PDA

View Full Version : Sand Crabs

Howling Mad Murdock
04-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I am from the San Fran area and wanted to know hwo hard is it to get sand crabs down near the LB area. I have read the boards for a long while, and it appears to be somewhat difficult? Up north they are EVERYWHERE, so I was wondering if it is easier to bring them with me down there?

bowler
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
It is sometimes hard to find sand crabs around here but one you do you find a lot of them. Head to seal beach pier to find sand crabs.

smokehound
04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
The reason you seldom find sandcrabs around seal beach is because its extremely sheltered, has very weak waves, and usually has a terrible current. Sand crabs cant reproduce here very well because their eggs dont get enough oxygen.

The adults can survive, and you DO find them from time to time, but the eggs seldom do.

From sunset, and further south, they are far more abundant.

I have yet to fish the surf this year, so I'm unsure whether or not the sandcrabs have arrived yet..

I did find some in december though, due to our little godsend elnino event. So perhaps they are already out and about.

DockRat
04-09-2010, 04:41 AM
In the winter they can be tough sometimes. If you go next to the pier pilings or rocks they can be found.
In Redondo I get them under the pier in dead winter next to the pilings.
DR