PDA

View Full Version : Finally broke the Lopez skunk...easter sunday

rusty6
04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Was planning to be at work until 6 on sunday until the word came down from upstairs: everyone needs to leave by 3. Was a little bummber because I needed the extra money but the day turned for the better when a buddy from upstairs with customer service asked if I wanted to hit up Lopez. Jumped on the offer as quick as could hoping to get a little inside info from a local. Got to the lake at 4 and were greeted with heavy overcast skies...already seemed like it was going to be another skunk due to weather. We first hit up the back end of the Whittenberg Arm for nada. Ran into one guy who was picking a few here and there on 3" grubs. Another guy was slaying HUGE bluegill on redworms. Then we decided to move to the small cove just north of the bridge. Neither of us were getting bit still and I was getting a bit ancy so I decided to tie on the one lure that has never worked for me ANYWHERE...my metallic sardine flash minnow. I mostly just wanted a little practice casting. 3rd cast I got slammed, and pulled up my first lopez bass...maybe about two pounds, nothing special. Then my buddy hooks and loses a solid 5-6 pounder drop shotting a 7" BISP robo. After that it began to dump on us, which is a bummer since we had finally found an area with active fish. Will definitely be back on saturday.

Swank909
04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Haha well when nothing works, trying something new usually will! Glad you broke the skunk and the persistance paid off! Good luck out there on Saturday.

BBfish
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Very gratifying huh.... Were the fish you caught past the bridge or before it??? That is where I've been tubin'... and will be back on Friday

BB

Markymark13
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey, look at the upside! You broke your skunk there, caught a fish on a lure that hadnt worked for you before. Plus you got out of the office and were able to get your line wet and have some fun!! Sounds like a great trip!

rusty6
04-06-2010, 07:29 AM
BBfish, i go it in the finger just before the bridge

Fishthewhaler
04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
thanks for the lopez reports. i will be camping there 3 days the first weekend in may. Crappie and redear will be my target species, but i will put in a day for the bass.

chuxder
04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Was planning to be at work until 6 on sunday until the word came down from upstairs: everyone needs to leave by 3. Was a little bummber because I needed the extra money but the day turned for the better when a buddy from upstairs with customer service asked if I wanted to hit up Lopez. Jumped on the offer as quick as could hoping to get a little inside info from a local. Got to the lake at 4 and were greeted with heavy overcast skies...already seemed like it was going to be another skunk due to weather. We first hit up the back end of the Whittenberg Arm for nada. Ran into one guy who was picking a few here and there on 3" grubs. Another guy was slaying HUGE bluegill on redworms. Then we decided to move to the small cove just north of the bridge. Neither of us were getting bit still and I was getting a bit ancy so I decided to tie on the one lure that has never worked for me ANYWHERE...my metallic sardine flash minnow. I mostly just wanted a little practice casting. 3rd cast I got slammed, and pulled up my first lopez bass...maybe about two pounds, nothing special. Then my buddy hooks and loses a solid 5-6 pounder drop shotting a 7" BISP robo. After that it began to dump on us, which is a bummer since we had finally found an area with active fish. Will definitely be back on saturday.

Do they inspect your bout before you can take it in? and If so, are there any special criteria's someone should know about before they go?

Thanks.

Fishthewhaler
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
they will hot steam your hull, bilge, etc before entering. I think they are charging like 10 or 15 dollars for this now. i was there 2 years ago and they did the same. Hot high pressure blast!

BBfish
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Fishthewhaler... I believe there is a trout derby there that weekend... Usually lots of traffic on the lake.

Good Luck

BB

Fishthewhaler
04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Fishthewhaler... I believe there is a trout derby there that weekend... Usually lots of traffic on the lake.

Good Luck

BB

it is cancelled this year because there is no stocking there anymore. this is what the office said. they still" might have some type of fishing derby". i expect a zoo reguardless, but we'll see. thanks for the heads up

BBfish
04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Thats kinda funny... they have a sign up at the entrance for the derby and they have the money for a special stocking of Calaveras Trout... I think they need DFG's approval for a special stocking but they were approved last year. We'll see

If they don't it'll only be busy instead of really busy... and then I won't have to take a day off the next week to catch any left over trout.

BB

chuxder
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
they will hot steam your hull, bilge, etc before entering. I think they are charging like 10 or 15 dollars for this now. i was there 2 years ago and they did the same. Hot high pressure blast!

Thanks a lot.

Fishthewhaler
04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Thats kinda funny... they have a sign up at the entrance for the derby and they have the money for a special stocking of Calaveras Trout... I think they need DFG's approval for a special stocking but they were approved last year. We'll see

If they don't it'll only be busy instead of really busy... and then I won't have to take a day off the next week to catch any left over trout.

BB

SOunds like maybe it is going on...either way, those trout fisherman will leave all of those spawning crappie and redear for me and the crew!!! plus that weekend is the next full moon, it's on!

Fishthewhaler
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
this is from their website as of 4/7/2010

8th Annual Reel 'Em In Trout Derby - CANCELLED
Lopez Lake Recreation Area
Sponsor: Friends of Lopez Lake (SLOPOST) & SLO County Parks
Info: (805) 788-2381 - Registration Form

BBfish
04-09-2010, 01:30 AM
I bet they didn't receive the special private stockers form from the DFG. oh well... I am going to Big Bear next weekend for some trout anyway... That'll have to do.

BB