PDA

View Full Version : Perris 4-9 super windy

Markymark13
04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
So got to get out to Perris today with a friend of mine and use my float tube for the second time. After much delay we finally made it out and were on the water at 1pm. Yeah i know middle of the day but was better then being couped up in the house right? Just being out on the water is so nice and such a great way to relax. Plus I got to test out my new rod holder I made for my tube which worked really well. Well the weather was nice and clear except for a small breeze which we were praying wouldnt pick up.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/Incoggnito/PerrisLake4-9-10005-1.jpg

We both started out drop shotting plastics, I was using a 6inch aarons magic and my buddy was throwing a custom poured creature like one. We were fishing east side of lake around the reed line and out to the deeper part of the water. Fished for a good hour or so working some good area for nothing. My buddy said he got one good bite but couldnt get a good enough one for a hook set.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/Incoggnito/PerrisLake4-9-10003.jpg

We then decided to back into the reeds to we would not have to worry about drifting as the wind was slowly increasing and we wanted to eat some snacks and pull out the redworms on the light tackle. After kicking back for a few, we strung up our rods and casted out.

We both split shotted the red worms and would kick out from the reeds to about 35 feet from them cast way out then drift back into the reeds and slowly jig it back in. After about an hour of nothing the wind started roaring. We were still determined not to have the skunk upon us so we kept fishing.

Another hour of constant kicking and such to battle the wind and current. I kicked way out and casted and as it was slowly dropping to the bottom i see the line start peeling away pretty fast. I closed the bail and felt the tug and set the hook.

The fight was on!! Line was peeling and I was so happy thinking this could be a huge crappie. I fight and fight and start feeling the head shake of a bass then then....JUMP.... out about 10 feet from me I see the bass jump out the water. I finally get him in. Still stoked I caught a fish. I ripped out my camera and had my buddy take a shot so I could release as fast as possible.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/Incoggnito/PerrisLake4-9-10006.jpg

Now that the wind had turned into white caps and was pretty brutal we decided to call it and began our journey of hard kicking back to the shore. Hope you enjoyed the report. Look forward to getting out there again. and Im always looking for fishing buddies! Tight lines everyone.

MIKE Q
04-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Cool post Markymark.:Big Grin: I have to get out there with my float tube soon, looks fun.

largemouthlad
04-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Nice fish. I see that there are some reeds behind you. Is the water level going up a little ?

Newfishsmell
04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Good report Markymark13 , nice job beating the skunk .

HuskerRod
04-10-2010, 09:40 AM
MarkyMark,

Man, when that winds picks up fishing gets brutal in a tube

Natural Lefty
04-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Markymark, it was windy out there, I know. It must have been hard to control a float tube. I am glad you caught something.

I went panfishing on the marina docks for the fourth week in a row, and a couple of times, the docks were rocking so much that people almost fell into the water.

People were catching lots of small Bluegills, plus a few larger ones, and a few Redear. The highlight had to be when a 3 year old girl pulled in a good size Redear on her Barbie pole. Every week, I have caught more fish than the week before, despite the weather. This week, it was 16 fish total -- 13 small Bluegills, a Trout, a Crappie, and a Redear. I let all the Bluegills go since they were small, and kept the other fish today's lunch for wife and myself). Other people were keeping the small Bluegills, though, except for the tiny 3 inchers. I also saw another guy with an obviously undersized Bass he had kept. Another guy traded a good size Redear for a small Bluegill to use as bait. That place needs to get a Ranger to check the action pronto!

Mine were the only Trout and Crappie I saw caught, but there was a guy who was bragging about the supposed 4 pound Crappie he had caught there the day before. I am sure it was big, but not that big.

Another interesting thing was around 6:30, three young men came and put out two car headlights they had rigged up to a battery. Before long, they started catching Bluegills and a Redear of two, and the fish stopped biting elsewhere. Those things really work! All the fish migrated over to their lights. I was there from about 3 o'clock to 7:45.

All I saw anyone catch fish on were worms or waxworms. Several people tried jigs including myself, but nothing bit them.

I am on spring break this upcoming week, but am on call for jury duty -- arrgh! I am not sure if my wife and I will have a chance to go on our planned vacation. Hopefully, we can get out of the house and have a report from somewhere else for a change.

Markymark13
04-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Natural Lefty, seems like perris has been treating you good! Ive been wanting to come try out the docks. even the small fish are fun to catch. The little kids catching fish on the kiddy poles are always so sweet to see. I LOVE watching kids catch fish and getting stoked on the sport cause the more they catch the more likely theyre going to stay fishing. Ill be out there again this next week hopefully catching more then one fish. Im new to the drop shot and such so i always think Im not working it right. Pract practice practice right? Hopefully no jury duty for you this week and good luck!

fishmounter
04-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Markymark13, Hopefully I'll be out there in my tube this spring and summer for the Bluegill bite with the flyrod and 2 lb ultralite outfit. Be fun to fish together. It's just so much fun catching those big 'Gills.

Fresh H2O Bill
04-12-2010, 08:17 AM
MarkyMark,

Thanks for the detailed report. A great read. Way to hang in there and tough it out. The wind can get down right ugly at times at Perris. Way to beat the "stripe".

Bill

Markymark13
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Lets do it! Sounds like a blast. 'Gills fight so hard for their size which makes them so fun. I'd love to get out there with someone who knows the lake a bit. Let me know.

smokinflies
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Nice job catching at Lake Perris.

I was out there on Saturday with my bro-n-law and all we caught was a buzzz.

Natural Lefty
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Yes, it was fun even though the fish were mostly small. I spent a lot of time watching the kids fish while I was fishing. The girl's name was Brianna, and her brother's name was DeLonte, I think. They were fishing with a woman who takes them there a lot, but I don't think she is their mother.

Anyway, I talked to DeLonte quite a bit, since he was older. He asked me how many I had caught, and I told him "I think it's 14." He said, in that case, he had also caught 14. :Wink: He was doing really well for a little kid, although I think it was more like 10 fish he caught. His sister caught several on her little pink Barbie Pole, too. It was a good antidote for my sorrow, since my wife and I had tried to save an abandoned little kitten, with special kitten milk and feeder, etc., but it died earlier that day. :Crying:

So far, they haven't asked me to go to jury duty. I am supposed to call this evening to check again, though.