PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam at the Vine 4-9

MAVERICK27
04-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Well, its funny how things work out sometimes...I had plans to fish with a Pro today, but he had something come up. So, I was invited to board my new FNN friend's boat. Matt (Silkgato) was gracious enough to take me out on his Tracker. Out of all the people and countless days I have taken other people out on MY boat, this is one of only a couple of times that I was able to board somebody else's. It was a nice change to just show up and walk on. Thanks Matt! For those of you who have not met him yet, what a great guy!! One of the hardest working fishermen I know and very good company on the water.

The main topic via text messages last night were my thoughts of a Grand Slam. I have been hearing of so many species biting that I was convinced we could do it. I also just got a new baitcaster that I wanted to break in on a bass. We hit the water first thing and worked the various docks for Crappie. Matt warmed things up with a nice slab. We're on the boards! I had a few short nibbles with no takers. I was also throwing various bass baits with no followers. The New Revo S was performing well :) We made a few moves to keep working structure for Crappie...Matt was determined. We seemed to be chasing the schools, but coming up one step short. after working about ten different baits and three spots by 11 am, we made run for boat dock cove to work the treeline. First couple of casts for me resulted in a decent bass on a white curl tail grub rigged wirth a lead head. The only thing was......it came on my Phenix Elixir on 3lb P-Line Flouro!! I had to finesse the fish in and Matt was quick to the net! What a fun fight!! Mission 1 completed...bass :)

So, there it is...were both on the boards. What a beautiful day!!! By about 1130 am, the temp was in the mid 70's with a light breeze, stained water with about 2 feet of visibility and water temps in the low 60's. Perfect conditions for most fish. Cold enough for trout to bite, yet warm enough for the Bass to come up for the chad and Crappie to get hungry. I still had the Grand Slam on my radar. We agreed for one more spot before we target trout. While working the aux dock, matt hooked up on another slab! This one was much larger. My rod got bumped a couple times, but was probably too small for the jig I had tied on. So as agreed, we decided to get to trolling for our trout.

Matts boat, although an awesome machine, was a little fast for the troll (ok Rooster and TD.....insert your "Mav's 100mph trolling speed" joke here hahahaha), so we had our work cut out for us. We tossed out two rigs with some usual suspects like Daiwa, Rapala Firetiger etc..First action came in the form of some short bites and clickers singing with no joy. I made a call to go off my usual rigs and toss out a crankbait on my Revo with a Boron Phenix from my seat on the bow. After seeing the thousands of chad all over the lake this past week, what a better color than the chad pattern. While headed on a pre-determined flight path in the flats, the Boron 7 footer goes bendo!! This fish fought like a truck and even tried to run deep and pull drag when he got close to the boat. This fish ended up being over 4 lbs and was super broad across the back with a full tail. No wonder it put up such a battle. Another mission accomplished...broke in the Revo S!

Next action came shortly after where my Abu Garcia level wind sent the clicker nutso!!! Matt grabs the rod and realizes that the bait was hooked on a cormorant hahaha. The thing kept diving and trying to get loose. Matt said it was like fighting a fish. I backed the boat down on it until I could help release the bird at the boat. He was fine and wasn't even bleeding.

We ran around a while and found that we actually had two lines twisted badly. I guess we were having too much fun to realize. We changed gears and worked some other spots with a couple misses and about 400 bait changes. So we decided to troll one more time for a "buzzer shot" late in the day. While crossing mid lake, headed to the flats, the Revo sang again. It was a nice aerial display until I tried to bounce it in the net and hit the motor. Poor lil trout was now missing part of his lip, but was free!! No worries. Shortly after, another BENDO on the Revo. This was definitely the hot stick for the day. While Matt was fighting the fish, I could see it was bent way too hard to be a stocker trout. I thought maybe a Largemouth...NOPE, a WIPER!! Finally saw these things bringing action. Matt did a great job working it in and there it was ...........GRAND SLAM a 4 species day!!! All missions accomplished!!

Sorry for the long read, but it was just such a fun day. I thought i'd share it with you. We didn't kill it out there by any means, but we did what we set out to do and I could not have asked for a better day. Here are a couple of pics and maybe Matt will post his as well.

Thanks for reading and i'll see ya on the water!!

