PDA

View Full Version : How's the fishing at Alondra Park?

Surfer
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Thinking of hitting it up sometime this week when the weather improves. Hoping for some bass or bluegill.

Surfer
04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Stopped by the lake today around noon to check out the action and found out that the lake had just been stocked with rainbows. Fish were jumping everywhere. I only saw a few caught however from the dozen or so fishermen there. The trout seems to be adjusting to their new home so I'm guessing maybe tomorrow may be a good day for the stockers.

I did have a question about bass at the lake. The lake pretty much looks like a huge swimming pool--no tree stumps, docks, structure, shrubs, plants, overhanging trees, etc--places that bass like to hang out near. So where do you cast? Is there some underwater reef that the bass like to chill near. It seems like a place where you simply cast and hope for the best.

MeYouSick
04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
yo whats up fellow fisherman i live near Alondra park but never been there i plan to go fish there sometime this week i hear mix reviews but ive decided to check it out for my self . ll let you know what the deal is.i noticed you wanted to fish for bass check out kenneth hahn lake there are some big ones in there ive seen some there that were at least 8lbs

Tora
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Anyone catchin any cats at Alondra? I caught some a few months back but haven't been there since.

DockRat
04-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Any sightings of the Gar in there.
Real or Urban Legend ?
DR

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-17-2010, 09:28 PM
the gar is real .. i saw it with my own eyes :P

bman90278
04-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Any sightings of the Gar in there.
Real or Urban Legend ?
DR

Yes it is real. I saw 2 different gars..one was close to 4 ft long and the other 2ft long. Last year tge DFG Warden told me on 2 separate occasions not release any gars if I ever caught any. A few of the local fisherman believe the last gar was caught recently...From what I understand there were 3 to 5 gars.

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I havent fished alondra yet this year since i recently moved about 1/2 a mile from el dorado park.. but caught some really nice bass at alondra the past couple years. Heres just a couple of the many hawgz me and a friend have pulled out on both plastics and top water.
http://i41.tinypic.com/1y0p75.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/29v091.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/hx3sdc.jpg

Surfer
04-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I havent fished alondra yet this year since i recently moved about 1/2 a mile from el dorado park.. but caught some really nice bass at alondra the past couple years. Heres just a couple of the many hawgz me and a friend have pulled out on both plastics and top water.
http://i41.tinypic.com/1y0p75.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/29v091.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/hx3sdc.jpg

OMG! Those hogs were caught in that oversized swimming pool!

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-20-2010, 12:55 AM
biggest ive landed out of the oversized swimming pool/alondra was probably somewhere close to 11 lbs (the hawg maxed my scale out at 10 lbs :P) Best part was that i caught it topwater using a zara spook =]

bman90278
04-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Welcome to the forums OnlyHappyHooknHawgz and thanks for posting those great pics....Now there will be more bass fisherman at my local lake. :)
Have you been catching anything at Dorado?

brian

LuvThymetal
04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Nice bass in the pics, what's up with the quality tho?

DockRat
04-23-2010, 07:24 AM
OMG! Those hogs were caught in that oversized swimming pool!

Alondra Park is fed by Dominguez Creek. :Secret:
LA runoff water from S Cental LA.
MMMNN GOOD. Heavy metals, exhaust dust, brake dust, golf course fertilizers and pesticides too..

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/FaSHOGEE/Daily%20Alondra%20Park/CIMG3363.jpg
DR

Surfer
04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Howdy. I found out there was a fishing derby for kids tomorrow at Alondra and I plan on taking my kids. What's the best setup--bait, tackle, etc.--that will give them the best chance of catching something? It doesn't matter what they catch I just want them to have a decent chance of catching something. I just want to see a smile on their faces that evey child gets when they catch their first fish. Thanks for your help =]

bman90278
04-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Howdy. I found out there was a fishing derby for kids tomorrow at Alondra and I plan on taking my kids. What's the best setup--bait, tackle, etc.--that will give them the best chance of catching something? It doesn't matter what they catch I just want them to have a decent chance of catching something. I just want to see a smile on their faces that evey child gets when they catch their first fish. Thanks for your help =]

Hard to say how the fishing will be today as they didn't stock this week that I know of...Probably isn't too many trouts left and I haven't heard of catfish bite yet. Generally the trouts were scattering after stocking last week because of the birds. Then they were schooling up in certain areas, but they were being fished out by a group of guys who were chumming and catching trout all day long for several days. (They were catching 100+ a day) Hopefully there might be a few of the regulars that might be helping the young ones find a good spot.

