PDA

View Full Version : Lake Crowley almost ice free?

fishfinder
04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
It looks like the ice is melting fast now

seal
04-12-2010, 08:25 PM
The wind will do it everytime! This last storm must have been just above there for snow elevation, Mammoth got a good 20 inches or so.

stphnman20
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Good stuff.. Was worried a bit but we should be good..

dockboy
04-13-2010, 03:23 AM
Every time a storm arrives, your remaining ice will thicken a bit. But the key is when the system blows through, the wind gets rid of the ice. Should be ready to rock by the opener no problem. The real problem will be good weather on the opener, IMO. The systems seem to move through about every two weeks this year on average, if it clears up by Saturday then there is the potential for a storm during opening weekend. Hopefully not, but thats the Sierras, you can never predict anything with certainty

sierraslam
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I here that Convict thawed already. They were putting boats in the water yesterday. Seems strange Convict would thaw before Crowley, but that's what a family member who was skiing this past weekend told me. I think both lakes will be ready for the opener.

mammoth xfactor
04-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I'll drive over to Convict to see about the ice thaw.
I can see Crowley from my house and the ice is going bye bye fast.

Joshua
04-14-2010, 07:34 AM
I am not an old timer that has been hitting the openers for 50 years. But from my 10+ years of openers, Crowley is always thawed. I know there have been panic years where they run the motor on the rental boats to create chop in the water.
As already mentioned, it is the wind that does the majority of the work. And we all know the wind can howl across Crowley. If you plan to fish Crowley, I wouldnt worry about fishing on a forzen lake. Worry about removing the ice that forms on the eyelets/guides on your rod.

It is the June Loop that always seems to cut it close

retired96
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Joshua, I'm the oldtimer that has fished the opener for 40 years, not 50, but I have fished the area for 52 years..Lets pray this year is not like last year when it was colder than heck with howling winds. When I drove by Crowley at 1300 on Saturday opening day, I never saw one boat on the lake. I recall driving by the Upper Owens north of Benton Crossing and there was no one on the river...

I sure hope this opener is better than last year, as last year was horrible for me....I caught 4 fish in 8 hours on the Owens with miserable weather, and on Sunday, fished 9 hours and never had a single bite....

Bassnman Mike
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Here's a link to the live Lake Crowley Web Cam

http://www.thetroutfly.com/crowleycam.html

mammoth xfactor
04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Just took a drive to check on the ice conditions.
Crowley will be ice free in a couple of days.
Convict is 100% ice free.
June has a small patch of open water, but remains 99% frozen.
Gull and Silver are still frozen.

Rob
www.mammothkayaks.com

IncredibleHuck
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Just took a drive to check on the ice conditions.
Crowley will be ice free in a couple of days.
Convict is 100% ice free.
June has a small patch of open water, but remains 99% frozen.
Gull and Silver are still frozen.

Rob
www.mammothkayaks.com

Rob,

When I go to the Gull Lake Marina, it shows a lot of open water! When did you drive by there?

http://www.gulllakemarina.com/webcam.html

STEVE IN SOCAL
04-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Still early, but possibility of a major storm hitting the eastern Sierra the middle of next week. If it slows or stalls, could put a damper on the opener. I'm not going up til the 28th...hope you guys don't get weathered out like last year.

fishfinder
04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Looks ice free today

retired96
04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Still early, but possibility of a major storm hitting the eastern Sierra the middle of next week. If it slows or stalls, could put a damper on the opener. I'm not going up til the 28th...hope you guys don't get weathered out like last year.

Weather forcast mammoth could have some very cold temps for a few days, lows in the double digits. I'm leaving next Wed. 4/21 as I always go up 3-4 days before opener....

Joshua
04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Joshua, I'm the oldtimer that has fished the opener for 40 years, not 50, but I have fished the area for 52 years..Lets pray this year is not like last year when it was colder than heck with howling winds. When I drove by Crowley at 1300 on Saturday opening day, I never saw one boat on the lake. I recall driving by the Upper Owens north of Benton Crossing and there was no one on the river...

I sure hope this opener is better than last year, as last year was horrible for me....I caught 4 fish in 8 hours on the Owens with miserable weather, and on Sunday, fished 9 hours and never had a single bite....

Last year I started at Intake II. THen hit Bishop South Fork. I felt guilty that I was missing my daughter's softball game so I took off before 7am to make her 1 PM game. Thank God for Red Bull and no CHP on 395/14.
I dont remember last year being much colder than years past. once you are frozen, you are frozen.

my snuggles
04-15-2010, 05:52 AM
For my friend Cris and I it was great fishing, very cold, but fish were a lot bigger than previous years, try 1/2 a crawler and blow him up with long leader. yes it was a lot colder and windier than previous openings.

mammoth xfactor
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
IncredibleHuck,
I drove by yesterday 4/14 around 12ish and it was prettty frozen. Just a small, real small patch of water. I couldn't pull up the web cam so i drve by again today. They have motorboats out ramming the ice to break it up. Open water is about 200 yards from the marina out and about 50 yards wide. Maybe a little more. Not even close to 1/8 of the lake open water yet. It'll happen though. Warm temps and some wind is all it takes. it should be pretty close for next weekend. I'll keep you posted. I'd say 1 more day and Crowley should be completely free.

Bassnman Mike
04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I can hardly wait to get up to Crowley and get into some Sacramento Perch

bowler
04-16-2010, 04:34 PM
here is the link to look at the webcam when ever you want to. And here is lake crowley website too.

http://www.crowleylakefishcamp.com/

http://thetroutfly.com/crowleycam.html

fishfinder
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
I can hardly wait to get up to Crowley and get into some Sacramento Perch

me too, 48 more days