PDA

View Full Version : 2nd annual Imperial Valley Family flathead and channel tournament - May 15 - 16

bluehunter
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Thread for upcoming event at Imperial valley.

Anglers can fish any and all waters of the Imperial valley. The All American, Coachella, Highline, Alamo,sunbeam, weist lake. etc.

Details for event coming soon. This will be held in same location as last years event in Westmorland Park.

Last years results was the best and biggest ever for a catfish tournament for WCCM. Lets make this year even better.

3 divisions for this.

1. Adult Single flathead
2. Adult channel stringer - 5 fish total
3. Kids channel stringer - 5 fish total

1st thru 3rd place for each division at an 50%, 35%, and 15% of total deposit payout.

30 dollars total - ten dollars for each division.

Any interested please post your intent. Thanks.

1. Bluehunter + 1

bluehunter
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Last years slide video and winners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjk6bHR8FV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgyFo7B-tJY

Frenchy
04-11-2010, 12:40 PM
hey brian at 2:14 into the slde show is that a cop or dfg

bluehunter
04-11-2010, 12:57 PM
That was DFG. DFG was there for the registration and weigh in so I tell people to be on their P's and Q's when fishing. Once your get the permit they may show up and make sure everything is cool.

B

team760
04-11-2010, 05:11 PM
me and gina...will get fliers out after the pv event...T.

bluehunter
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.

bluehunter
04-16-2010, 09:01 AM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1

oatums
04-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Sound like fun........

bluehunter
04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
5. Big Daddy Kane and family.

bluehunter
04-19-2010, 07:41 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878

bluehunter
04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3

bluehunter
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450

bluehunter
04-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Here are the updated info for the points thread in our 4 catfish events this year. The winner with the most points will get a brand new Berkly E class rod and a brand new abu garcia 7000ICS reel. An excellent catfishing rod for the big boys flatheads or blues. Stay tuned. Anyone who participates in our event will qualify. However the best chance is to participate in each event to have the best chance at making the cut and winning.

This point system is for the top 5 fish landed in each category. It is separate of our money prizes which are 1st thru 3rd or single biggest channel. So people who do not even place in the money category are still in for the rod even if they do not win in the money prize. Its for the top 5 fish in each category. So if a person wins first place in the flathead division and channel division - he gets 10 points.

Example.

1st biggest = 5 points
2nd biggest = 4 points
3rd biggest = 3 points
4th biggest = 2 points
5th biggest = 1 point.

This goes for flathead and channel categories.

Here are the updated point system stats for the rod and reel combo up for grabs at the conclusion of our catfishing tournaments coming this August. Congrads to all the winners in the point system.

Event 1 - Palo Verde

1. Ryan W - 1st place flat and 3rd biggest channel ( 2.99#s) = 8 points
2. Eric Williams 2nd place flat(6.8#) and 5th biggest channel ( 1.6) = 5 points
3. Earl Savard 1st place channel at 5.64#s = 5 points
4. Morgan blake - 2nd biggest channel at 5.00#s = 4 points
5. Jeremy Williams - 3rd biggest flat = 3 points
6. Kurt Williams - 4th biggest channel = 2 pts
7. Darrian Robinson 4th biggest flat = 2pts

Previous points will be added to future points to continue in the giveaway in August. The points from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th event will add up for points for the August giveaway.

bluehunter
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums

bluehunter
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Map of westmorland park location.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-23152005-westmorland-city-park;_ylt=AgUJZomqbGaMe.Ch.gaGnqGHNcIF;_ylv=3?csz= Westmorland%2C+CA

If you are traveling on insterstate 10 from Los Angeles area you would take Interstate 10 to Indio area and then take the hwy86 route going towards Brawley. You will come into the town of Westmorland which is about 50 miles from Indio. You will pass Salton sea all on your left hand side. Once you get into town you will come to an area by the court house on your right which is where the park is at. Can not miss it.

Meeting time will be at 8am Sat morn on the 15th and we will meet back at 8am the following Sunday Morning of the 16th. Where ever you fish at, make sure that you leave your area in time to be at the weigh in by 8am.

We would like for everyone to arrive by 730am so things can be in place to do the deliveries after 8am. No one will be accepted after 8am for weigh in as that is the cut off. So please shoot for 730am.

Rules of the event.