The best advice I could say is go with very light tackle (2lb test) and really look along the shore for fish. The trout have been really pushed up against the shore.

Also, I've noticed some big bass swimmin up against the shore and they are probably spawning. Might a great chance to throw out some crankbaits or some topwater worms....I'd go for some slow retreive as the bass are still slow right now. Believe it or not, I've been seeing some smaller bass being caught on light tackle, but it's tough. The bass are hungry...I've even seen some hit some bread dough and mini jigs for trout.

Good luck and let us know how today went.

brian

Surfer
04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I showed up at the lake around 10am. And was shocked by the sheer number of anglers. I know it was a fishing derby for kids but most of the people fishing were adults! It was pretty much shoulder to shoulder along the entire lake so I didn't even bother. It looked worse than Redondo Pier on a summer day when the bonito and mackerel are running. I saw a few catfish caught and a couple very small trout on stringers. It looked like the event organizers were providing bait which consisted of marshmallows and mealworms. I'll come back another day when its not such a crazy jungle out there.

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Depending on whether alondra was stocked with either catfish or trout: for catfish, id use either chicken liver, anchovi or mealworm/marshmallow combo... and if its trout, id use chartruse power bait or any gold blade spinner.

Have you been catching anything at Dorado?

yea... last week the fishing at dorado was pretty good. only went out twice but caught a couple bass each both times, all in the 2 1/2 -2 3/4 lb range

FishinElectrician
04-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Hit Alondra up today for the first time in a couple years. It was crowded as heck today, due to a youth fishing derby being held there. It seemed to me there were more adults fishing than youth, but oh well.

The water looked real clean, and I saw a couple of nice fish on their beds and some just cruising the shallows. Theres some nice submerged weed growth on the north part of the lake, too. I ended up only catchin a dink at about 10 inches on a Cultiva crankbait.

IN2DEEP
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I walked through the park around noon time on derby day and saw a guy leaving with his kids. He had a bunch of trout on his stringer. They must have stocked for this event.
Also saw a small kitty being caught on my way back out.
Oh yea, tons of people

TroutOnly
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM
MAN THE PIC OF THE BRIDGE AND AROUND THE LAKE BRINGS BACK MEMORIES,ITS WHERE I LEARNED HOW TO CATCH BASS WITH LURES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

bman90278
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I walked through the park around noon time on derby day and saw a guy leaving with his kids. He had a bunch of trout on his stringer. They must have stocked for this event.
Also saw a small kitty being caught on my way back out.
Oh yea, tons of people

That's great! Hopefully lots of the kids had some catches. Thanks for the report.

Surfer
04-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey what technique do you guys use to catch spawning bass here?

bsp
04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Seriously man, don't do it if you care at all about the lake/bass. Those fish get hammered and taken home by the bucket brigade, live trout, and snagger crowd. Leave them alone to spawn so the lake can continue to hold fish. As soon as you catch one bed fish, you'll get swarmed by guys trying to get the same one, and that fish is basically done for.

I'm not against bed fishing or dislike people that do it, it's just that in some city park lakes the bass don't need the extra pressure.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Seriously man, don't do it if you care at all about the lake/bass. Those fish get hammered and taken home by the bucket brigade, live trout, and snagger crowd. Leave them alone to spawn so the lake can continue to hold fish. As soon as you catch one bed fish, you'll get swarmed by guys trying to get the same one, and that fish is basically done for.

I'm not against bed fishing or dislike people that do it, it's just that in some city park lakes the bass don't need the extra pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-xVb1qsPCw

Surfer
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Checked out the lake this morning and noticed some bass holding next to the bridge. Threw a crankbait and Texas-rigged worm at it with no success. Still some trout in there swimming around in schools. I saw a few caught by anglers fishing in the "no fishing" zone.

bman90278
04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Checked out the lake this morning and noticed some bass holding next to the bridge. Threw a crankbait and Texas-rigged worm at it with no success. Still some trout in there swimming around in schools. I saw a few caught by anglers fishing in the "no fishing" zone.

Interesting....Was it a group of fisherman chumming the water and using bread/dough? I'm getting kinda tired of seeing the same fisherman I see fishing in the no fish areas and breaking other rules. :( Hopefully I'm not alone on that.

As far as bass...They are out there, but they are moving real slow right now. Good luck. I gotta get over there and break in my new baitcaster.

brian

Surfer
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't know if they were chumming but they were a group of about 4 white middle-aged gentlemen with bicycles as their means of transportation.

