PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this.

old pudd fisher
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
My wife and I are both retired and were thinking about buying some tubes for us so we can get out on the water and fish while getting some exercise at the same time. We are no spring chickens but not that old yet. Me 60 and her 59. Never tubed before or should we just buy a small boat ... Thanks from the old pudd fisher.:Smile:

stphnman20
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I think its a great idea.. You can pace yourself whenever you want, spend time with each other and best of all, go fishing!!

fisherman from long beach
04-06-2010, 06:55 PM
get both.launching a boat and going fishing and then loading it back up,washing it is no easy task.especially after a long day on the water.float tube is easy to launch and clean,but kicking around the lake or what ever.is a nice lil workout.just my 2cents

GeordyBass
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
It depends really, I personally prefer boating because it's easier to get to the spot you want when you want... Trailering isn't all that hard especially if you have a small skiff. A tube is nice because you can get into the smalll areas and stuff, but they are a pain to inflate, deflate, you cant get to any spots real far away... and when you get into wind its kinda crazy.

MIKE Q
04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
It depends really, I personally prefer boating because it's easier to get to the spot you want when you want... Trailering isn't all that hard especially if you have a small skiff. A tube is nice because you can get into the smalll areas and stuff, but they are a pain to inflate, deflate, you cant get to any spots real far away... and when you get into wind its kinda crazy. I agree with Geordy. I have a Fish Cat 4 tube, but when the wind kicks up it's really difficult to get around. I recommend you and the wife get a little Bass Hunter. Approximate cost $700 and you can cover more ground in less time.

Nessie Hunter
04-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Old dude!!!

Im 65 and absolutely LOVE my tube, best investment I ever made...
Alone or in a group, a few hrs or a full day..
Exorcise and relaxation at its best, with a fish here and there as an excuse...

I myself wont have another boat, just a money pit.. Ive had 3, no more......!!!!!!!

bones
04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro's and cons of a tube vs a boat.........

I love my tube also but sometimes it's a hassle to launch in some places and if the wind is a real factor........Getting back to your original launch spot can kick your arse for sure. If you are pretty sure that you can cover the water then by all meens get your tubes.
Cost....
Decent tube....... 170.00
waders (breathables) 130.00 neoprenes get very warm in the summer and you can wear long underwear under the breathables.
Fins (hotspots) 75.00
Booties 30.00 don't want holes in the stocking foot of the waders when you are walking around.
Rod holder 25.00

That's already $430 for the basics and I've put a 100.00 fish finder and another side mounted rod system that cost me about 20 bucks to make.

Multiply that times two and you are looking at close to 1000.00 to set yourself up the right way. Personally I love the silent freedom of a tube and you can take it even to the sierras and mountain lakes not to mention harbors like Newport. But it is work so it depends on how good of shape you are in right now.
One thing that Nessie forgot to mention is the MAJOR downside to tubing is that just when you are finally out on the water.........That cup of coffee you drank in the AM is going to make you head for the restroom...LOL
Nessie just wears "Depends".......LOL
JK Frank!
The boat thing is also a good idea if you don't mind towing it all over the place. Just keep in mind that you should get a boat that is at least 14ft because some lakes like castaic or pyramid have a 14ft minimum.

I'm only 48 but I personally would buy the boat (Valco's are good) and get my excersise another way!

old pudd fisher
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I thank you all FNN members for your advise, and think a boat would serve us better. But I have never owned one and it's new to us. I like bones Idea . A 14 ft would be fine becuse it would just be at the pudd and small lakes.

bones
04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
First hit on craigslist LA for a search "14ft valco"

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/boa/1675143418.html

I only suggested a valco because they retain their value and are tough as nails. I'm no boat expert for sure. I do know though that the major cost/value in a boat is the motor.
5hp will cruise you around any lake just fine and 4strokes are allowed at DVL also and are very quite when running.

That is the extent of my boat knowledge.

old pudd fisher
04-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks Bones thats all we need to have fun and looks like low maint. also.

Alexi
04-08-2010, 07:58 PM
small alluminum fishing boat...12-14ft is all you need. tubing is great, believe me. but before you know it, the $$$ you spend all together for your tube, could maybe get you a good used alluminum boat. your not going out there to to hit 100mph or cruise around the harbors, you are out there just to have fun!! if your wife wants to just relax and enjoy the water and sun, with a boat, she could! plus with a boat you have ALOT more room for yourself as well as your wife. no problem packing some lunches and extra things with you guys.

a friend of mine picked up a 14ft. alluminum boat and trailer for $1,400.00 last month. practically brand new. unfortunately with the economy the way it is, people are having to get rid of their "toys", and if you have just a little $$, you can get a great discount on a nice little boat!

old pudd fisher
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks alexi I like that idea.