PDA

View Full Version : Why do people put fish in the well unless absolutely necessary?

frisbee
04-17-2010, 07:32 PM
why do people put fish in the well unless absolutely necessary? Especially this time of year.
Why beat up the fish and make them harder to catch next time?

just figured I'd throw that one out there and see how interesting the responses get.

Matt_Magnone
04-17-2010, 08:25 PM
people do it to gauge their bag weight. some people throw them in the livewell also to seed new water.

some guys argue that by releasing fish immediately, you'll kill your bite. by throwing a fish in the livewell you'll keep the fish in a positive feeding mode.

during the spawn its absolutely rediculous in my opinion. by an angler moving fish from point A to point B he puts the eggs in risk of potential predators destroying them.

Danny300
04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
stroking their egos, so they can take a pic at the end of the day

Troutman65
04-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I know of some putting trout in the live well and waiting to catch larger models . When they do catch the larger ones they let the smaller go . This is called Culling or Highgrading .

Ifishtoolittle
04-18-2010, 12:56 AM
people do it to gauge their bag weight. some people throw them in the livewell also to seed new water.

some guys argue that by releasing fish immediately, you'll kill your bite. by throwing a fish in the livewell you'll keep the fish in a positive feeding mode.

during the spawn its absolutely rediculous in my opinion. by an angler moving fish from point A to point B he puts the eggs in risk of potential predators destroying them.

This concept is especially true with offshore fishing.

AngryAgent
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Doing it during the spawn isn't right IMO but other times when we mark a decent number of fish on a spot and then anchor up we keep the fish in the livewell until we split from that spot so as not to chase any more biters away after a release.

phantom 34
04-18-2010, 11:42 AM

maybe you can help me with this matt.
can you put small under size fish(bass in particular)in the live well so you can take pics with them at the docks and then release them?

Marine_Michael
04-18-2010, 11:55 AM
maybe you can help me with this matt.
can you put small under size fish(bass in particular)in the live well so you can take pics with them at the docks and then release them?

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to take pic of them at the dock? What's wrong with taking a pic of the fish on the boat and then releasing it?

phantom 34
04-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you need to take pic of them at the dock? What's wrong with taking a pic of the fish on the boat and then releasing it?

thats my point.i just wanted to know if undersize fish(bass) were allowed in the live well.cause i saw a family pulling a few bass out of their live well( all looked undersize ).to take some pics at the dock. i always take my pics where i catch them and release them on the spot.

Marine_Michael
04-18-2010, 02:17 PM
thats my point.i just wanted to know if undersized fish(bass) were allowed in the live well.cause i saw a family pulling a few bass out of their live well( all looked undersized ).to take some pics at the dock. i always take my pics where i catch them and release them on the spot.

Well don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that any fish put into a live well is by DFG standards is considered "take" and if checked can and would be fined the same as they would if they had them on a stringer or in their cooler.

TopwaterTony
04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I know of some putting trout in the live well and waiting to catch larger models . When they do catch the larger ones they let the smaller go . This is called Culling or Highgrading .

This is actually illegal to do for trout in California.

Matt_Magnone
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
its not legal but its pretty much a fly by the seat of your pants type of deal. you aren't allowed to have fish in your possession if they do not meet the DFG minimum length requirements.

TopwaterTony
04-18-2010, 07:20 PM
its not legal but its pretty much a fly by the seat of your pants type of deal. you aren't allowed to have fish in your possession if they do not meet the DFG minimum length requirements.

Question: I’ve just heard that it is against the law for us to keep trout alive in our boat’s livewell while we continue fishing. We’ve often done this in the past to keep the fish alive and healthy so that we can have the option of releasing them later if we are lucky enough to catch larger fish. Is this really not legal? (Jim B.)

Answer: This practice is illegal for a number of reasons, and over the years a lot of trout fishermen have been cited for doing just what you describe. Here's what California law states on the matter: 1) “No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat” (ref. Section 4.00[e].)

Once an angler has a limit of trout (or a limit of any species) in possession, the angler may not continue fishing for more in an attempt to trade larger fish caught with smaller fish already in possession or in their livewell. This practice would be called “upgrading” or “high grading” and is illegal everywhere.

Catch and release fishing for trout is also not allowed once the bag limit is filled. The primary reason for this is because to “… pursue, catch, capture or kill fish … or attempting to do so” is still defined as “take” (ref. Section 1.80). Also, there is no assurance that any returned fish will survive for the long-term following release, and this translates to over harvest. (ref. Section 7.00).