Rod Wynn
04-27-2010, 08:06 PM
MAN THE PIC OF THE BRIDGE AND AROUND THE LAKE BRINGS BACK MEMORIES,ITS WHERE I LEARNED HOW TO CATCH BASS WITH LURES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Same here..
I spent many of days during all of my child hood on the shores of Alondra Park..
I credit alot of my fishing know how and such to that lake and ease of access to it for a kid from Inglewood..
Here is a pic of me in 1991..
Caught this fish on a Split Shot Anglers Choice "Blue Ice" worm..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/RealityWynn/AlondraPark1991.jpg

AmBASSador
04-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Same here..
I spent many of days during all of my child hood on the shores of Alondra Park..
I credit alot of my fishing know how and such to that lake and ease of access to it for a kid from Inglewood..
Here is a pic of me in 1991..
Caught this fish on a Split Shot Anglers Choice "Blue Ice" worm..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/RealityWynn/AlondraPark1991.jpg

That's awesome! I dig that thugged out look on your face with the NO FISHING sign in the background. Classic!

Surfer
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Tried again this morning with no luck. It was cold and windy and the conditions weren't the greatest. Walked around the entire lake throwing a Texas-rigged Berkley Powerbait Worm and caught nothing but weeds. The trout was still there but wouldn't bite the spinners that my friend were throwing right in front of them. I also noticed a few trout that were half alive next to the bank. I even managed to grab one with minimal resistance from the dying trout. I never realized how tough this lake is.

bman90278
04-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Tried again this morning with no luck. It was cold and windy and the conditions weren't the greatest. Walked around the entire lake throwing a Texas-rigged Berkley Powerbait Worm and caught nothing but weeds. The trout was still there but wouldn't bite the spinners that my friend were throwing right in front of them. I also noticed a few trout that were half alive next to the bank. I even managed to grab one with minimal resistance from the dying trout. I never realized how tough this lake is.

Yes Surfer, Alondra is a very humbling lake. I've only fished there for just under 2 years and I can't tell you how many times I've been skunked there and how many times I've seen a fish follow me up to the shore bank and just turn around. Hopefully I'll have more success this spring. Keep trying and best of luck to you!

brian

DockRat
04-29-2010, 07:07 AM
We lived on Ardath Ave across from the Rodium till 1970. All I remember was catching Crawdads there and riding bikes in back of A&W Rootbeer. Wasn't allowed to cross Crenshaw, was in 5th grade in 1970 and went to St Anthony's.
DR

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
i totally agree about alondra bein a tough lake to catch fish from, and mostly it has to do with the amt of foot traffic that constantly surrounds the lake. That being said, theres one saying that comes to mind: The best things in life dont come easy..lol Ive seen some complete hawgz pulled out of alondra when the fishings on, and most of the time.. its more than just one big one here and there.. they come in bunches if you know where to look 4 em. Texas riggings always a good choice at almost every lake, but the weeds at alondra make splitshotting almost impossible and frustrating. *Fishing Alondra w/plastics important tip: Either flyline your plastic worm or use an insert weight 2 keep the weeds to a minimum-- and believe me, when i figured this lil trick out, the flood gates opened and i caught bass on almost every trip to the lake from that point on. The fish in the picture im holding up was caught using this insert weight technique on a 5 inch manipulator worm, and 6lb line, right at the corner by where the pool is. Ive got a few more lil fishing tweaks that produce fish on a regular basis at alondra, let me know if yall wanna know =]
http://i43.tinypic.com/2r3vaww.jpg

Surfer
04-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I definitely want to know your secrets. I've visited the lake about 5 times and have been skunked each time without even as much as a nibble. You could private message them to me. Don't worry, I'm all about C&R. Not like some of those freaks that come out and break all the rules when it comes to trout.

bman90278
04-30-2010, 06:44 AM
I definitely want to know your secrets. I've visited the lake about 5 times and have been skunked each time without even as much as a nibble. You could private message them to me. Don't worry, I'm all about C&R. Not like some of those freaks that come out and break all the rules when it comes to trout.

Hey Surfer, Although I've caught bass there I probably got you beat on getting skunked. Last summer I'd probably get skunked 5 times in between catches and that makes it tough on me not getting grief from the wife..lol...First of all my wife doesn't understand why its so important to C&R and then she doesn't understand why I'm not coming home with photos of the fish I catch...I tell her cause that lake is a tough one. She says I'm a sucky fisherman..lol

Hang in there Surfer...Maybe we can meet up and get skunked together..lol

brian

Surfer
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
On my way to Alondra to get skunked again! Who knows. Maybe 6th time is the charm! Lol. Stand by for a report.

