PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 4/14 - New Trolling Motor!

Fire Ball
04-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I went to the Goon today for an after school mission to use the new trolling motor. I would like to thank all the guys that gave me some good trolling motor and battery info! The main reason for this report is to thank you guys. It works well, but I still have to get used to the foot control thing. It was fairly windy too, which made it harder to use. Anyway, my dad and I quickly got to our first spot and it was pretty cool being out on the Goon with my boat instead of the tube, haha. I made my first cast or two and didn't get anything, but I wanted to try a new color Roboworm that I had, so I switched colors. On the first cast with the new color I got a little bite and set the hook and fought him in. I got him in the boat and weighed him in at a little over 2 lbs. I forgot my digital scale, which I left in my tube, so I had to use my old scale. This guy was a nice, fat pre-spawn bass. I made a couple more casts and then boom, another fish on! This guy wasn't as big, but still not bad at around 1.5 lbs. I got these first two fish within the first 20 minutes of being on the water. I worked the area some more but then had to go back to the dock to pick my brother up since he got dropped off at the lake after he got home from school. We worked the area some more and then worked some other spots for nothing. We moved to a different area and started to slowly work our way along the shore while drop shotting. I got yet another bite and brought the fish in, which weighted just over 1 lb. The water was very murky today and sight fishing wasn't even possible. It seems like the visibility was cut in half since I last fished the Lagoon. I would estimate about 3 ft of visibility only. That was pretty disappointed, but hopefully it will clear up soon. Even if I am not sight fishing, I still like fishing in clear water. All in all, it was a good day for me with 3 fish in about 3 hours and 30 minutes, but my dad and brother got skunked. My brother only fished for about 15 minutes though, lol.

Nice, fat pre-spawn fish weighing a little over 2 lbs
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5730/bass36.jpg

1.5 lbs
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3278/bass37.jpg

1 lb
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6589/bass38.jpg

Fishbones
04-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Great job fireball thats a lil piggie for sure.....yeah foot controls take a lil while to get use to...

you didnt happen to be throwing a bloody crawler robo were you?

Fire Ball
04-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Great job fireball thats a lil piggie for sure.....yeah foot controls take a lil while to get use to...

you didnt happen to be throwing a bloody crawler robo were you?

No, I wasn't throwing one of the red crawler Roboworms like the guy that won the tourney, lol. They don't have them at Sport Chalet and I have like 14 packs of unopened Roboworms, so I figured I should probably open a couple of those packs and then use those, lmao. I'm pretty good at picking the right color Roboworm for the conditions and one of the colors I had never used before, looked perfect for today.

Fishbones
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
No, I wasn't throwing one of the red crawler Roboworms like the guy that won the tourney, lol. They don't have them at Sport Chalet and I have like 14 packs of unopened Roboworms, so I figured I should probably open a couple of those packs and then use those, lmao. I'm pretty good at picking the right color Roboworm for the conditions and one of the colors I had never used before, looked perfect for today.

that what i ment....something told me that you would be throwing the red crawler...lol

Fire Ball
04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
that what i ment....something told me that you would be throwing the red crawler...lol

Lol, nope I wasn't throwing it, but I would like to try it some time. Conditions were completely different from tourney though, so I don't know how well it would work for today's conditions. I think Robo Bass might have a pack of red crawler Robos. I will have to ask him.

Fishbones
04-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Lol, nope I wasn't throwing it, but I would like to try it some time. Conditions were completely different from tourney though, so I don't know how well it would work for today's conditions. I think Robo Bass might have a pack of red crawler Robos. I will have to ask him.

gotcha...keep up the great bass action..

stphnman20
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Nice job dude.. What kind of boat are you using?

Fire Ball
04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Nice job dude.. What kind of boat are you using?

I have an old 1970 tri hull. It is old, but it works, lol. We have customized it to make it pretty good for bass fishing. We added a deck, trolling motor, fish finder, and maybe a couple other things.

Robo Bass
04-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Glad to see the trolling motor works, and I'm glad to see you are owning fish on robos I just got :D

Newfishsmell
04-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Good job out there Fire Ball , when you mounting the camera on the back of the boat ...???
Just messing with you lol

Ray Lopez
04-14-2010, 10:23 PM

that color has been working great for a while. It incorperates the red of the crawdads walkin around and has that oxblood bottom and the oxblood has been killer. I noticed i caught a good number of bigger fish with that color also. Went through at least 3 bags so far lol

Fire Ball
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Good job out there Fire Ball , when you mounting the camera on the back of the boat ...???
Just messing with you lol

Thanks. I really need a mount on my tube and not my boat, haha. What if I am tubing alone and I catch a monster?? Then how am I going to take the picture? Lol.

that color has been working great for a while. It incorperates the red of the crawdads walkin around and has that oxblood bottom and the oxblood has been killer. I noticed i caught a good number of bigger fish with that color also. Went through at least 3 bags so far lol

Nice. I've been fishing different colors every time I go out, lol. I have been trying out new colors that not many people have, recently. So far it has been working out well and the conditions really dictate which color I use. Did you take your tube out today?

