PDA

View Full Version : Finally caught my first Duct Striper.

Marine_Michael
04-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I got a text from Yolo yesterday saying he was leaving work early and going to take the long way home, head up the 5 Fwy and hit the far west side of the AV duct. Plans were quickly made to meet up with him.

I left a little earlier than I'd expected to be able to so I decided to stop over at 3 points and send a chicken liver under the siphon. In less than 5 min my rod tip is bouncing and I set the hook. There was a moderate amount of flow to work against and he didn't want to come up. I thought I might have problems since I was fishing with my new rod/reel and only had 6 lb Floroclear on it. To my surprise once it comes up to see color, its white. I'd never seen a white (albino) catfish before. Onto the stringer it went and I tried for another. A few min later I got a text from Yolo saying he was at 280th but nothing was biting and they (Tripod decided to give the duct a try) were getting ready to hit the gate at 245th.

I ended up getting to 245th first and started tossing lures. At one point I had a follower, but I just couldn't get it to commit. The others got there and we tried that spot for another 20-30 min with no luck. I think Tripod had a nibbler. Then the debate was had of where to try next.

We ended up deciding to go to Bako and try our luck there. After only a little bit of time at our spot once there we're starting to get bit. Maybe 5-10 min later Tripod hooks and lands a keeper. After that Yolo tells me this time we're not going home till I catch a striper.

Around 45 min later after making a lure change to the new color fluke I got at BPS the other day, I finally got a bite and made it stick. I think it might have even been on the first cast with that new lure and it never even hit the bottom. The fish took it on the fall. I set the hook good and started to play the fish. As the drag starts to sing Yolo is asking me what pond test line I'm using. When I tell him it's only 8 lb test he tells me I'm nuts. I got it in and on a stringer a nice fattie. And then went back to trying to get another.

No pics at the moment. I didn't think to get on when I caught it and by the time I did it was too dark to get one with my cell phone. Yolo got a few pics at the end of the night he can post up later. BTW the fish measured out at a little over 24 1/2" and an unknown weight. I still don't have a digi scale and Yolo couldn't find his. I'd guesstimate between 6-7 lbs. It's no DD but I'll take it.

I'll be sure to get a pic or two pre cleaning.

Measurement.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/04-07-10_1008.jpg

The any bigger and it wouldn't fit in the sink shot.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/04-07-10_1040.jpg

It took me a little over 9 months to get my first duct striper and I'd like to dedicate this fish to another fishing buddy, BassnmanMike who has also been on the hunt for duct stripers. This fish is for you buddy.

trail blazer
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
WTG GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you get your duct striper,,,,,STRIPER KILLERS,,,,,OOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

fishinone
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Congratulation on your first duct striper.

That Golden Cat is interesting.

yolo
04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Here's the pic I took. Way to go on the first duct striper! I got the big skunk.

Mojave River Angler
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I'll return to that hunt some time this year. I'v made 5 different shot at those crazy stripers...twice at castaic...all day...with no love at all. My lotto number has to come up sooner or later.

WTG man.

Mojave River Angler