The only way for an angler to continue fishing at this point is if they change location, tactics, bait and/or gear to clearly target other species, such as bass or crappie. After doing all of this, if any trout are accidentally caught but then immediately released, there should be no violation.

According to DFG, at least if the live well has water and fish are in live condition, but I am not sure if putting a stringer on that changes it, or if you just have to put them on ice ??? http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08053.html

viperman100
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Interresting topic especialy now during spawning season. I was told at the dock by the dock employee that if you should catch a bedding bass you should put it in your livewell and wait around for a couple minutes and when the female comes out to take the males place at the nest you should fish her out as well because she is a bigger more aggresive fish it would be easier to catch her if she is the only one guarding the nest. Needless to say I didnt attempt this, infact I now chose not to fish bedding bass at all, but that is just my preference. As for the live well issue, I dont even turn it on at all, I just dont use it.

Fish Dog
04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I've always heard the real reason they don't want trout in the livewells is that there are some people who use them for live bait.

frisbee
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
This issue seems more complicated than I first thought.
Last year I went fishing at Castaic upper and saw trout schooled by the launch ramp and figured I would catch my limit for a BBQ that night. I caught them and went to the rental shack/tackle shop and got two bags of ice. I didn't have a cooler, nor would I want to take up space when I have empty wells, so I put the ice in a well with no water in it and the valve was shut. It was hot and the ice melted quickly. Someone reported me to the lifeguards I guess (seeing me catch trout and get ice), and they pulled alongside my boat to investigate a while later while I was fishing. One of the trout was still gasping in the slushy water. After a short discussion amongst themselves they decided I was not up to no good and told me to make sure they are dead next time.
So this leads me to my question: Why are we allowed to keep live (legal size)largemouth and smallmouth bass in our wells when they can conceivably be used as bait also? Would panfish or striped bass have to be dead to be legally put in a well?

JohnMarino
04-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Question: I’ve just heard that it is against the law for us to keep trout alive in our boat’s livewell while we continue fishing. We’ve often done this in the past to keep the fish alive and healthy so that we can have the option of releasing them later if we are lucky enough to catch larger fish. Is this really not legal? (Jim B.)

Answer: This practice is illegal for a number of reasons, and over the years a lot of trout fishermen have been cited for doing just what you describe. Here's what California law states on the matter: 1) “No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat” (ref. Section 4.00[e].)

This issue seems more complicated than I first thought.
Last year I went fishing at Castaic upper and saw trout schooled by the launch ramp and figured I would catch my limit for a BBQ that night. I caught them and went to the rental shack/tackle shop and got two bags of ice. I didn't have a cooler, nor would I want to take up space when I have empty wells, so I put the ice in a well with no water in it and the valve was shut. It was hot and the ice melted quickly. Someone reported me to the lifeguards I guess (seeing me catch trout and get ice), and they pulled alongside my boat to investigate a while later while I was fishing. One of the trout was still gasping in the slushy water. After a short discussion amongst themselves they decided I was not up to no good and told me to make sure they are dead next time.
So this leads me to my question: Why are we allowed to keep live (legal size)largemouth and smallmouth bass in our wells when they can conceivably be used as bait also? Would panfish or striped bass have to be dead to be legally put in a well?

Good point; I had no clue you can not have live trout in your livewell. It shouldnt be any different then a bluegill, redear or any other fish! Catfish, bass, carp, striper. If thats the case then all livewell fish should be dead, lol. Or at least a undersize limit, No trout under 12 or under 15 inches live inside of your livewell should be a rule if they are worried about the poachers/baiters

Matt_Magnone
04-19-2010, 07:01 AM
this is a touchy subject. undersized fish are undersized fish. legally we are not to be in possession of fish if they dont meet the required minimums. period.

bed fishing its common knowledge to hold on to the male or drop him 50yards down the bank and in due time the fat girl will move back up on the bed. biingo. you got your opportunity at a larger fish. once you catch the fat girl dump the male and be on your way.

its definately touchy

Hog Caller
04-19-2010, 08:26 AM
It appears to me that the spawn can be seriously affected by tournies and other fishermen removing bedding fish. That's thousands and tousands of eggs from each female fish that will never have a chance. Bedding fish should not be allowed in tournaments and anyone that calls themselves a true bass fisherman would release them right back on the bed they caught them off of. Why would you complain and b@$#% about someone keeping one fish to eat and yet ruin the opportunitry for thousands of bass to be hatched by pulling a bedding fish out and taking for a ride around the lake all day in your livewell and then just dumping it back in anywhere.
I really don't believe that the hundreds upon hundreds of bass released at the dock are going quicky bed and spawn there.

