PDA

View Full Version : Lakes not being stocked

MAN VS WILD
04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
was reading online that because of this lawsuit and environmental study that as of now Convict Lake, South Lake, Sabrina, Gull, June, Silver, Twin lakes upper and lower and all Mammoth Basin lakes will not be stocked with trout. If this doesn't change it will suck big time!!! Those are my favorite lakes to fish. I hope this situation is resolved by the opener.

retired96
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Keep in mind that some of those lakes will still be covered with ice for the opener, I don't forsee alot of stocking this season due to state budget. Last season DFG drastically reduced stocking in many areas. I watched stocking in the Upper Owens and Rock Creek where only one net of fish was stocked at each point, where in the previous years they would dump 15-20 nets of fish.

Joshua
04-06-2010, 07:22 AM
in 2005 the Assembly Bill 7 was passed. This stated that 33 1/3% of fishing license sales go directly to DFG for hatcheries and fish planting.
The CA budget crisis should no/little impact on fish stocking. There is another Bill that states that DFG must plant a certain # of pounds each year into available waters.
I dont know what is causing the limited stocking but it shouldnt be money. Unless people arent buying a fishing license. What does it cost for Disneyland for one day $70. Knotts is $55 A annual fishing license is around $50 (with enhancements) for a year. Still a bargain if you compare it to other forms of recreation
The lawsuit against DFG has created problems in some areas, but I have seen several bodies of water that have been released from the "DO NOT STOCK" list.

This whole issue seems so petty. Planting fish seems so easy. I forgot it is run by a goverment agency. I wonder how much better it would run it this was run by a private company. Does Tim Alpers have this kind of problem. In defense of the DFG employees, it isnt their fault. They are told what to do.
They raise the fish because the law requires it, then there is a budget issue so they cant afford fuel for the trucks, and then there is a lawsuit that prevents them from stocking the fish. I imagine there should be a nice healthy population of DFG stockers that are pushing 2 lbs. No more 8" fish. They will all be 14-16" fish.

Marley
04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Keep in mind that some of those lakes will still be covered with ice for the opener, I don't forsee alot of stocking this season due to state budget. Last season DFG drastically reduced stocking in many areas. I watched stocking in the Upper Owens and Rock Creek where only one net of fish was stocked at each point, where in the previous years they would dump 15-20 nets of fish.

Those lakes are typically ice-free or maybe holding an isolated patch of ice come opening morning so access by the hatchery is not usually an issue. Budgetary woes are a concern, although I believe largely a copout.

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM

15-20 nets of fish in one point in Rock Creek? That must have been a looooong time ago.

I can say this with absolute certainty, since the mudsnails got into Hot Creek - the overall amount of fish our area hatcheries are able to produce has been decreased - a problem that is likely to never go away because the DFG doesn't have the funding to build more hatcheries and even if they wanted to, the envirornmental wackos would sue them to prevent it.

I believe it will be up to area business interests and local government to either make up for it or push for total privatization of the hatchery system.

retired96
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Actually it was 2007 when I watched them put that many fish in the creek at French Camp. I know for a fact they did not stock Rock Creek for the opener in 2008 or 2009 as I was camped there 4 days before the opener and one of the stocking points is directly accross from my campsite....Sorry but I don't have alot of hope for major stocking this year, but I will still make 10-12 trips this season.

There is no doubt in my mind that those nutjobs bringing these BS lawsuits have never fished in their lives. I read somewhere recently that one of these recent lawsuits was a student project from law students from Stanford University.

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Actually it was 2007 when I watched them put that many fish in the creek at French Camp. I know for a fact they did not stock Rock Creek for the opener in 2008 or 2009 as I was camped there 4 days before the opener and one of the stocking points is directly accross from my campsite....Sorry but I don't have alot of hope for major stocking this year, but I will still make 10-12 trips this season.

There is no doubt in my mind that those nutjobs bringing these BS lawsuits have never fished in their lives. I read somewhere recently that one of these recent lawsuits was a student project from law students from Stanford University.

As I understand it, 2007 was the last year fish from Hot Creek Hatchery went into places like Rock Creek - I sure with I could get 15-20 scoops at Parchers Hole! hahahaha!!!

sierraslam
04-06-2010, 10:11 AM
South lake, Sabrina, Mammoth Lakes, Rockcreek Lake, are never ice free for the Opener. I'm sure Convict will be cleared for stocking in time for April 24th. The thread prior to this one has a link to The Trout Fly in Mammoth explains what's going on with these stupid inspections. It's always something. This is another step to remove all non native species from California lakes and streams. That includes almost every trout in the sierras. Nothing will happen overnight, but step by step, that's the ultimate goal of the said, "Wacko's". Business be damned, Fishermen, public opinion, non of it matters to theses people because they are just plain smarter than the general public. It's going to get worse and worse I'm afraid. As for this year, I think it will be much like last, very hit and miss.

sierraslam
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Just one more thing, please encourage people on catch and release. I think it's more important now then ever before.

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM

As I understand it, 2007 was the last year fish from Hot Creek Hatchery went into places like Rock Creek - I sure with I could get 15-20 scoops at Parchers Hole! hahahaha!!!

retired96
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Curious Smitty as to Parchers Hole, I have never heard of it......

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Curious Smitty as to Parchers Hole, I have never heard of it......

There is a place on the South Fork of the creek where Bishop Creek runs under the road and dumps into a big pool right behind our first cabin. The DFG and Alpers typically stock it there because access is so easy (neither group likes to work too hard to get fish into the water). Anyhow, at some point a long time ago folks started calling it Parchers hole. I think the guy who ran the place two owners prior to us came up with it...or so I've heard.