Version : Fishing LA River Monsters !

DockRat
04-18-2010, 07:14 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/otis357/animal-planet-river-monsters-photo0.jpg

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/river-monsters/

To define a 'River Monster' the fish must be able to 'Take a Human Life' :Shocked:

Seen this dude fishing LA River near LB so I thought I'd check it out. What is he fishing for from a distance I wondered. So I treked down lovely LA River to chat with this tattooed angler.

'Carp' he said. And boy oh boy they were schooling and breaking water all over the place.
Some appeared to be about 2' and the guy said he got a 13 lber the other day.

So I decided to hit the spot after work. Stopped at Big 5 for some #6 dough treble hooks and some clear torpedo bobbers the Food 4 Less for some biscuit dough and a 24 oz BL.

No bites on the Country Pop N Fresh biscuit dough rolled into quarter size balls. As the sun setted these carp were about 15' from me and in less than a foot of water eating around the rocks. This spot is about half the size of a football field.

Due to the Extreme Pollution of the LA River these fish could have high levels of heavy metals and should not be consumed by humans. Daily consumtion of these mercury laden fillets could result in premature death of humans thus making them 'River Monsters' :Shocked:

I'm going back after coming up with a better bait for CPR (catch photo release)

Need FNN ers to recommend 'Carp Bait' recipe or advise on hooking one of these beasts ?

DR

Troutman65
04-18-2010, 10:26 AM
All I know about Carp fishing is that you mix the dough at the water your fishing at . Good luck

Marine_Michael
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
There have been more than a few threads on here about carp fishing/baiting tactics. Sweet corn, cornmeal, masa, corn tortillas, popcorn, bread, and a few other things I can't remember have been recomended. Also recomended is the use of light line and small hooks, since they seem to be line shy like trout.

Good luck out there.