PDA

View Full Version : Trout Fishing At Lake Mission Viejo Seems Far From Over 4/11/2010

BigBass777
04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Lake Mission Viejo 4/11/2010:

We get a boat rental at 6:20am and nobody is fishing yet. We were the first ones out on a deserted lake. We head over to the dam area only to see boiling trout 40-50 yards out from the East swimbeach. So we drop anchor and Rich hooks up right away. He tosses out again and missed the fish using chartreuse garlic powerbait. I’ve never fished this beach before and we had white flies flying around and near the water’s surface. Are these midge flies? Anyone know? No wonder the trout were around. It appears a recent hatch has been underway. The boiling trout reminded me of tuna fishing. The flies and trout were there and then the boiling trout were gone just as fast as they were around. Don’t ya just dislike that?

We head over to Finesterra Beach and caught limits easy. We were done fishing at 8:05am and not a single boat was near us. The lake was very quiet and peaceful. With this cold front moving in, the trout have been on a feeding frenzy. The last trout stocking was March 10th and the fishing is far from over. The trout are biting in 6 areas of the lake. As long as you anchor in front of a beach the fish are there. The fish are sitting in 40-50ft of water. Market Cove has a lot of fish on the outside edge of it. Many of the fish in the Market Cove area are females loaded with eggs.

We used the powermouse on a 3ft leader, Water Gremlin pss-4 split shot as weight, 4lb Trilene, #8 Owner Mosquito hook, Berkley poweregg and trout worms. Rich used a white poweregg and an orange powerworm. I used a white poweregg with chartreuse powerworm.

He caught fish on chartreuse garlic powerbait. I tried chartreuse garlic powerbait and mixed it with rainbow glitter for 2 fish. I don’t use powerbait all that much anymore but it works for quick limits. On our prior 2 trips, Glenn couldn’t get bit on powerbait and I wasn’t suing it. I even caught a trout using what you call a backwards powermouse. Yep!! The powerworm head was tore up from hooking a fish so I put the hook into the tail section of the worm and tossed it out. It’s another way to get full usage from these thin baits. They tear easy after catching a few fish on them. Save some money and use them to their full extent. Backwards powermouse!! At least this one isn’t a thumb powermouse like what Glenn used on Saturday!!

I have lost count as to how many trout I've caught this season. Add in all of my other friends and it's quite a bit of fish. Here are the pics. The weather was cloudy and cold this morning.

Rich on an early morning bendo with his first cast. White flies are flying around the boat and near the water’s surface. The trout are feeding on them.
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/BigBass777/Picture001-13.jpg
Rich’s fish weighed 2.14lbs. It looked much bigger than that.
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/BigBass777/Picture002-12.jpg
Our catches of the day.
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/BigBass777/Picture005-8.jpg
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/BigBass777/Picture008-9.jpg

Troutman65
04-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Nice going on the trout . My friend is moving back to her condo in MV very soon and asked me to go fishing once she settles in . Sweet !! I have a way in to LMV now . Thanks for sharing

beerman420
04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Is LMV a private lake or can anybody go as long as u have a fishing license?

BigBass777
04-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Nice going on the trout . My friend is moving back to her condo in MV very soon and asked me to go fishing once she settles in . Sweet !! I have a way in to LMV now . Thanks for sharing

LMV is a private lake. No fishing license is required. You must know someone who lives here to be able to fish the lake. The lake member must bring you through the front gate.

Troutman65
04-12-2010, 08:22 PM
LMV is a private lake. No fishing license is required. You must know someone who lives here to be able to fish the lake. The lake member must bring you through the front gate.

I am sure she has membership and fishing privileges .

From what I understood the member has to fish with you ( Be with you ) while your fishing .

Thanks for all your great LMV posts you have posted BB777. I really enjoy reading them . It makes for something different in the FW section of the boards . You really don't hear about LMV except from you .