Surfer
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Beautiful t-shirt, shorts, and flip flop weather. I arrived at the lake around 9:30am and noticed the water was extra blue. I talked to a local there and he said the lake management put some blue chemical dye either to control the plant growth or bacteria. He said that when they do this the bite comes to a halt. I dunno because even when the lake water was clear I still never catch anything. Long story short--I got skunked again!

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
hopefully they bluestoned it the right way this time..lol

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
well... im on my way out to fish el dorado for a few hrs this afternoon since they stocked trout yesterday (thursday) afternoon, the bass mite be more active

blackberg
05-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I walked the lake today, I doubt they planted since the lake was just bluestoned. Water looks clear though, but blue lol.
I did see one trout, looked nice sized but my rod was in the car
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3861/photorbq.jpg

didnt see any of the "regulars" either

-bb

bman90278
05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Cool pic! Amazing there are some holdovers from the last stocking. Any trouts that survived the cormorants, hungry bass, and the poacher crew must be some tough trouts. lol

brian

I walked the lake today, I doubt they planted since the lake was just bluestoned. Water looks clear though, but blue lol.
I did see one trout, looked nice sized but my rod was in the car
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3861/photorbq.jpg

didnt see any of the "regulars" either

-bb

Surfer
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Checked out the lake today with my homie. I ended up with another skunk while my friend caught a small trout. Still a good number of holdovers from last months stocking. The truck should be arriving any day this week.

Something worth mentioning: walking towards my car along the no fishing area I noticed two huge bass come up and look at me before going down into the depths. They were absolute hogs--maybe 8-10lbs! I didn't expect such huge bass to be in a city lake. I almost lost my mind when I saw them! They were so big they looked like groupers. They must have been in there for years and very smart. So the bass are definitely there, and big ones.

bman90278
05-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Checked out the lake today with my homie. I ended up with another skunk while my friend caught a small trout. Still a good number of holdovers from last months stocking. The truck should be arriving any day this week.

Something worth mentioning: walking towards my car along the no fishing area I noticed two huge bass come up and look at me before going down into the depths. They were absolute hogs--maybe 8-10lbs! I didn't expect such huge bass to be in a city lake. I almost lost my mind when I saw them! They were so big they looked like groupers. They must have been in there for years and very smart. So the bass are definitely there, and big ones.

Surfer, I was just there in the 5o'clock hour and saw a 2 lber get caught and released and I hear another guy caught a larger one a few minutes earlier. Maybe the bass are getting more active. Question for you...Are you throwing out past the beds? I think the bigger bass you are seeing might be the females who still aren't active yet. I'm thinking about heading out in the early morning with bass and trout gear.

-b

Surfer
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Surfer, I was just there in the 5o'clock hour and saw a 2 lber get caught and released and I hear another guy caught a larger one a few minutes earlier. Maybe the bass are getting more active. Question for you...Are you throwing out past the beds? I think the bigger bass you are seeing might be the females who still aren't active yet. I'm thinking about heading out in the early morning with bass and trout gear.

-b

Honsely bro I was throwing everything I had everywhere. So I'm sure I hit those beds as well as before them and past them! Dude I'm still in disbelief as to the size of those monsters I saw earlier! So what were those guys throwing? While I was there this morning all the bass fishermen were throwing crankbaits.

TroutOnly
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
ROD I FISHED THERE FROM 1960 TO 1969,,,I LIVED IN TORRANCE ,THERE WAS A BASS CLUB THAT USE TO STOCK BASS IN THERE, HEDDON SONICS ,JITTERBUGS ,ALL THE OLD SCHOOL COOL STUFF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

bman90278
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Honsely bro I was throwing everything I had everywhere. So I'm sure I hit those beds as well as before them and past them! Dude I'm still in disbelief as to the size of those monsters I saw earlier! So what were those guys throwing? While I was there this morning all the bass fishermen were throwing crankbaits.
I can tell you I saw the guy catch the bass on a d/s and that's what his partner was using. There's a lot of feeders in the water now and lots of guys using swim baits.

bsp
05-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Watch the dudes chucking swimbaits carefully. I only toss swimbaits there and there are a few other legit swimbait guys, but there are a bunch of live trout fishing poachers. They'll have buckets with aerators for the trout too. DFG doesn't do anything about them. Several dudes have called and nothing happens. It sucks, but you can't do anything else.

bman90278
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Watch the dudes chucking swimbaits carefully. I only toss swimbaits there and there are a few other legit swimbait guys, but there are a bunch of live trout fishing poachers. They'll have buckets with aerators for the trout too. DFG doesn't do anything about them. Several dudes have called and nothing happens. It sucks, but you can't do anything else.