1. Must Register prior to participating in event - $10 kids channel 5 fish stringer, $10 single adult flat, $10 adult channel 5 fish stringer. $30 total.
2. Prizes awarded at 50%, 35%, and 15% of all categories.
3. All waters of the imperial valley are allowed in this tournament including the Alamo, Highline, main, Coachella, All American, lakes - Sunbeam, Weist lake, Ramer - All open space and areas to fish.
4. Private property areas are not allowed.
5. Colorado River is off limits for this event. Only Lakes and canals of the Imperial Valley.
6. Rules of DFG must be followed.
7. Must have state fishing license.
8. No swipping or sharing of fish.
9. Flatheads must be freshly caught.
10. Channels must be freshly caught.
11. Must be back by 8am to began the close of weigh in - arrive by 730am.
12. Anyone caught cheating or ticketed by DFG for breaking rules will be disqualified.
13. Only legal methods of taking fish are acceptable - no traps or jugging.
14. Keep fishing areas clean.
15. Use legal and natural bait for fishing, bluegill, shiners, crawdads, worms, goldfish. Tilapia are not allowed below interstate 8 and on the All American.
16. Have fun and share your joy with others.

Any question of event please ask prior. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

B

bluehunter
04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2

DockRat
04-23-2010, 06:11 AM
4. Private property areas are not allowed.

All the service roads and sides of the canals like the guys fishing in the video are owned by I I D
Imperial Irrigation District.
They are not public land but legal to fish.

Looks like previous contests were in violation of contest rules. :Spank:
DR

bluehunter
04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Private property waters are off limits. There are ponds in the area that are private property with catfish in them. IE owned by a single individual private property - pay pond - not open to the public. Anywhere the public can fish at qualifies . Not areas that are not open to everyone. Everyone must be able to fish the zones to make it fair.

DockRat
04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Just tossing out a curve ball.

Lived in Brawley for 3 1/2 years and heard stories about those Alamo River Cats.
If someone wants a 50+ pounder that would be the spot. The problem with the Alamo is the pollution. No open cuts. Try to avoid contact with the water. The All American problem is that they have those gates every mile or so. The fish get locked in and stuck in thier section. Can't reach monster size.

Big 8/0 hooks
60 + lb test
Big Bait
= Hero or Zero

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/eng6/giantcatfish.jpg

Good Luck, DR

bluehunter
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Correct. The New River definitely needs to be avoided. The Alamo does have the monster flats. If anyone planes on eating fish the ones to eat are the ones from the All American, coachella, highline, main, or lakes in the area.

The All American did put out a few 30 pounders last year at the event. Beautiful flats. The biggest flat at 38 pounds came from the Alamo last event.

Katnip
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Here are one of those AA flats bluehunter is talking about .http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/katnip66/1272080671.jpg

bluehunter
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Yep that was a beast. Thanks for posting.

B

bluehunter
04-23-2010, 10:20 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2
11. Catfishgrabbin +5

bluehunter
04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2
11. Catfishgrabbin +5
12. Earl +1

bluehunter
04-26-2010, 06:44 AM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2
11. Catfishgrabbin +5
12. Earl +1
13. Mag

bluehunter
04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Recent reports from those on the go is that the flathead bite has broke wide open in the Imperial valley area. This region has the best flathead bite as of now with reports of people getting 20 runs in one night . And these flats are biting during daylight hours on the Alamo. A 27 pounder came from a pipe in the IV area as well last week. Quite a few fellas is going on the scout this coming weekend checking out the Alamo and also the All American for flats and the coachella for channels. I will scout it out the weekend of the 8th fishing both the Alamo and the All American. Those wishing to get in on the scout it is advisable that you do so that you can pre determine the spot you will fish at. There is so much water down here and open places you can fish at it is amazing - however with a lot of the regulars from the local towns in the IV - it may be advisable that you check out the area to establish a plan a,b,c, and d plan in case your spot is taken up. Flyers have already been generated locally in the area. Interest in this years event is even higher than last year it seems so add that to the internet people we are bound to reach similar marks as last year or break it beyond the 50 people mark which was almost our mark last year. Any questions or inquiries hit us up. We will let the local bait shops in Calipatria and El Centro know about the event in that they will stock up on goldfish. There are bluegill areas all around you can get bait at as well. Tilapia too.

