PDA

View Full Version : slow fishin at the duct

captain skunked again
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
so i have been to the california aqueduct a few times this last months and im not gettin any love... i have been to several spots have read and tried to apply striper bill tips... nothin seems to be workin? last week i went and attempted to do a little bait and wait fishin out at a spot in lancaster, we got there at about 5:30 am threw our anchovies on the hook casted them out and sat......and sat.....and sat......and nothing.... it was very windy so i would recommend if your fishin out in that area atleast bring a wind breaked because its as if the wind just pierces threw your sweat shirt. yesterday i went to a few different spots near littlerock... i got there around 6:00 am, i had brought along two buddies of mine. we got there and i decided to throw on a pencil lure....no luck. moved to a few different colors so i moved to a lipless crankbait...still no love...(i have been walkin up and down the duct this whole time) i decided to throw on a swimbait colored like a shad, i cast out a few times and i think i might have gotten a bite and missed it but it honestly was probably just weeds. oh lol i forgot yesterday we got there and within 20 minutes one of my buddies fell in the duct and was soaking wet. i wasn about to leave cuz i had just gotten there so he stripped downto his huggies and fished all day in them. idk wat im doin wrong does anybody have any tips or tricks for me?

Marine_Michael
04-10-2010, 10:47 AM
The duct is hit and miss and you just have to find them. It took me almost 8 months of fishing the duct to get my first striper (I've caught lots of catfish on chicken liver and anchovies) Fish the back side of the gates if the water is moving at all and if you don't get bit within 20 min or so keep moving to another location. If the water is still, gates closed, walk and cast your lure along the open areas and bends. The best advise is keep at it. With the water starting to warm the fish are becoming more active. Try Flukes in various colors, white, shad, and darker colors for low light situations, dawn, dusk. Use jig heads from 1/2 oz for calm water to 1.5 oz for fast moving water. The fish seem to still be in the lower water column so bounce the flukes off the bottom or use lures that will get into that target area. Kpn's 1 oz lures are reported to work good, work them right above the bottom but be prepared to loose a few. Those hooks are sharp and strong and will get hung up if you're not careful.

If there is current try drifting a chicken liver with little to no weight in the current and walking along with it. I use the circle/octopus style hooks so if the fish takes it and runs it practical hooks itself.

Good luck.

kpn
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
The duct is hit and miss and you just have to find them. It took me almost 8 months of fishing the duct to get my first striper (I've caught lots of catfish on chicken liver and anchovies) Fish the back side of the gates if the water is moving at all and if you don't get bit within 20 min or so keep moving to another location. If the water is still, gates closed, walk and cast your lure along the open areas and bends. The best advise is keep at it. With the water starting to warm the fish are becoming more active. Try Flukes in various colors, white, shad, and darker colors for low light situations, dawn, dusk. Use jig heads from 1/2 oz for calm water to 1.5 oz for fast moving water. The fish seem to still be in the lower water column so bounce the flukes off the bottom or use lures that will get into that target area. Kpn's 1 oz lures are reported to work good, work them right above the bottom but be prepared to loose a few. Those hooks are sharp and strong and will get hung up if you're not careful.

If there is current try drifting a chicken liver with little to no weight in the current and walking along with it. I use the circle/octopus style hooks so if the fish takes it and runs it practical hooks itself.

Good luck.

Good advice Michael.

Captain Skunk,
Take Michael's advice and keep at it....you will find some fish. Good luck out there....

KPN.

klymons
04-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Marine Michael, you rule! I have been searching everywhere for this kind of detailed advice on Duct fishing! I immediately printed it out to take me with me to the tackle store--and to the Duct as a valuable cheat sheet. Great info & many thanks.

Marine_Michael
04-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I forgot to mention buck-tail jigs both with and without trailers are known producers as well. Bounce them off the bottom same as you would the flukes. BTW I've tried a bunch of different scents to try and entice the fish and after all is said and done, when I finally caught my first striper it was on a brand new fluke with no scent added. A good friend of mine and striper killer Yolo never uses scent and he's one of the best duct fisherman I know of.

tpfishnfool
04-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Please do not post up anymore pics of that kind..... LOL

M@M
04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
The Duct is Selfish!....It doesn't like giving up the Stripers!!... Keep at it ...some day it may show you favor!!:Smile:.....when it does enjoy it.....they don't come easy!!:Wink:

wackyrigged
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I could show you my honey hole then id have to kill you J/K hit me up i always catch em there when the water is still catfish thogh flyline it for stripers when the waters moving by the gates or under a bridge

captain skunked again
04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
thanks to everyone lol i knew it would be a tough task but all i keep seeing are these posts of guys pulling out monsters... lol i just hope they arent growing a third eye if you know what i mean lol... im gunna be at it again this friday but im runnin out of spots to go lol...

captain skunked again
04-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I could show you my honey hole then id have to kill you J/K hit me up i always catch em there when the water is still catfish thogh flyline it for stripers when the waters moving by the gates or under a bridge

send me a pm so we can chat it up a lil ide like to see where people may be goin

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk.
A couple of things that might help.

TRY AGAIN....nothing good comes easy, ya gotta commit yourself to the cause !

This post might help: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?29432-Aqueduct-lure-teqnique-how-to

AND change your login name to Captain bleedallot ! ha ha ha

Good luck..
Stay on 'em !
Gary

captain skunked again
04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk.
A couple of things that might help.

TRY AGAIN....nothing good comes easy, ya gotta commit yourself to the cause !

This post might help: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?29432-Aqueduct-lure-teqnique-how-to

AND change your login name to Captain bleedallot ! ha ha ha

Good luck..
Stay on 'em !
Gary

wow that was a very extensive post. thanks for that....i mostly used crankbaits last week so im gunna try that on friday and i think i might try and get some swimbaits but im not sure yet

LuvThymetal
04-17-2010, 05:04 AM
I kinda don't get some of your pictures!