I did watch them good as I was just walking...Seemed that everyone had actual swimbaits....Although they all seemed to working the west side at one point which is the concrete side and a no fishing zone. One of the guys seemed nervous when I walked by. Maybe more and more of us need to keep calling the DFG.

brian

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
05-05-2010, 12:44 AM
i absolutely effin h8 the guys tossing live trout and hookin up that way. To make matters worse.. i remember a few yrs back, found a spot next to the pool in the corner where the hawgs were lurking, worked em for a solid hr n 45 mins... watching them swim up to my 5 inch fin-s swim minnow i was throwing, theyd chase it, mouth it, but just wouldnt commit 2 it all the way, and this lil f#ckwit walks up with a live trout .. crowds right in on where i was, and i mean within 5 inches from me... throws OVER my line.. and BAM hooks into about an 8 - 9 lb lmb :| (and to add insult to injury, he looks at me,smirks n says: now THATS how its done son. i almost opend a can of whoop@ss on him...lol any ways, even though its like talking to a brick wall, definitely report anyone using live trout , bluegill etc 2 dfg, just in case

Surfer
05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Checked it out this morning for an hour. The skunkage continues. The weather was nice but a little breezier than I would have liked. Threw the crankbait only to get snagged on weeds repeatedly. Didn't see any fish in the water except for the usual feeders and one lonely trout in the shallows of the no fishing zone. The lake is scheduled to be stocked this week but the truck hasn't arrived yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Surfer
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
At the lake right now. Aquabiocleanup boat and their crew was cleaning up the lake so no fishing for me this morning. Going back home.

blackberg
05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
did they plant? probably not if they are still working on the bluestoning
-bb

Surfer
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
-bb

Nope. Although the DFG website has it scheduled for this week: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/SouthCoast.asp no planting yet.

bman90278
05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
-bb

I talked to the guys this morning and said they were not spraying anything today. They also mentioned bluestoning cuts back the amount of sunlight that goes through the water....Its for slowing down the plant growth.

As far as the stocking...The poachers caught all of the trout this morning before the fish hit the water..Dang they are quick..

Seriously, if anyone could pm me when the truck shows up I would appreciate it.

brian

bman90278
05-06-2010, 04:32 PM
-bb

When I talked to the cleaning crew early this morning I was told they weren't spraying anything in the lake. Does anyone know if they did bluestone again?

blackberg
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I figured they where cleaning up what the bluestoning killed...how does the water look? it was blue last week
-bb

bman90278
05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I figured they where cleaning up what the bluestoning killed...how does the water look? it was blue last week
-bb

I was only there from 6am to 8am...No breeze, water smoothe as glass, and it seemed very clear. Maybe the guys I talked to this morning didn't understand my question when I asked about the die. Again, they told me the blue die actually blocks or restricts the sunlight going through the water and that is what slows do plant growth. Either way, they seemed to be there with the boat and nets which probably helped for now.

Trout Assassin
05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
This little lake takes a serious pounding. The poachers that set up residence (literally) there just destroy the trout by chumming and snagging as soon as they get dropped in. They call each other up as soon as the truck pulls up. The fish they don't sell get flylined for the bass. One of them told me he got a ticket for chumming and fishing in the red while he was pinning on a fresh trout for bait. DFG tickets are a joke to them because they are on welfare anyways. Now the lake workers putting too much dye and scrapping up the weedbeds that are the only sanctuary for these fish is only making it worse. Even though the dye doesn't kill the grown fish, it is horrible for the crawfish and fry. The best thing they could do is leave it alone. I have seen ponds at miniature golf courses that looked healthier than Alondra. Sad.

Surfer
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Finally broke the skunk streak. I caught and released about four trout today. The first was on an XRap Crankbait while trying for bass. The rest was on a tiny tadpole swimbait. It looks like they finally stocked the lake. I also met bman there today. Nice to meet you buddy. Finally got rid of the skunk but my quest for catching my first bass at Alondra continues.

bman90278
05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Finally broke the skunk streak. I caught and released about four trout today. The first was on an XRap Crankbait while trying for bass. The rest was on a tiny tadpole swimbait. It looks like they finally stocked the lake. I also met bman there today. Nice to meet you buddy. Finally got rid of the skunk but my quest for catching my first bass at Alondra continues.

