PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam Fuel Stabilzer

MarkyMark
04-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I put some in my boat in November--havn't used it since..Do I need to drain the fuel or just add fresh gas?

Thanks

Nessie Hunter
04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Fuel stabilizer is mainly Alcohol.... It mixes with both the gas & any accumulated water, so it burns...

Probably need to add some fresh stabilizer (it evaporates) and fresh gas...

Kevman
04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
SeaFoam is not alcohol at all. It's a 100% petroleum product.

From their website: "Sea Foam is composed solely of three specially blended petroleum oils – each having specific functions such as lubricating, cleaning or moisture control. There are no other chemicals (not even color dyes) included in the formulation. Being of the same basic petroleum chemistry as the motor oils and gasoline you already use in your engine, Sea Foam is completely compatible with all engine components, fuels, lubricants and other additives you may have in your engine. Sea Foam will not damage gaskets or seals, and will not interact in a negative way with motor oil or fuel, or the additives used in them."

Unless your gas was already very old in November, it's likely it's still just fine. Is your motor a small outboard with a separate tank, or do you have a larger boat with a built-in tank? If you have a small separate tank I'd say pour that gas in your car/truck and put fresh gas for the boat. Otherwise add more SeaFoam to the boat tank and drive it like you stole it!

FYI, with SeaFoam in your gas it's normal for the vehicle to smoke a bit more than usual. One of the benefits is that SeaFoam lubricates and cleans carbon deposits. I've been using it for cars and boats for years with good results.

Tight Lines,
Kev

MarkyMark
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a built in tank---late start to the fishing season this year!!!

DockRat
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Got about 15 gal from Nov too. Was planing on topping it off at 40 gal and thats all.
Should be ok. If your boat is at home syphon it into your car 50/50 with fresh.
DR

MarkyMark
04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I have 3 gallons in a 13 gallon tank--had left some untreated gas in a 4 stroke quad for 6 months between Jun - Jan had to clean the jets

I can't seem to find time to make it out to a lake and run it

MM

MarkyMark
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Update--Used it on Friday--I added some fresh gas and it started right up; no problems!! no smoking!!

Kevman
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Good job! Did you catch fish?

MarkyMark
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Good job! Did you catch fish?

yes..a couple of stripers!!