I'm not even gonna guess a weight or the bass angers here will eat me alive with inaccuracies :)

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_1986.jpg

Matt at the helm of his fish slaying machine

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_1989.jpg

The chunky fighter

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_1991.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_1990.jpg

The Wiper....YES we released it...:)

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_1992.jpg

silkgato
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
As previously stated, you are the man Mav. I had a great time and learned a lot which is well worth the lack of crappie action. Thanks for the lessons. I am now
on a quest for an attachment for my engine that will slow my trolling speed and doubles to help plane it out if anyone out there has any suggestions.

I look forward to getting out again.

silkgato

Rooster
04-10-2010, 09:44 AM
As i said it was the best move Phenix Rods ever made was bringing you aboard. Going Babe Ruth style at the vine... Im damm proud of ya Chris... Great report and pics.. Props

Troutman65
04-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Nice going out there guys . Nice read .:Cool:

Mondo21
04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow! Way to slay out there Maverick and Silkgato. Nice looking fish. Did the Viper give a very good fight?! Hope to see you out there soon Mav. Thanks for the pics and report. :Big Grin: Cindy

tizzfishin
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I just put a happy troller trolling plate on my 140hp. It made a huge difference. I found a new one on eBay for $75.

MAVERICK27
04-10-2010, 05:45 PM
It was a blast Matt!!

Rob Rooster...thank you for such kind words. You have been a great friend and fishing partner. I will always have alot to learn, but will always pass on what has worked for me. Now get your *** back from vacation so we can fish!!! Hope yuou have fun, you deserve a break!

Patrick...Haven't seen you out there...hope you get on the water soon!!

Thanks Cindy, you are awesome. The wiper are like miniature Stripers. I caught another one today. They fight three times harder than a trout! We'll have to get you on some.

Tizz....yeah the trolling plate is awesome...Matt wants somethng to help plane as well. I think I saw something that doubles as both in the new Bass Pro catalog.

BRING IT
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
awesome job men! mav are you working out? or is that shirt size "sexy size". you know lil smaller 2 show them GUNS off. jk brother lol great post. SCOTT/TEAM BRING IT

diamondbear
04-10-2010, 07:00 PM
GOOD LOOKING FISH Mav. feels good to be a rider once in a while . GOOD JOB . // db

Native Gal
04-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Hey Mav,
Congrats to you Gents on gettin your SLAM on at the Vine. Nice trout and that Wiper is coool!!!, can't wait to hook up with those lil fightin machines.
Thanks for the great read and the pixs.

NG
:Thumbs Up:

Thisfool
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
damn way to get that grand slam. you da man mav you da man

MAVERICK27
04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Haha Thanks Scott...I have actually gained some of my weight back since having the kids. I was in great shape before them. We gotta hit the water together.

Native Gal...gracias!! next time you hit the Vine, let me know.

thanks to all the FNN family....I have been reading so many great posts that I figured i'd put some thought into this one.

Markymark13
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Great report! What a day! You guys had a blast. Grand Slams are always the best. Way to go!

MAVERICK27
04-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Mark! It breaks up the trout boredom at times...

BrandonFish
04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Crappie, Bass, Trout, and a WIPER! Congrats guys! Great report Mav.
I had the honors to fish with Matt on Wednesday i had a great time fishing with you Matt. Cant wait untell next time. Maybe one day the 3 of us can set up a trip to the vine or else where.

MAVERICK27
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah for sure B. Let's plan it ASAP. Time to hit NPH too.

kewlwhip
04-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Nice goin on the Grand Slam Maverick!

Big Daddy
04-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Great job out there mixing it up and again great report.

Big Daddy

Hitts0n
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I cant wait for the wipers start going off! Great report Mavz !

BrandonFish
04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Mav. Im thinking about hitting up nph some time at the end of the week ill pm you its looking like friday or sunday. we might hit up another spot for some night sandbass fishing.

MAVERICK27
04-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Kewly...Just always trying to catch up to you Brother! ;)

Big Daddy....Thank man, big compliment from you. Now if I could just BBQ like you i'd be set!

Hitts...for sure..when they do, i'll grab you and we'll go slay em :)

Brandon....I may hit the Vine Friday with Matt, but i'll confirm. PM me

troutdog
04-13-2010, 11:28 PM
I recall your first day trolling like it was just yesterday....you have come a long way MaV! :LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJ2Iyd0UvU&feature=fvw

Your bass looks like it will go 5-6lbs based on the "Jimmy Getty Scale" :Wink:

Great job on the slam buddy, sorry we didn't get to fish Saturday...we gotta do that asap!

TD

MAVERICK27
04-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Hahahaha nice!! Yeah its about time I bought a boat that goes under 2 mph haha. I think we need to do another NPH day, we killed it out there last summer!!