It doesn't make sense to me???????

Brent

Matt_Magnone
04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
It appears to me that the spawn can be seriously affected by tournies and other fishermen removing bedding fish. That's thousands and tousands of eggs from each female fish that will never have a chance. Bedding fish should not be allowed in tournaments and anyone that calls themselves a true bass fisherman would release them right back on the bed they caught them off of. Why would you complain and b@$#% about someone keeping one fish to eat and yet ruin the opportunitry for thousands of bass to be hatched by pulling a bedding fish out and taking for a ride around the lake all day in your livewell and then just dumping it back in anywhere.
I really don't believe that the hundreds upon hundreds of bass released at the dock are going quicky bed and spawn there.

It doesn't make sense to me???????

Brent

there's no doubt about it dude. it has been known that bass will take up residence on a vacant bed but i can guarantee you that a bass on the west end that is weighed and released on the north east end will not travel a million miles back to his nest.

everyone that knows me knows that i relate all my fishing circumstances to how a human goes through everyday life. fish are like humans in every sense of the word. drive down the freeway on a 7 hour drive and see a mini mart. damn well you'lre gonna stop for either a break, some gas or a quick snack. bass will be moving down a creek channel and see a nice rock pile. damn dude he'll think. lemme take a break and snag a snack. think about it.

now imagine you and a bunch of friends head to hollywood. you all get hammered and get into a fight and your buddies leave you there. stupid analogy but think about it. they all ditch you. where the hell are you gonna go. you have no ride, and no way of contacting anybody to get you. you know you wanna get the hell back home but how fast will you actually get there.

fish WILL migrate. just not right away and not miles and miles away.

i couldnt agree more brent. unfortunately entering a bass tournament you're in the hunt to win. this time of year sometimes its the only way. i HATE bed fishing and i HATE when fish are in this neutral to negative feeding mode. pissing a fish off that you can visually see in my opinion doesnt make an angler in my opinion excellent but rather patient.

now T minus ten minutes before i get bashed. :LOL:

i agree with your whole statement brent but i agree on the tournaments defense too.

Hog Caller
04-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Great analogy Matt.
I don't begrudge the tourny guys at all. It's just that a lot of people say mean things to people for keeping one or two "legal" fish on here and yet do more themselves in one day to damage the fishery and seem to think of themselves as the true "defenders" if you will of bass.

Brent

seal
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Great analogy Matt.
I don't begrudge the tourny guys at all. It's just that a lot of people say mean things to people for keeping one or two "legal" fish on here and yet do more themselves in one day to damage the fishery and seem to think of themselves as the true "defenders" if you will of bass.

Brent

I wish I could have written some of my past thoughts on this subject as clearly as you have.

Hog Caller
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks Seal,

I grew up in Texas eating bass and have a great respect for them. I haven't eaten or kept a bass in 35 years, but do not hold any ill feelings to those that are fishing within the limits of the law. The limits are there because the fishery can sustain the fish being taken. Sometimes people don't seem to think things all the way through and make harsh statements based upon rash decisions.

Brent

DockRat
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Too many people worry about pics, look at my catch, whatever.
If you have concern for the fish then let them go right away.
Keeping them in a livewell to get banged up or for a dumb pic somewhere else makes no sense.

everyone that knows me knows that i relate all my fishing circumstances to how a human goes through everyday life. fish are like humans in every sense of the word.

Now T minus ten minutes before i get bashed. :LOL:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk157/dyedinthewool/Smilies/nuts.gif ' Fish are like humans ' http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk157/dyedinthewool/Smilies/nuts.gif

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/ghatland/crazy.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Lianne021/Mermaid.jpg Human Fish ?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn126/qu1nnc/fishheadimage.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/sevende/tumblr_kt80d9YdYL1qzoaqi.jpg

DR

seal
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks Seal,

I grew up in Texas eating bass and have a great respect for them. I haven't eaten or kept a bass in 35 years, but do not hold any ill feelings to those that are fishing within the limits of the law. The limits are there because the fishery can sustain the fish being taken. Sometimes people don't seem to think things all the way through and make harsh statements based upon rash decisions.

Brent

No thank YOU! Oh and I've only kept LMB once because I was told it was good to eat, had to try it for myself, I thought it wasn't a very tasty fish at all and would never keep another one. But like you an occasional fish kept by others I would never have a problem with. I kind of think this whole thing can be chalked up to Human Nature. We start something that is good (catch and release) and some take it too far and start placing judgement on others and it get's way out of control.