PDA

View Full Version : Everyone told me so

Browntrouter
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm looking for someone local that works on Quantum spinning reels. Should have bought the Stradic.

Nessie Hunter
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Whats wrong with it??? did it freeze up??

Browntrouter
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
anti reverse is out

DarkShadow
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm looking for someone local that works on Quantum spinning reels. Should have bought the Stradic.

Did you buy it new? How long did you have it before it Quantum'ed up on you?

If you have the box and paperwork, maybe Quantum will honor some type of warrany and fix it up for you.

Or, you can go to the store where you bought it and exchange the thing for something else.

Agro
04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Might help if you defined where "local" is...

Nessie Hunter
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Flip the switch back to "one way" !!!!!!!!

sansou
04-07-2010, 03:42 PM
It used to be on a lot of the old reels, regardless of make, that it was a failed spring that caused anti-reverse to no longer work. I know that's the case for Mitchells. Been a little while since I have cracked open a spinning reel to actually fix something as opposed to just do a cursory carb spray-n-lube/oil.

Could be a simple and cheap fix if you can get a hold of the schematics and order the part.

Best of luck. I think quantum trout size reels are great.

bones
04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Kinda depends on how expensive the reel was in the first place. The anti reverse mechanism in spinning reels is a simple device. If the mechanism is broken and it's a cheaper reel.......I'd toss it away. But first I would just flush the reel out with brake cleaner (use the whole can) and then follow up with a good drenching of wd40.Most reel techs use laquer thinner but I like the power of spray. It blasts the crud out of the tiny places and evaporates completely.Just keep flipping the switch back and forth and rotate the reel in both directions. I've had anti-reverse mechanisms get jammed on shimano reels due to saltwater deposits and the cleaning freed it back up.Most tackle shops have a reel guy but they charge around 25 bucks to go over your reel. I actually started servicing my own reels just because I always need it in a "Hurry" and most reel tech guys are backlogged with work. It's actually fun to do as long as you have a little patience and a small tool kit.If you are half blind like me then some magnifying/reading glasses help alot.....LOL
I bought a mini tool kit at harbor freight for seven bucks and take mine apart myself now.If you are willing to give it a go then you might as well take the sideplate off as well and give it a good cleaning. Just make sure you have the proper gear grease and reel lube to do the job correctly. Remember....oil on the bearings and a small amount of grease on the gears is all that is needed. If your drag is smooth........leave it alone or.......buy some drag grease and do the whole job......Have fun with it!

SoCalSteve
04-07-2010, 05:24 PM
it quantum'ed up on you?

lmfao!!!!!!!!

calico killer kevin
04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Sav-On tackle is $15.
Make sure the switch is in the correct position.
Throw it away.

Browntrouter
04-08-2010, 09:49 AM
The reel is a Energy PTI ( not cheap). Of course I've moved the switch back and forth. I did find a repair shop that does factory service on Quantums in the I.E.. Very helpful over the phone. I believe it's B&F Rod and Reel. I UPS'ed it on Wednesday and will have it back on Monday. Thanks for the sugestions