PDA

View Full Version : Skunky Friday @ Casitas

McFingers
04-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Went to Casitas yesterday after work (5:30 - 7:30)

Fishing Texas rigged Robo's and senkos with a bead between the weight and hook. Bite on the first cast, couldnt set the hook fast enough (windy).

Worked ALL the way around the cove to the other side, then worked ALL the way back. ONly one or two more bites, but no hooksets.

It finally happened....I.....got.....S K U N K E D!!!

Eh, oh well. I think it is because I got some of my 100% DEET Bug Spray on my hands before I even got to touch my fishing rod. That cursed the whole day.

Good Luck out there!!

bassinnut
04-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Those bass are moving to the points. I made the mistake of chasing bed fish when i should have hit point justs off the flats. we only got 3 little guys and one broke off by the small islands

McFingers
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah. When is this wind gonna end?
Its killing me from the shore

Fire Ball
04-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry about the skunk! Maybe that bug spray is the equivalent to skunk spray for a bass, lol.

SC400DUDE
04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I always use scent to mask any odors...the Gulp! spray works wonders. Spray every 2-3 casts and you're golden.

I actually got 2 and missed 3 on the same day from 11:30am-2pm...I was drop shotting 4.5 inch Robo's.

Here's what I normally do whent he wind picks up...cast as far as you can into the wind and let the wind and/or waves work my bait for me. When the wind is howling, I use at least a 1/4 oz weight/sinker. I noticed that the bank gets muddy as the waves stir up the muck. I got bit as my bait was worked within that transition from clear to muddy.

Casitas gets hammered from the bank and the fish have seen almost everything thrown at them plus the kitchen sink. So don't be afraid to switch things up or down-size. I've gotten a lot of bites on the smaller stuff fished on the lighter line.

I got a few fish on Senko's last week rigged weight-less and pitched on the flats with the scattered brush.

It'll be 4 days before I can hit up Casitas again :(

McFingers
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah I will probably hit it up again later this week and defenitely this weekend. I might try my luck on the west end (G and M Coves, Deep Cat, Coyote Creek Ramp Flats.)

I'll give that weightless senko a shot. the 5" one has enough weight to cast on its own.

JohnMarino
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Castias is getting tough guys but the Afternoon bite has been great, When the wind starts kicking hard we have been getting 20+ fish each time out worming anything. 6" oxblood on the dropshot has been most productive and I cant get bit on a 5inch senko for nothing! 3-4 inch senko has been the ticket. Most of our fish are deep and the windy shallow fish you gotta fish it slow! Waters too clear fish 4lb test. Will post up a report soon I stuck a giant last week :)

McFingers
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Castias is getting tough guys but the Afternoon bite has been great, When the wind starts kicking hard we have been getting 20+ fish each time out worming anything. 6" oxblood on the dropshot has been most productive and I cant get bit on a 5inch senko for nothing! 3-4 inch senko has been the ticket. Most of our fish are deep and the windy shallow fish you gotta fish it slow! Waters too clear fish 4lb test. Will post up a report soon I stuck a giant last week :)

Ive gotten some hits as soon as the senko hit the water. Orange color with green/red flake. I fish 6lb seaguar invisix. Defenitely put up that pic!!

Since it has been cooling down and been windy (plus rain); me thinks they moved a little depper (the good sized ones at least). There are some shallow in Wadleigh (they are chasing shad).

I dunno, I'll give it a shot Friday and Saturday...maybe even thursday if I get home from work early enough.

Or maybe its time to hit up the goon. Also, I am thinking about getting a kayak or a canoe. A nice flat back one that i can put a trolling motor on. We will see...

Fire Ball
04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Or maybe its time to hit up the goon. Also, I am thinking about getting a kayak or a canoe. A nice flat back one that i can put a trolling motor on. We will see...

Definitely hit the Goon again. :LOL:
Get a kayak, that way you can take it in the ocean too, since you live close.

bassinnut
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Ive gotten some hits as soon as the senko hit the water. Orange color with green/red flake. I fish 6lb seaguar invisix. Defenitely put up that pic!!

Since it has been cooling down and been windy (plus rain); me thinks they moved a little depper (the good sized ones at least). There are some shallow in Wadleigh (they are chasing shad).

I dunno, I'll give it a shot Friday and Saturday...maybe even thursday if I get home from work early enough.

Get a foot powered kayak for casitas and tube for the goon. How do you like that invisx on your spinning gear. I have using p-line and thinking of switching over

McFingers
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Its good. It's 6lb test, so it moves a lot in the wind. Strong knots though. Make sure you don't use too much lure for the rod/line combo though. I threw a spinnerbait and a jig too hard and the line snapped right at my fingers by the reel.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU SPIT IN THE KNOTS BEFORE CINCHING. Cant stress that enough lol!!!

When they were spawning, I was killing it. Good Line. I may put 8 or 10 LB test on my baitcaster.

JohnMarino
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Its good. It's 6lb test, so it moves a lot in the wind. Strong knots though. Make sure you don't use too much lure for the rod/line combo though. I threw a spinnerbait and a jig too hard and the line snapped right at my fingers by the reel.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU SPIT IN THE KNOTS BEFORE CINCHING. Cant stress that enough lol!!!

When they were spawning, I was killing it. Good Line. I may put 8 or 10 LB test on my baitcaster.

LMAO I was at casitias today and I snapped off two chatterbaits ! Didnt even bother to check the loop backlash in my braid baitcaster, If anyone finds em LET ME KNOW! lol

McFingers
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
LMAO I was at casitias today and I snapped off two chatterbaits ! Didnt even bother to check the loop backlash in my braid baitcaster, If anyone finds em LET ME KNOW! lol

Might be going this afternoon is the Flyers are playing good and winning after the 1st period. If I find them, and they arent spawning or monsters, Ill let you know for sure.

LuvThymetal
04-17-2010, 04:54 AM
WHAT?????????? This cant be realy !!!!! you finally got skunked at casitas lake WOWOWWOOW. lol

McFingers
04-17-2010, 02:17 PM
WHAT?????????? This cant be realy !!!!! you finally got skunked at casitas lake WOWOWWOOW. lol

HAR HAR HAR

Got skunked again today too. Just not my month I guess.