PDA

View Full Version : Piru is HOT

bassmaster5529
04-12-2010, 05:53 PM
my dad and i decided to to hit up lake piru for the second weekend in a row. yesterday was a fun day for dad, but not so much for me. the day started off with the usual starbucks coffee run and then it was off to the lake. got on the water by 8 or so and headed off to my favorite fishing spot at piru. got to the spot and started casting right away. the morning bite was good, except for the fact we missed a couple of 2 lbs bass when they broke the surface and spit the hook. urggggggggg. at around 9:45, dad got his first fish of the day, and he wasnt done. about 10 minutes later he brings one into the boat so now im in trouble. he went up 2 fish to 0 on me and then my chance came. at around 10:15, i got my first bite and set the hook.................im fighting the fish, he breaks the surface and spits the hook. so i still cast in that same spot for about 15 more minutes. then i got another chance and this time i succeeded. this fish was the biggest fish of the day, weighing in at 4 oz. jk :LOL: the action shut off at about noon. we move to another spot and dad gets a little dinker. SCORE: dad3 - me1. all in all a fun day, we lost a bunch of fish today but still we are happy with what we got.:Smile:

BIGBASS MB
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the report, glad to see father and son fishing team... looks like you guys had a fun day...
MB

Fire Ball
04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Keep your rod tip down and a tight line to prevent them from throwing the hook. I haven't had any fish throw the hook on me when they jumped in a long time. Don't slow down or stop reeling when they jump or you will let them have slack and you will lose them. Keeping the rod tip down prevents them from jumping too high or too much. I usually stick it down in the water. It definitely works.

bassmaster5529
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
but what ive heard is always keep the rod tip up

Fire Ball
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
but what ive heard is always keep the rod tip up

No, you definitely want to put that tip down to keep them from jumping. Tip up is fine any other time basically though.

fishsniffin
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah, when you've hookup and you see your line go up towards the surface you immedeatly would want to dip your rod in the water as much as you can to prevent them from jumping and shaking you off. They will usually shake pretty hard the 1st thru the 3rd jumps. When you have fished black bass long enough, you will know when they are going to jump, if your on a boat get down on your knees and dip that rod as far in the water as you can.

No, you definitely want to put that tip down to keep them from jumping. Tip up is fine any other time basically though.

MIKE Q
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Great job out there and nice post. Good luck and continued success to you both.

chuxder
04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, when you've hookup and you see your line go up towards the surface you immedeatly would want to dip your rod in the water as much as you can to prevent them from jumping and shaking you off. They will usually shake pretty hard the 1st thru the 3rd jumps. When you have fished black bass long enough, you will know when they are going to jump, if your on a boat get down on your knees and dip that rod as far in the water as you can.

That's the right advice. It's always better to not let the fish jump. If you use this advice, your losing ratio will go down dramatically.

Good Luck

E man
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
you keep the rod tip up when the fish is making a run. when you see the line starting to come up you know the fish is gonna try to breach the surface, you quickly put the rod tip down. piru's northern strain's are more acrobatic than the florida strain in castaic. i've lost a lot of fish at piru in the beginning until i figured it out.

City Dad
04-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Very good report and pics. You caught 100% more fish than the guys who stayed home on a cold day!
Looking forward to more quality reports.

silkgato
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
You guys are all great with the advice you give. Nice job getting in some fishing with your dad, those are memories you will always have.

bassmaster5529
04-13-2010, 04:35 PM
thanks for all of the tips. im so tired of losing quality size fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bassmaster5529
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
you keep the rod tip up when the fish is making a run. when you see the line starting to come up you know the fish is gonna try to breach the surface, you quickly put the rod tip down. piru's northern strain's are more acrobatic than the florida strain in castaic. i've lost a lot of fish at piru in the beginning until i figured it out.

i never have any luck at castaic though

E man
04-13-2010, 08:37 PM
i never have any luck at castaic though

I think Castaic is a tougher lake than Piru with all the pressure it gets. The northern's are more aggressive than the florida strain bass at Castaic. Anyway, it all boils down to time on the water.

TopwaterTony
04-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Almost every time I get spit I envision it like this (from the fishes perspective) ... hook, breach, spit hook, wink @ angler, splash ... as long as it wasn't the fish of my life I am never really upset. Most of my love for fishing is the bite anyhow ... now if it was a DD bass, then possibly some curse words will fly, otherwise by the next catch I am already over it ... nice report !!!

Fire Ball
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
I think Castaic is a tougher lake than Piru with all the pressure it gets. The northern's are more aggressive than the florida strain bass at Castaic. Anyway, it all boils down to time on the water.

Yes, the bass at Castaic are definitely harder to catch with all the pressure and the fact that they are Florida strain. I like the fact that the Castaic bass are bigger, lol. :Envious: Time on the water definitely helps A LOT.