Ray Lopez
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks. I really need a mount on my tube and not my boat, haha. What if I am tubing alone and I catch a monster?? Then how am I going to take the picture? Lol.

Nice. I've been fishing different colors every time I go out, lol. I have been trying out new colors that not many people have, recently. So far it has been working out well and the conditions really dictate which color I use. Did you take your tube out today?

no i went to the upper wth a friend of mine and picked off a couple of lmb. Mr. Stripy didn't want to play. We tried the b&w also tossing hudds and ac's and live magic shad. should've went to the left side of the buoy line. But i can't keep mysself away from the bass. Plkus my freezer is already full of fish lol

Newfishsmell
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Oops my mistake , ment to say video recorder, so when you catch that DD bass .
Come on if Ray can catch one ... ha ha

oscarbassman
04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
nice fish man, you always killing them out in the lagoon.

Ray Lopez
04-15-2010, 11:05 AM

oh man ouch!!!! lol

McFingers
04-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice work. Damn man, so you ever get skunked?

You should get your pops to let you borrow the boat and give me a call!! :D

Anybody got the downlow on a cheap kayak? looking for like 10' cause I have no roofrack on my car and don't really want to get one...

Newfishsmell
04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
oh man ouch!!!! lol

Just messing with you dude , my best bass was about 8lbs.
So I'm still in quest of that DD bass ...

TUJUNGAICEBOXX
04-15-2010, 12:51 PM
whats up fire your always killin it out there man well hey i was writing because im about to get a float tube complet noob to this thing was hopein maby one day we can hit the goon up man shoot me some pointers none of my boys are able to get a tube rite now so it would be cool to find a guy to tube with and i always see you out there well pm me man thanks

Bassnman Mike
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Nice. You said that you guys built a deck, did you happen to install a recessed trolling motor tray, like a Troll-Eze? The trays are not that expensive and trust me, the recessed tray makes it easier on your knees and back.

http://www.troll-eze.com/

Fire Ball
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
no i went to the upper wth a friend of mine and picked off a couple of lmb. Mr. Stripy didn't want to play. We tried the b&w also tossing hudds and ac's and live magic shad. should've went to the left side of the buoy line. But i can't keep mysself away from the bass. Plkus my freezer is already full of fish lol

Oh. Well I saw 3 tubers together and I thought one of them might have been you and maybe some other guys from FNN or ZLF.

Ya, I might get a video camera and film stuff with a hatcam. I think it would be really cool to do. I will get a DD bass eventually!

nice fish man, you always killing them out in the lagoon.

Yep, I need to hit some other lakes too and slay.

Nice work. Damn man, so you ever get skunked?

You should get your pops to let you borrow the boat and give me a call!! :D

Anybody got the downlow on a cheap kayak? looking for like 10' cause I have no roofrack on my car and don't really want to get one...

Haha, I hardly ever get skunked. I know a lot about the Lagoon and pick the right things to use, so I can consistently catch fish. I could probably do alright at lakes I have never fished too. I will probably eventually start taking the boat out alone or with a friend, but not soon.

whats up fire your always killin it out there man well hey i was writing because im about to get a float tube complet noob to this thing was hopein maby one day we can hit the goon up man shoot me some pointers none of my boys are able to get a tube rite now so it would be cool to find a guy to tube with and i always see you out there well pm me man thanks

I'm always up for tubing. I go on weekends often.

Nice. You said that you guys built a deck, did you happen to install a recessed trolling motor tray, like a Troll-Eze? The trays are not that expensive and trust me, the recessed tray makes it easier on your knees and back.

http://www.troll-eze.com/

No, we didn't put one in. Is it really that much of a difference? I like being able to move it around.

Bassnman Mike
04-15-2010, 07:34 PM
No, we didn't put one in. Is it really that much of a difference? I like being able to move it around.

Yes, the trays make a huge difference in the way your knee and back feels after a full day of operating the trolling motor. From what you said it sounds like you dont even have your pedal secured down. Chances are very, very slim that you'll actually loose it but if your out in rough water on the upper lake it can bounce over board. Trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience, I had it happen on my old boat while on Lake Isabella

Fire Ball
04-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes, the trays make a huge difference in the way your knee and back feels after a full day of operating the trolling motor. From what you said it sounds like you dont even have your pedal secured down. Chances are very, very slim that you'll actually loose it but if your out in rough water on the upper lake it can bounce over board. Trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience, I had it happen on my old boat while on Lake Isabella

Well, my deck is not level with the sides of the boat so I don't think it is going to fall out. It would have to hop out pretty high. It is nice being able to have it in the front when fishing and then move it back to where the seats are and control it when I am sitting in a seat from going spot to spot. I don't think I am going to be able to get one of those because they are $80! What a rip off!

