PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Float Tube Derby

jimbob
04-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Who else besides Fireball fished the derby today? I was out there and checked out the signup list and didnt see any of the FNN Locals on it? Great Job Fireball! I watched catch your 4.8! you were right next to Butch he filmed you catchin it. That's really cool of him to hang out with you guys.

Congrats to those of you who did sign up and take the time to give back to the lake.

Fire Ball
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't think any FNNers were in the actual derby, but bassguy was there just fishing from his tube. A lot of people from another site were in the derby. fishbones and CAPT'N were there for the food and announcing of the winners after the derby and I talked to them. Were you in the derby or were you fishing from your boat or something? How come you didn't say hi, lol? It was cool that Butch was filming some of the derby and that I caught a fish when he was filming, haha.

pizz
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
i fished the derby and got 4th with 11.8 lbs. 19.7 won it or something very close to that. it was a tough day overall, i got lucky and decided to attempt to sight fish with a cloudy sky and the sun came out for 30 mins and i caught 3 fish in that time. 2 others i caught worming. lost a definite solid cull fish 3 mins before the buzzer. jumped once and came off .. might have put me in 3rd place since i was only 2 lbs away and i had a 1.8 lb fish.

what really really sucked was there was a kayak polo thing in paradise cove since thursday and they were there about 10am stirring up the water. then some girls camp showed up and were in kayaks and canoes all over the beach and tree point area. which happened to be where i was at. nothing like kayakers going over your line.

Fire Ball
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
i fished the derby and got 4th with 11.8 lbs. 19.7 won it or something very close to that. it was a tough day overall, i got lucky and decided to attempt to sight fish with a cloudy sky and the sun came out for 30 mins and i caught 3 fish in that time. 2 others i caught worming. lost a definite solid cull fish 3 mins before the buzzer. jumped once and came off .. might have put me in 3rd place since i was only 2 lbs away and i had a 1.8 lb fish.

what really really sucked was there was a kayak polo thing in paradise cove since thursday and they were there about 10am stirring up the water. then some girls camp showed up and were in kayaks and canoes all over the beach and tree point area. which happened to be where i was at. nothing like kayakers going over your line.

I absolutely HATE those kayak polo people! It was so annoying having them there the past few days. I was glad they didn't show up in Paradise Cove when I was fishing it yesterday. That sucks that you lost a good fish! Congrats on 4th place though. I didn't know you were on FNN.

jimbob
04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah it sucks when you wanna fish down on that end and it's packed with kayaks and swimmers and stuff! Bummer. But both of you did a great job of finding and catching fish. I saw some guys callin it a day early because of the breeze and poor fishing conditions.

Congrats Pizz on 4th place it looked like you got alot of nice stuff.

I was helping with derby and was recording the weights when they called them in. I just started helping FOCL and its a very cool organization.

Fireball is very easy to ID in his orange tube!

I have a boat and usually fish during the week to avoid the crowds. I am thinkin of fishin the next one in June once the grass has grown up and the reaction bait bite is in full swing. It looked like a lot of fun and I expected alot more people from here to be in it with the way you guys have been whackin them lately.

Great job again guys!

Fire Ball
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah it sucks when you wanna fish down on that end and it's packed with kayaks and swimmers and stuff! Bummer. But both of you did a great job of finding and catching fish. I saw some guys callin it a day early because of the breeze and poor fishing conditions.

Congrats Pizz on 4th place it looked like you got alot of nice stuff.

I was helping with derby and was recording the weights when they called them in. I just started helping FOCL and its a very cool organization.

Fireball is very easy to ID in his orange tube!

I have a boat and usually fish during the week to avoid the crowds. I am thinkin of fishin the next one in June once the grass has grown up and the reaction bait bite is in full swing. It looked like a lot of fun and I expected alot more people from here to be in it with the way you guys have been whackin them lately.

Great job again guys!

Well, I would disagree on finding the fish, lol. I only caught 3 fish when I really wanted to get a limit. I would have placed in the top 5 if I caught a decent limit. Pizz did well though. I saw him catch one of his fish. So you were watching from the shore when I got my fish or what? My tube is awesome, but the color is definitely identifiable, lol.

SND
04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, the bite was a little tough for sure. I ended up with three fish 3.7lb, 3.3lb, and a 1.1lb dink (first fish of the derbyat 6.30am). I farmed three nice ones, but the kayakers and the 75 girls sorta ruined it after 9.30am. The turnout was WAY WEAKER than last year for sure (think there were 42 last year...not sure but that's what I recall). I caught the dink on a splitshot, then the two 3 lbers were sight fishing before the Canadian kayaking basketball team showed up and acted like no one else was there but them. I mean...Pizz and another guy were fishing behind the pier, and those kayakers would just run back there...in and out...like they were warming up their kayaks for a drag race or something...it was odd ot say the least. Hopefully the FOCL will delay all the other stuff until the derby is over in June (should be over by noon) which will give everyone else plenty of daylight to kayak or sailboat or whatever, but for sure...the kayak basketball thing and the 75 girls screaming on boats all in Paradise were a distraction for the few fishermen that decided to fish that section. Pizz hit 4th (way to go Pizz). The dude that won was on fire...he fished the lake every day this week and figured out the pattern...he was on fire (caught 8 fish wiht the biggest going 6.9lbs and he finished with 19lbs)...that's the biggest stringer weight that I can remember in this derby history (i fished it every year except for 2007)...he was on it for sure..J-Mack got 2nd (dude is badass at the lagoon for sure)

pizz
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. I had a really good time. It was my first tube derby and look forward to the next one. See ya out on the lake.

Fishbones
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
great job to all you guys.....i helped out with the clean up and then after went over to see the tube tourney finale.

I was the guy that asked the winner what he was using and what line size he had on.