PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 4-17

etaggart
04-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Got the tube in the water by the observatory around 8:30am after sleeping in. Beautiful morning, barely a breeze with the day trying to figure out if it was going to be warm or cool.

I had gulp and a power worm hanging about 18' under a bobber and 3 flies in line on my fly rod to see what might work.

I missed a light but solid hit on the bobber around 9:45. At 10:15 I landed a nice healthy 19" trout caught on an olive matuka (Thanks, Adam! That was an old one you tied I had in my box from last year.) Didn't get very good pix, but tried (see attached). Had my scale but forgot to weigh him. After a while he started spluging, and I tossed him back for someone else to catch later.

No more bites for me the rest of the morning (stopped around 1pm). From maybe 9:30 to 10:30, the breeze had died down and I got hot enough to take off the jacket. The breeze picked up around 11am and it was strong, but not the gale force of last weekend. Cooled off with some light clouds so had to put the jacket back on, but still a nice morning. Water is still cool, but warming a tiny bit - not sure of the actual surface temp.

There was a small handful of boaters and tubers where many reported 2 or 3 trout each, so the bite's definitely picking up, but it wasn't wide open. Most trollers reported their bites were at the bottom (probably 20'-25').

Cheers!

ET

diamondbear
04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
BEAUTIFUL HOLDOVER FISH , I need to get up there . I'll say hi next time I troll pass you .

bassnet
04-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Heck yeah, beautiful fish! What's that thing at the back of the trout where the nub usually is? Looks like a tail of some sort...

Troutman65
04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice trout . Thanks for the report

AngryAgent
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I was up there on Friday and we did really good. You have to search for the fish though and search for the right schools. Not all of them are biters. We seen a lot of fish but it was work to find the ones that wanted to bite, once we did it was on and we landed a decent amount of fish in about 2 hours. Search around fellas they're there.

Marine_Michael
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Great looking fish, and loving the full tails.