Bassnman Mike
04-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Well, my deck is not level with the sides of the boat so I don't think it is going to fall out. It would have to hop out pretty high. It is nice being able to have it in the front when fishing and then move it back to where the seats are and control it when I am sitting in a seat from going spot to spot. I don't think I am going to be able to get one of those because they are $80! What a rip off!

Obviously you have yet to experience being on the water in rough conditions.

BTW, you really are a cheap little turd aren't you. $80.00 is NOT a "rip off", as you put it, for a rescessed trolling motor tray. Do some research and you will find that the Troll Eze is one of the lower priced trays on the market. While I agree that maybe its more than your willing to spend or more than you can afford, but in my opinion its NOT a rip off.

No, I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, shape or form. I just remember when I installed one on my old Champion it made a huge difference in the way my knee's and back felt at the end of the day and I was just trying to help you out. The only reason I didnt put one on my new Champion is because it came with a recessed tray from the factory.

Fire Ball
04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Obviously you have yet to experience being on the water in rough conditions.

BTW, you really are a cheap little turd aren't you. $80.00 is NOT a "rip off", as you put it, for a rescessed trolling motor tray. Do some research and you will find that the Troll Eze is one of the lower priced trays on the market. While I agree that maybe its more than your willing to spend or more than you can afford, but in my opinion its NOT a rip off.

No, I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, shape or form. I just remember when I installed one on my old Champion it made a huge difference in the way my knee's and back felt at the end of the day and I was just trying to help you out. The only reason I didnt put one on my new Champion is because it came with a recessed tray from the factory.

I have been out in rough water plenty of times. If you saw what my deck looks like, you will see that it would be extremely hard for the foot pedal to fall out. I personally think it is a rip off at $80. I saw other ones that were more expensive and I think those are even more of a rip off. I don't see anything special about these trays. It probably costs them $10 to make. Thanks for trying to help though. In no way am I trying to spite you, so don't take it that way.

Marine_Michael
04-16-2010, 10:05 AM
It's funny you mention the cost to make the item into the equation. You think the recessed tray is a ripoff because it doesn't cost them that much to make it. What about research and development, shipping costs, employee labor, etc. ? If you follow that guideline I bet you never buy soft drinks at any fast food place because it costs them about $.07 or less for the cup and about the same if not less for the soda to fill it. Paying over $2 for a large drink is in my opinion a rip off, but we all pay it.

Using your judgement of value isn't the Hudleston lure a ripoff. I mean it's just a bit of soft plastic with a hook in it, right? How much can it really cost them to make it? The same thing applies to all those bags of Roboworms you've collected. $3-5 for a bag with a few bits of soft plastic? It doesn't even come with a hook. What a ripoff, right?

You've already shown in other threads you are very tight with your money. (Castaic parking pass ring a bell) There is nothing wrong with being careful with what you spend your money on. But just because something costs more than what you are willing to spend doesn't make it a ripoff.

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-16-2010, 10:15 AM
STAY ON EM, YOUR PUTTING THE TIME IN, YOU'RE GONNA BE DUE FOR A REAL hawg..

nice work..
congrats,
Gary

Fire Ball
04-16-2010, 10:15 AM
It's funny you mention the cost to make the item into the equation. You think the recessed tray is a ripoff because it doesn't cost them that much to make it. What about research and development, shipping costs, employee labor, etc. ? If you follow that guideline I bet you never buy soft drinks at any fast food place because it costs them about $.07 or less for the cup and about the same if not less for the soda to fill it. Paying over $2 for a large drink is in my opinion a rip off, but we all pay it.

Using your judgement of value isn't the Hudleston lure a ripoff. I mean it's just a bit of soft plastic with a hook in it, right? How much can it really cost them to make it? The same thing applies to all those bags of Roboworms you've collected. $3-5 for a bag with a few bits of soft plastic? It doesn't even come with a hook. What a ripoff, right?

You've already shown in other threads you are very tight with your money. (Castaic parking pass ring a bell) There is nothing wrong with being careful with what you spend your money on. But just because something costs more than what you are willing to spend doesn't make it a ripoff.

I figured everything of what you said into that $10, except shipping because you have to pay for that separately. It probably costs them only a few dollars in parts. As you said if it is more than I want to spend then it doesn't make it a rip off, but really since you say everything is a rip off, then this has to be a rip off too.

STAY ON EM, YOUR PUTTING THE TIME IN, YOU'RE GONNA BE DUE FOR A REAL hawg..

nice work..
congrats,
Gary

Thanks Gary!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I figured everything of what you said into that $10, except shipping because you have to pay for that separately. It probably costs them only a few dollars in parts. As you said if it is more than I want to spend then it doesn't make it a rip off, but really since you say everything is a rip off, then this has to be a rip off too.

