PDA

View Full Version : The Toilet And Nph

BrandonFish
04-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Dan(Swank) and I set up a trip to the “Toilet” . I got there at 9 am just to brake my rust on the salt. hooked into a halibut on my first cast using a drop shot blue smoke basstrix with 6lb mono. After that it was slow.
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/Unnamed.jpg
First halibut since last summer.

Dan shows up but the fishing wasn’t the best today. We were going to give it a little bit then try for a shot at Dan’s first spotty and my first spotty at Nph. Dan had missed a few hits at the toilet couple weren’t hooked well and shook the hook. 20 minutes before we were going to head out I get nailed using a drop shot set up with a basstrix Blue smoke with 8lb mono . I have to tell you ive forgotten how the halibut fight (Big or Small) I remember now why I always came out to the salt and jigged the plastics. Anyways he wasn’t legal but super fun to fight legal or not I still release them its how we can go to our spots over and over again and catch new and old halibut/bass that we have caught before. Anyways good fighter.
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/photo.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/photo-1.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/photo-2.jpg

After that we Headed down to Nph hit up Danas wharf for some tackle while we were in there I was thinking in my head damn we must be in water its moving in here. Then Dan asks what I was thinking Haha “Is the shop on a dock” something like that. The cashier that didn’t know what a wide gap hook is…. Looked like he was going to sh*t his pants and said no, no its not. Then the lights start to flicker. But Mat and I are making the best out of this and deciding on what hooks we should get hahahaha. Anyways got down to Nph Dan caught the first one after loosing a few Drag peelers! dan must have not like my fishy hands haha.. he let his lady take the pic
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6498/photo3crop.jpg
Congrats on your first Spotted Bay Bass Dan!!!

.\/. While I keep missing every bite I seem to be getting. It happens. My spinning reel had a longer hook on it so I used that for the rest of the day I still kept missing hits. Blah blah blah lets just blame it on the small hook =D. We went for awhile without getting hits trying other spots here and there I got nailed pretty good this time I really let him eat it set the hook he stuck! He tried diving for the piling I caught him from, shaking his head up and down right to left and taking drag at the same time. he showed some color then he took 1 more dive and it was over from there he was tired out.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfi
My first Nph spottie!

called it a night after trying a couple other spots.
Special thanks to Klocked and Jaysuuun! Thanks for giving us Great advice and putting us on the fish!

lalo56
04-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Gj out there. Im sure as you go there more you will have it dialed in. Thanks for sharing.

DockRat
04-05-2010, 04:55 AM
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/photo-4.jpg
My first Nph spottie!

WTG on the NPH spottie. This is a great pic above.
DR

fisherman from long beach
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
congrats on the first nph spottie.you need to get you some waders and a float tube.and i know where your toilet is my dad used to go there with a lil sabiki rig an catch anchovies for the beach fish.good job brandon,keep up the post and pics.

Swank909
04-05-2010, 04:23 PM
congrats on the first nph spottie.you need to get you some waders and a float tube.and i know where your toilet is my dad used to go there with a lil sabiki rig an catch anchovies for the beach fish.good job brandon,keep up the post and pics.

Haha yea, i do see some waders and a float tube in the near future.

We werent planning on getting wet at first but my gf managed to get stuck on a rail like 5 feet into the water so i waded in. Found the water to be kinda warm so we decided to just go for it and walk around the harbor at high tide lol.

Swank909
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Brandon, use this instead lol (delete the other)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6498/photo3crop.jpg

lalo56
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
When warm you dont need waders, just go in with shorts and your good! At least thats what i did.

The only thing i was worried about was my camera around my neck. If i fell due to a wave i would have hated it.

Swank909
04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Haha yea i forgot i had my iphone in my pocket when i started to go in deep till Brandon reminded me.
I gotta invest in a waterproof container and a lip gripper now, I'm enjoying the harbor/ surf fishing so its time to invest in some gear.

flyngby
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Dan(Swank) and I set up a trip to the “Toilet” on Pacific Coast highway. I got there at 9 am just to brake my rust on the salt.