B

bluehunter
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
On deck as a sponsor in the event is Mainline bait and tackle of El Centro. They will have goldfish, shiners, crawdads, stinkbait, livers, and cut mack on deck for those that need it on the registering of the event Sat morning. Also a special prize will go to the winner of the kids division.

A big encouragement is going out for people to bring your kids in this event. There are plenty of open areas you can get channels at like the highline, coachella, Main, All American, and tamarack that is a good channel fishery. If you need specific detail and help on those areas contact us in advance and team 760 as he lives in the area and have knowledge on fishing areas that you can venture. The day of event will be too late, so let us know. More pertinent information to follow soon.

B

bluehunter
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
One week away peeps. I went out this past weekend and did a little test run on the Alamo. Report coming later tonite.

Any last minute questions or anything else hit me up.

B

bluehunter
05-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Quick little run down. Found a lot of good areas to fish. Found some good bluegill holes thanx to my partner team760. Relaxed and had a good tiem out there.

I think next week will be a good turn out and folks will get in on some fish. I cracked a channel at 7 pounds. A double D flathead and 3 missed runs two of which broke off one due to snagg and the other all fish. Rather it happen this weekend than next weekend though as I am still a rookie in IV waters and it is different than the Palo Verde and Co River in a lot of ways. For one the Mo is deeper and has faster current plus drops in a few locations.AAC is definitely faster in most of it. Have some good footage plus I also recorded a snake that went pass me as I woke up to a phone call from Todd and low and behold a snake is making his way across from me! LOL.

I took a lot of pics and burned a lot of gas searching areas on the Alamo. Will get the other stuff out later tomorrow including the snake. On the way home picked up a custom made livewell decked out from wood from club member Ryan to use for tournaments of live flats/channels and even use for bait fish. Its a beautiful and excellent set up and is just what I needed. Its big, but it will do. I need a pick up truck on my next car searching. : ) Will leave a few pics. Other stuff from weekend coming later. Time to hit the sack.

B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4B8kMXAvqE

Coach D'
05-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Dznam, the livewell is bomb! Ya, your sure gona need a pickup for that bad boy.

What a beautiful snake! Not sure, but it looked like a Kingsnake. We all should hope so because the EAT Rattlesnakes!

Yo B, how unselfish of you to be burnin feul to help all the fist-timers have a chance at finding a descent spot to fish for the derby. The least I could do is support! Put Bonz on the list...I B Der! And I'll be sportn' my WCCM shirt> Baby Babaay!!!!

Nice video too. Hey, you had a couple of shots where two rods were set up...is that one possible spot to get my toon in the water?

Good Lookin.

bluehunter
05-13-2010, 06:52 AM
For sure. That was one spot that I was going to take you to to launch. The esiest patway I seen plus a lot of good spots there as well. There is also another spot as well that is like that. We will hook u up bro. Thanks.

bluehunter
05-13-2010, 06:53 AM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2
11. Catfishgrabbin +5
12. Earl +1
13. Mag
14. Bonz

ivcat
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
ivcat is in...+1

bluehunter
05-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks IVcat.

1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2
11. Catfishgrabbin +5
12. Earl +1
13. Mag
14. Bonz
15. IVcat+1

10milehike
05-14-2010, 08:13 AM
count me in +2

bluehunter
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
1. Bluehunter+ 1
2. Team760 and Gina.
3. LowDesertJon
4. Trueblue +1
6. Ryan7878
7. Katnip +3
8. SyKo450
9. oatums
10. Mangles +2
11. Catfishgrabbin +5
12. Earl +1
13. Mag
14. Bonz
15. IVcat+1
16.10milehike+2

bluehunter
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
First off I would like to thank each and every participant for making the 2nd annual Imperial Valley family catfish tournament. We had a very good turn out of 38 anglers. Lots of old familiar faces, and plenty of new ones too. Its anglers like you that continue to help WCCM grow and grow and to provide the finest local tournaments for catfish in So Cal - where everyone can meet and greet and fish together while learning at the same time in friendly competiton with one another.

