PDA

View Full Version : Isabella Lake Crappie and Trout

Fishin Magician
04-17-2010, 07:38 AM
The bite is on for the crappie at Isabella. Easy limits of fish up to 2 lbs being reported from areas of Kissack Cove French Gulch and Rocky point. Fishing from shore one of my guests had an easy limit using the jig and bobber. My neighbor caught and released all he wanted with fish up to 2 lbs from his float tube. Trout fishing with powerbait has been very good at the auxilary dam, Paradise cove and Camp 9. Trollers using Raplas and spoons are scoring as well. I'm going out sometime today when I finish my work here at the lodge. I will give a first hand report later.
Take your kids fishing.
John

MarkyMark
04-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Great news!! Check pm

Fishin Magician
04-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I went to French Gulch to see whats up. I was only able to fish from noon till 2 but still managed 4 crappie and a nice 2lb trout all on the jig. Saw a couple nice stringers from earlier in the day. I imagine the mornings and evenings would be better. I'm going to try to get back out this eve if the wife will let me or join me. Expect more as The bite is just starting.

BakoBassin
04-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey John, thanks for the report. You still own that spot there by the river? I remember you from the old Kern River Valley message board. Good to see you're still at it.

Fishin Magician
04-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Yes I still own the RiverView Lodge in Kernville. Unfortunately with no fish planting on the Kern for over a year there wasn't much to report so I was doing a lot more white water rafting and mountain biking. They resumed bi-weekly stocking in February and weekly stocking will start with the general trout season next weekend. The river should be back to its normal great fishing soon.
The lake has always been a great backup and this year has been exceptional. There was a huge crappie spawn the last 2 years everything points to big fish and big numbers. Most fish I've seen have averaged a pound and lots of 2+ lb. fish are being caught. There was a bass tournamern yesterday and I heard of 2 to 3 lb crappie being caught by the bass fishermen on crank baits and senkos.
I'll try to find out the results of the tournament and post the winning weight. I'll be all over the crappie for the next few weeks.

BakoBassin
04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Cool...We found the crappie to be not as cooperative at Kissack today. Buddy and I caught a few. Only saw a few others caught. Also a few trout. We stopped by the river for a few right by your place and caught zero. Got a couple of crappie to bite at French on the way back.

fishfinder
04-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow the "fishing Magician" Haven't seen a report from you in awhile. Glad to see you are still up to your magic. And haven't fished with you for a bout four years. You still at the hotel on the river john?

Fishin Magician
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Fished from 8 till 10 this morning after dropping off the kids for school. I figured I should fish before the storm they're predicting. I went to the North Fork Marina for a dozen fish. It was definitely a "pick" bite. One couple was on a spot that was producing well for them and they easily limited, fishing the jig and bobber. Most said the bite was off from the last few days.
I moved around quite a lot looking for my own batch of fish but never found any concentration with only a fish here and there. I believe the bite is just starting and should get better the next few weeks. The prediction is for good weather next weekend.

Mojave River Angler
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Ya, it's always good to see a report from Izzy. I'll be up that way several times this summer. I've got to get in some whitewater here real soon. I have not fished the river much in the past but I've decided I'm going to give it a go this year. I love the KRV.

Mojave River Angler

fishincrave
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Great news about lake Isabella , to be honest i didn't know about the crappie up there . After the storms pass through, Then should be great fishing for early summer for crappie , maybe i should make a trip up there .

Sean