PDA

View Full Version : Saved my life

Lowe Boat
04-15-2010, 09:06 PM
This is not a fish story but I feel since men mostly read this it could save your life.

In November of last year my doctor did a routine PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test on me.
The PSA was elevated. I had a prostate biopsy which showed I had prostate cancer.
I had the prostate surgicaly removed. The surgery was a easy with minimal pain.
The post surgical biopsy showed the cancer contained within the prostate.
My 6 week post operative PSA was 0.
Because my doctor did a routine test, I will probbly be around to KILL MORE MR. STRIPEY.
PLEASE GET A PSA TEST. IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!!! IT DID MINE.:LOL:

ART HILL
04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Very good post here. You may have just saved someone's life by them reading your post.

Frenchy
04-15-2010, 10:03 PM
grwat post man great to hear you beat it congrats hope to see you on the water someday

E man
04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Great post and even better to hear that you are better!

CRESTLINER16
04-16-2010, 12:04 AM
glad to hear all went well Dan!

lalo56
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Glad they caught it soon. I will get it when im older. No need for it at this time.

Nessie Hunter
04-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Lowe Boat, Kudos to you, for the testing/surgery and the Post!!!!

Start those tests before you reach 50....
I watched my Dad die of Prostate cancer,it was NOT a pretty sight, trust me.....
He refused to get regular tests, it was "to late" when they found it!!!!!

I Just did a PSA test, it was normal, Digital test revealed abnormally firm Prostate.. Dr said that is questionable, he recommended a biopsy, I have a Biopsy scheduled for 4-20.........

We are all big tough guys and never talk/think about this stuff (I also have Colon Cancer in my Family - Mom)..
Way to many of us tough guys are sorry when its "to late"...

Get those darn tests, and get them regularly.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every 5 yrs isnt bad at all.
With my Family history Dr is recommending every 2 to 3 yrs now that Im 65...

Do yourself and your family a big life saving favor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K.C.K.
04-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Guys not only get your PSA tested but check you nuts. I just finished Chemotherapy for Testicular cancer. you can catch it as young as 24. I am a active healthy 46 year old I was getting sore down there but I blew it off for 6 months because I mountain bike a lot and blamed it on being saddle sore. finally it started to feel like someone kicked me in the nuts. I finally went and got them checked and one of them felt like a walnut instead of a egg not good... luckily it had not spread So 4 months later 1 nut less and some serious feeling like Shet, its all over and I can go fishing again. Guys check yourself the life you save will be your own.

DEADROOTS
04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Dan! Ive been thinking about this since we spoke about it on Wednesday. Your a great guy and I'm glad you caught it on time!

Our society need a lot more anglers like you!

People dont know exactly where they stand in life unless they find out!

Tight lines!:Beer Toast:

Paul P.

CL SmooV
04-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info Guys! Lowe Boat, congrats on gettin' that clean bill of health again. And thanks for letting us all know about this.

Smoov

fishinone
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Dan,

Thank you for taking me fishing yesterday evening. What a great way to finish a work day. I'll post a report.

I'm taking your advice for the PSA test. My doctor already wrote the prescription. The plan is to have the blood drawn on Tuesday morning. I'm 50 I should have started these tests 10 years ago.

Eat Sleep Fish
04-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Good stuff Dan. Good to hear you're OK.

Lowe Boat
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Thank all for your kind responses.
When I had the digital prostate exam the doctors, including a urulogist, said my prostate was small. BUT the post surgical biopsy showed my prostate to be almost DOUBLE the normal siize. Moral of story: Do not rely on digital exam!!! Demand a PSA test.
I know in medicine the squeeky part, (you), gets the greese, (the PSA test.)