Anyways he wasn’t legal but super fun to fight legal or not I still release them its how we can go to our spots over and over again and catch new and old halibut/bass that we have caught before.

Special thanks to Klocked and Jaysuuun! Thanks for giving us Great advice and putting us on the fish!

Thanks for the post!!!!!!!

Don't have to worry about me poaching the Toilet! Just sounds nasty!:EyePop:

That is a great statement about releasing them even if they are legal or not! They only get bigger and are available in the future!

Am sure that is why my good friends shared the intel with you as they knew you would respect it!!

See you out there!

Jaysuuun
04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I never knew you could catch spotties and butts at the "Toilet", but then again you can catch them at NPH. :LOL: Nice report and congrats on your first NPH spottie. All you guys need now is some waders. :Cool:

klocked
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
LOL, when you said toilet, I thought you were talking about certain parts of NPH that dont "flush" very well.
Nice going on the butt from the toilet and the Spotties from NPH!

Swank909
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I never knew you could catch spotties and butts at the "Toilet", but then again you can catch them at NPH. :LOL: Nice report and congrats on your first NPH spottie. All you guys need now is some waders. :Cool:

The waders I saw at BPS today were pretty pricey (200$). With summer coming up on us I might just get the tube and wait on the waders till winter lol

BrandonFish
04-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Gj out there. Im sure as you go there more you will have it dialed in. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks lalo in time we will have nph dialed in trying differnt baits and differnt methods of jigging

Thanks fflB. The toilet is crazy takes a while to find the holes at that place and the way they want the jig and its hard to jig there ALOT of current but i have that place pretty much dialed in.

Haha yea, i do see some waders and a float tube in the near future.

We werent planning on getting wet at first but my gf managed to get stuck on a rail like 5 feet into the water so i waded in. Found the water to be kinda warm so we decided to just go for it and walk around the harbor at high tide lol.
HEY i couldnt let you have all the fun =D

When warm you dont need waders, just go in with shorts and your good! At least thats what i did.

The only thing i was worried about was my camera around my neck. If i fell due to a wave i would have hated it.
the water was pretty warm it felt pretty nice when we were in it we didnt wanna get out of it
Thats why i dont want to take my cam i dont want to fall and ruin my cam =(

Haha yea i forgot i had my iphone in my pocket when i started to go in deep till Brandon reminded me.
I gotta invest in a waterproof container and a lip gripper now, I'm enjoying the harbor/ surf fishing so its time to invest in some gear.
same thing i needa do just put 2 condoms over your phone and it will be fine ^.^

Thanks for the post!!!!!!!

Don't have to worry about me poaching the Toilet! Just sounds nasty!:EyePop:

That is a great statement about releasing them even if they are legal or not! They only get bigger and are available in the future!

Am sure that is why my good friends shared the intel with you as they knew you would respect it!!

See you out there!
Toilet is about the best name i can come up with for the spot i can see how it would sound nasty lol
hopefully we will see eachother out there one day!

youd be surprized on how many types of fish are pulled out of there even i see new and here of new species of fish being pulled out of there every summer
when i can find my self some waders that is what i will be getting
Thanks for the Help.

LOL, when you said toilet, I thought you were talking about certain parts of NPH that dont "flush" very well.
Nice going on the butt from the toilet and the Spotties from NPH!

Toilet, what a great name lol
Thanks again klocked! you put us on the fish and thats much respect you have from me

The waders I saw at BPS today were pretty pricey (200$). With summer coming up on us I might just get the tube and wait on the waders till winter lol

I think ill be doing the same im getting a tube in a few days and the water wasnt to cold so this summer we should be fine hopefully! unless i can find a pair of waders that are not to much

DEADROOTS
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Congrats on your first Spottie

Hitts0n
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
congrats on your first spottie !