PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Throwing Mechs to Youngsters?

City Dad
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
City Girl is playing on her first Bball team this spring and I have volunteered to help coach.

Some of the kids need help with throwing - they tend to try and shot put the ball. I've tried the standard "turn you body, reach way back behind you," tactics that I remember... but with limited success.

I'm wondering if there are any other newer/more effective way to instruct proper arm movement to 8-year-olds?

Hear of any good instructional books/DVDs for coaches?

As always, any advice GREATLY APPRECIATED.

sansou
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey Tim,

My daughter's (as you know, same age) been playing softball for the last 3 seasons. I don't know what your kid's league is like, but every year our league has free coaching seminars from the girls at SDSU, for pitchers, catchers, and "fundamentals". I would surprised if your league or city teams don't have the same kind of thing. Sometimes the clinics are at the college campuses themselves. It's worth asking around your league if they organize (or could) something along those lines.

fullstringer
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Try these books.Ace coaching certification,the softball coaching bible, I got them at barnes and nobles.I have been coaching for a few years now started 12u and we are now 18u with the same group of girls,also have done rec ball for 2yrs both baseball and softball.good luck

Joe

murrieta angler
04-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Have them stand forward, tie their non throwing arms to their sides and have plenty of softballs to throw..Have them try to throw as far as possible, without moving their feet.
It worked for my daughter when she was little. Looked funny, but effective!
Good Luck
Robert

DarkShadow
04-12-2010, 07:47 PM
CD,

I remember a few drills that would isolate throwing motions and force kids not to use bad mechanics.

Throwing, much like hitting in baseball, comes from the hips. For the first drill, we'd get on both knees and play catch, about 15 feet away. In this position, it will be impossible to 'shot put' the baseball and will key in on the kids using a 'twisting' motion to get the ball propelled forward.

In the second drill, you'd place your right knee on the floor, and your left leg would be in a 90 degree angle. Once again, focus on the kids using their hips to throw the ball. In the third, it'd be the opposite. Left knee on the floor, and right leg would be in a 90 degree angle.

There are a few DVDs i'd recommend, but after watching them, they're more for advanced players. Good luck out there. Being a volunteer coach is something very commendable.

WARRIORMIKE
04-12-2010, 09:30 PM
tennis balls help with throwing. Have the kids line up on 3rd base line. Hand each kid a tennis ball. have them take a step with there throwing leg first, then make sure the foot is at an angle facing out wards. Then have them finsh the move with taking there glove hand and throwing the ball. Make sure if its softball that three fingers are on the ball. Also have them feel there shoulders either down or up. meaning that if there shoulders are down they will get the distance and lob the ball. If the shoulder is to high the ball will hit the ground. So after everything is positioned have them throw the tennis ball to the fence. remember ball is up, throwing arm is up, and let it launch. have them do this as many time needed. I have two buckets of tennis balls. After they throw all these ball, the field looks like a tennis range.

Be Repetitive, don't expect the girls to have it over night, especially if this is there first year. Also if you have a practice and all they do is play catch, then do it.

City Dad
04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Will try out some ideas tonight.