Thanks goes out once again to Todd and Gina of team760. Your help and dedication is truly appreciated. You helped the awakening of catfishing in the Imperial Valley, and I look forward to so much more in the future to help in notoriety, awareness, and passion for that area as well. Thanks goes out to Darrian of the IE for making his second consecutive event and for helping in the event as well - You got that double D and I see they are now getting bigger and bigger for you - good looking out with the help afterwards in the event. Thanks goes out to Big Daddy Kane for making the run. Thanks to Ryan for putting together the livewell for WCCM to use in the events. Thanks to Earl and his wife Cynthia for being active participants. Thanks goes out to the La Mesa Boys - Eric, Kurt, Morgan. Thanks to Joe,Max, Ryan W, and Ryan for being at wccm events passionly the last few years. Congrats goes out to Chad "Mangles" - for catching his pb flat. Great sportmanship in releasing the fish as well. Great job and thanks for participating in the event with your dad.

Thanks goes out to Mainline tackle store of El Centro for sponsoring the event and providing live bait for the participants in the WCCM event. You help was greatly appreciated. Those goldfish were huge. The fishing rods and tackle boxes was awesome. Mainline also is grecious enough to provide a 10% discount to anyone that is a wccm club member. All you have to do is mention West Coast Cat Masters and he will give you a 10% discount on purchased items from his store.

Thanks goes out to the IV press. Thanks goes out to the DFG for permits. Plus thanks goes out to every new face that showed up to the event. Truly hope that you had a great time and that you will share your experience with others as well.

Now for the report - The imperial Valley is truly a jewel that is hidden in southern California. This region for the 2nd consecutive year produced massive flatheads that is second to none for a catfish tournament in southern California. So many waters to fish. So many areas to cover on that water you choose to fish. This is the flathead capital of California in its true meaning. Running neck and neck with the shared Colorado River of Ca and Az as well as the other off shoot waters like the Palo Verde and the All American canal. This is a great place to fish if you take the time to learn the waters.

Flatheads was caught up to 40 pounds. Lines was snapped on the alamo River- must use Braid there. PB's was set for many anglers new and experienced. Plus memories that will last for a long time with fun out on the water. There were many trophies caught as well as many double D's and single D flats. Kids brought in stringers of channels that will help engage them in the sport. Also stringers of channels was brough in for the adults and it really did not take much to win in that pot as well as most people focused on the flatheads. The following is a run down of what went down on the waters that day and night for the winners:

Flatheads

1st place - Bricks Buffington (Rex) of Brawley, Ca = 40.82 pounds - Alamo RIver
2nd place - Chand Mangold ( mangles) of Yucaipa, Ca = 37.61 pounds - Alamo River
3rd place - Ruben Mangana of Coachella, Ca = 28.06 pounds - Alamo River

Other notable catches were the following:

27.73#s Alamo - John Keaton
25.9#s Alamo - George Wetjen
17.54 Alamo - Jake Keaton
19.55 -Alamo- Bricks Buffington
16.73 Alamo - Don Mangold
14.85 Alamo - Todd Acorn - team760
11.26 - Alamo - Darrian Robinson
9.63 - Alamo - Gary Cooper
9.23 - Alamo - Tony Cardenas
7.73 - Alamo - Bobby Wetjen.
7.01 - Alamo - Ryan Wiggington.
6.87 - Alamo - Max Garcia
6.81 and 5.05 - Alamo - Brian Cummings - bluehunter
6.21 and 3.83 - Alamo - Maria Wetjen
5.53 - Alamo - Eric Williams

Channels stringer - Adult divison.

1st place - George Wetjen - 6.94#s - Alamo
2nd place - Max Garcia of Indio - 6.87#s, Cochella canal
3rd place - Joe Aguirre of La Quinta - 3.83#s, Cochella canal

Kids stringer

1st place - Dolton Pish - 1.6#s - Diesal canal
2nd place- Susan Chapin - 1.49#s - Central main canal
3rd place- Brian Wischert - 4.23 pound flathead default 3rd place - Alamo Canal

Again this was a great event. Look forward to seeing everybody at the Flatmasters 4 event in Blythe at Mayflower Park - June 19 thru 20,

Also Canal Expeditions 3 coming to the Imperial valley August 7 -8 This is the final event event of the year. Stay tune for details on that one.

Thanks for viewing everybody and look forward to seeing ya all again soon.

Bluehunter - Brian Cummings

bluehunter
05-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Here are a few pics from event. Winner interviews coming later.

http://www.westcoastcatmasters.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1532&start=30

bluehunter
05-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Interviews and picture slides vid posted here. Hope yall enjoy.

B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4SDb57nbw