PDA

View Full Version : 2007SandCrab PICS need your eyes.

City Dad
07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
So, I've narrowed it down to two patterns this year. On one of these, I clipped the hackle on the side which rides up and applied soft silicone gel as a shell. The other is just a plain ol'wooly bugger in sandcrab-ish colors with brass eyes.

Which of these would you fish? The fly with the shell is time-consuming and a kind of a pain in the neck to make. The wooly bugger is simple, I can crank 'em out en mass and therefore loosing a few of them each trip won't matter as much.

I've caught just about every freshwater species on various wooly buggers and so believe it's a pattern that looks simmilar to a variety of things which fish eat instead of a pattern wich immitates a specific prey.

If you'd be interested in helping me test out these patterns PM me! They could probably both be fished Carolina style or as the lead hook in a dropper sort of set-up.

And, oh yeah, you can use 'em with a fly rod too.

halijedi
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
SUPER IMPRESSIVE!

Santa Fe Eric
07-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Absolutely Fabulous!

bsp
07-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Very realistic. I would throw the silicone one in very light surf when sight fishing for corbina. The other pattern would work anytime.

City Dad
07-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the input, guys.

One thing: This is not spam - I'm not interested in selling these. I like to give 'em away so that I can fish vicariously until I'm able to get out there myself! :lol:

SanDimasLMB
07-18-2007, 01:48 PM

One thing: This is not spam - I'm not interested in selling these. I like to give 'em away so that I can fish vicariously until I'm able to get out there myself! :lol:

count me in for one! I live in Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica is only 5mins away from my house

City Dad
07-18-2007, 02:26 PM

count me in for one! I live in Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica is only 5mins away from my house

SanDimas, PM sent

LBSea
07-18-2007, 05:29 PM
City Dad,
A friend of mine use to tie sand crabs and would use TAN plastic shopping bags for the body. It was similar to your Wooly Bugger but he would finish in with an outer sheeth or skin on tan plastic tied at the front and back with a few wraps of thread. I will post a picture when I get home if I still have one. Great Job!

PS. You can send me a few, I am mintues away from the beach and just happened to have purchased a new fly rod & reel for the surf.

Doug

MikeAce00
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey City Dad,

I'd love to try a couple of those flies if you still have some. I'd really like to catch a bean and doing so on an artificial would be awesome! I've fished before with another guy from the board a couple years back and he used flies similar to yours that he called mole crabs... He seemed to be very successful with them.

Mike

hbstriker
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
YOur last batch worked pretty well. Caught nothing but croakers. Not skilled enough to cast to beans yet. These look even better!

City Dad
07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
YOur last batch worked pretty well. Caught nothing but croakers. Not skilled enough to cast to beans yet. These look even better!

Cool HB!

hbstriker
07-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Yah man, sent you a PM, but these things worked. Casted well too, but had a harder time getting them to the bottom, well, when compared to clousers. I actually haven't even tried the shrimp in the salt. It slipped my mind, but i did managae a few LMB up in stockton on the shrimp, but they go for almost anything. Would love to get some of the new batch.

Bucket bay
07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
sweet

smokehound
07-21-2007, 07:29 PM
You know what? after googling sand crab flies, yours are the only ones that actually look like a sandcrab.