Good to meet you too Surfer. Glad to see you and your buddy were catching some fish. Now we just gotta get rid of the poacher crew.

b

dfisher
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Good thread here.

I am a local to this pond. This is probably the toughest city pond to catch bass, that is why there are 8lb+ bass in here. There is no structure, only patches of weeds, most bass are caught in the back of the pond(near the restrooms). There are a ton of really small bass close to the shoreline, not even 5 yards out.

Drop shotting and top water action is the best out there. White flukes has probably the best chance to get hit. If you fish for bass, stay focused close to the shore, casting 5 yards or so veritcally with the shoreline. Always see 3-4lb class roaming but again they are very very skitish. The hawgs are pretty deep, best setup is probably fly lining huge worms or texas rig it, basically anything that is weedless.

Side note on the bread chuming - alot of people use this to ball up the little bait fish, they look like minnows but they have another name which I am drawing a blank here.. But yeah they ball up in the 100s and the small bass LOVE these bait fish.

Good luck out there!

Surfer
05-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Very informative! Thanks!

bman90278
05-21-2010, 11:01 AM
I went out to Alondra a few days ago in the early AM. Got hit by a 7+ lb bass and got a little over anxious and lost the bass and my line. Was running a 6 lb flouro topshot with plastic and should have let him run more. About 20 minutes later had a short strike at the surface, but no hookup. Had a great splash and a good look at the bass. Did see one of the regulars catch a nice 2 1/2 to 3 lb bass around 8am.

Seems like Alondra's motor for the air pump is having mechanical issues and isn't working, which will be definitely slowing the bass bite down. There was also the boat cleanup crew at Alondra yesterday scraping the vegetation which left lots of grass floating on the shore. Nice job..lol

I went this morning in the early am and no luck. Did see a couple very good sized bass in high speed pursuits, but they were way out in the open waters. Seems like their are still some trout holdovers way deep as that's even where a few kormants were getting breakfast. Also saw a few bass laying low just off the shore, but no action. Again the air pumps are all turned off still.

Between the weather changes, cooler water, and no air pumps I don't think I stand much of a chance right now.

-brian

Surfer
06-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Any recent reports of this place? I've been fishing ElDorado for the past month, but want to give this place another try. I'm determined to catch a bass from here.

dfisher
06-27-2010, 02:00 AM
I've been hitting this place up every Friday morning. Last Friday I got one dink, missed a couple and farmed 1 that took me deep into the weeds, I am pretty sure this was a bigger model.

Weeds are a huge problem here, they are growing everywhere, and no thanks to all the people that feed the damn ducks. Then the volunteers scrub the duck crap and push it into the water.

bman90278
06-27-2010, 07:57 AM
I've been hitting this place up every Friday morning. Last Friday I got one dink, missed a couple and farmed 1 that took me deep into the weeds, I am pretty sure this was a bigger model.

Weeds are a huge problem here, they are growing everywhere, and no thanks to all the people that feed the damn ducks. Then the volunteers scrub the duck crap and push it into the water.

Actually they did a ton of underwater cuttings a couple of weeks ago and pretty much made the majority of the shore weedline disappear...for now. I've only seen bass swimming close to the shoreline in the red zone areas since the last cuttings. Since the last cutting I personally feel the bite has gone down big time and I've only caught dinks and seen others catchin dinks lately.

I personally think the weedlines are great for the fry's, smaller fish like bluegill, and younger bass. Plus it makes great areas to fish.

On another note, Yesterday morning I saw a family with buckets and bags scooping up fry's along the shore in the back of the lake. One of the locals said something politely and he was cussed at by the whole family for several minutes..Take about your local Torrance or Gardena Ghetto Family..the dad, mom, and the little ones. WOW!!!!!!!! Not too long after the incident I saw the Sheriffs patrolling the lake.

brian

DockRat
06-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Any recent reports of this place? I've been fishing ElDorado for the past month, but want to give this place another try. I'm determined to catch a bass from here.

Dude, you should hit El Porto with your board and pole.
Check FNN SW report. Give it up. Go SW.
DR

Surfer
06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Huntington Beach is going off right now. 4-6 occ 7ft and good earlier.

DockRat
06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Saw some guys surfing at Pt Fermin today. It doesn't break too often, it needs the right angle to break.
DR