PDA

View Full Version : Fishing diamond valley in a pontoon rental boat on wed.

viperman100
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, I will be fishing the diamond on wed on a rental pontoon boat with a bunch of amtures (fish maybe once or twice a year tops). I'm soo excited every time I get to fish the jewel but to be honest I have never caught anything when fishing off of a pontoon and I know all eyes will be on me to get these guys on some fish.
First of all let me say that I am a strickley catch and release fisherman, all fish will be released back in the same location where they were caught.
With the bass spawning right now I want to know where can I get these guys on some decent fishing spots any suggestions are welcome, also how do you manage such a big boat when bass fishing? I have had the harderst time dealing with such a big boat how to position and then how to hold to a spot without anchoring, and soo on. If you have any tips for me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance.
I have done ok in the past, I'm defiantly not a regular at this lake but I do ok and always have fun there but it is going to be frustrating fishing with a bunch of guys who dont even know how to tie knots so any help would go a long way.

King Halibut
04-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Viper,

I too will be at DV on Wednesday in a pontoon.

I usually don't fish bass at DV but center my attention on the HUGE Blugill in that lake. If you're looking for a fun fish to catch, try the blugill. There are usually a ton of them along the dams, around the ladders.
Try using either mealworms or live crickets. The crickets kick ***!

I did read another post here last week that a couple guys hammered the bass around the floating toilets. I think they said they were using Senko lures. I tried Sport's Chalet yesterday but they don't carry that brand. May have to hit up Turners.

Anyhow, good luck.

KH

viperman100
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Thank you, thats an option that I hadnt even thought about, most of these guys will not care what they catch as long as they catch something. Is the bluegill bite on? I will definatly get some mealworms, and try that. I know for a fact they would have a hard time releasing something they caught because they dont understand bass fishing like I do, so if I could get them on some fish they can take home and cook up that would be great.

I will actually get there early and fish the shore until they arrive at about 9, so I can get my bass fix then, if I can find them from shore of coarse.

lurk 182
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
King Halibut. Sport Chalet has got to have Senkos. They are made by Gary Yamamoto, they come in a green bag. Technically called a Yamasenko. One of the most effective bass lures out there. Generally fished without a weight. The worm has enough salt in it that it slowly sinks on its own and you will often get bit before the worm even reaches the bottom. Watermelon black flake, black and red flake, and green pumpkin black flake are all pretty effective. They will cost you a buck a worm but they're way worth it. Some knock offs out there too but i don't try to save a dollar fifty when the bite is tough.

viperman100
04-13-2010, 04:46 PM
does anyone know if the bluegill are biting well at DVL right now, I think that would be a good target for the group I will be fishing with tomorrow.
if so what are your rigging tips and and lure choices, besides the meal worms and crickets, I have used small jigs in the past for bluegill but never tried it at DVL.
Thanks for your help.

King Halibut
04-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Viperman,

Hope your adventure to DVL was better than ours!
We fished HARD from 8am until 5pm without a bite. Not even a bite.
We fished for blugill, crappie, trout and catfish with the end result being a big ZERO.
Fished from one end of the lake to the other and back again.
I'm not a bass fisherman, but probably should have given it a try as that is the only thing I saw being caught yesterday.
Still to early in the year I guess, didn't even see a blugill.

KH

viperman100
04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
talked to the guys at the ramp before we left about bluegill and crappie, they suggested against it. Said the only crappie they have heard being caught was few and far between with most of the fish being localized in one area with structure over by the far end of the east dam.
Because of this we stuck to bass fishing, like I said I was working with a bunch of real rookies (I'm making no claims as to my fishing abilities but they guys needed help tying knots) so I knew it would be a tough day. We did end up getting on some bass using a couple spots the dock guy told us about and seeing these guys arent actual sport fisherman we ended up keeping three out of the eight fish caught. Not everyone caught fish but everyone had fun. We got checked out by the ranger while returning the boat all fish were legal size so we went home around 3:30.
The fishing was tuff though I dont know if it was the size of the boat that spooked the fish or what, but I felt lost alot of the time not have a depth finder or trolling motor it was kinda hard to sneak up on fish when your throwing an anchor overboard everytime you get to potential fishing spot.
Sorry you had such a hard time, I was actually glad that most of the fish were caught by two other guys and not myself I only caught one, two other guys caught three each and and then the last one was caught by someone else. Wish you better luck next time, and yes as soon as the water warms up a little more it should bring the gills up to play.