Thanks Gary!!
P.S.
forget about a 12 page debate, use what you have and make it work...the way your comforatable using it....for now...

I'd suggest shooting for a remote motor in the longrun, I don't even have one myself on my boat yet but I use it quite Frequently on my buddy Hiro's boat, the remote ROCKS, it can spoil you though.....with the remote on the wrist it allows total freedom.

Either way...now it's been too much time spent talking instead of fishing....ha ha ha

I gotta get back to hooking up..

Good luck : )

Marine_Michael
04-16-2010, 11:27 AM

It figures you'd miss the sarcasm in that post. About the only thing I mentioned in that post that I truly consider a ripoff is the $2+ large coke from a fast food place.

I included shipping in that because the manufacturer had pay to have the individual parts, wire, etc. shipped to the manufacturing plant. Then once it has been assembled and packaged it has to be shipped to the stores. Sometimes the store pays for this and sometime the manufacturer pays it. I forgot to mention the rent/mortgage payments for the manufacturing plant, the cost of the packaging the product comes in, bubble wrap, styrofoam, the cardboard box ... the instruction manual. Those all cost money too.

It doesn't matter think what you want.

You remind me of a sign hanging on the wall of the barber shop I go to.

It reads:

Attention teenagers:

Tired of all the rules and curfew your parents put you through.
Move out,
get a job,
pay your own bills,
While you still know Everything!

If it's so easy to make and inexpensive try making your own and see if it's not worth the cost.

Robo Bass
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
It figures you'd miss the sarcasm in that post. About the only thing I mentioned in that post that I truly consider a ripoff is the $2+ large coke from a fast food place.

I included shipping in that because the manufacturer had pay to have the individual parts, wire, etc. shipped to the manufacturing plant. Then once it has been assembled and packaged it has to be shipped to the stores. Sometimes the store pays for this and sometime the manufacturer pays it. I forgot to mention the rent/mortgage payments for the manufacturing plant, the cost of the packaging the product comes in, bubble wrap, styrofoam, the cardboard box ... the instruction manual. Those all cost money too.

It reads:

Attention teenagers:

Move out,
get a job,
pay your own bills,

If it's so easy to make and inexpensive try making your own and see if it's not worth the cost.

Calm down... and good job fireball once again. Just ignore the dumb arguing lol

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I caught a fishie once in the lagoon.....it was Very NICE.....

Come on people of FNN, let's get this whole website back on track..

Seems like nothing but rants going on.

LETS FISH

Nothing wrong with opinions but let the funk roll somewhere else..

Let's have fun and fish, let's not lose track of why we fish....

IT"S FUN

This website should be the same..

My 2 cents

Fire Ball
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
P.S.
forget about a 12 page debate, use what you have and make it work...the way your comforatable using it....for now...

I'd suggest shooting for a remote motor in the longrun, I don't even have one myself on my boat yet but I use it quite Frequently on my buddy Hiro's boat, the remote ROCKS, it can spoil you though.....with the remote on the wrist it allows total freedom.

Either way...now it's been too much time spent talking instead of fishing....ha ha ha

I gotta get back to hooking up..

Good luck : )

Minn Kota is offering a free remote right now! I saw the promotion on there website a few days after we bought the trolling motor. We sent in the form and just had to pay $10 for shipping and you just reminded me that we are going to get it. I'm glad to hear that it good.

It reads:

Attention teenagers:

Move out,
get a job,
pay your own bills,

Sarcasm in your post? Are you kidding?? :ROFL: Anyways, the $10 has everything figured in there. I don't know what you are thinking, but those things don't cost much, especially when they buy in bulk.

I caught a fishie once in the lagoon.....it was Very NICE.....

Come on people of FNN, let's get this whole website back on track..

Seems like nothing but rants going on.

LETS FISH

Nothing wrong with opinions but let the funk roll somewhere else..

Let's have fun and fish, let's not lose track of why we fish....

IT"S FUN

This website should be the same..

My 2 cents

AGREED

LuvThymetal
04-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Good ***** out there fireballz !!!

Bassnman Mike
04-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Fire Ball, you asked me a question,

No, we didn't put one in. Is it really that much of a difference?

I then gave you my honest opinion on the recessed trays and in my opinion, you come accross sounding like a little smart mouth punk, Then again, maybe I'm just reading you wrong. As to the trays, think about it for a second, there must be something pretty good about the recessed trolling motor trays seeing how all the bass boat manufactures have been installing them in their boats.

Bottom line, if your happy with your current setup, more power to ya, but in my opinion just because something cost more than your willing or capable of spending does not make it a rip-off.