PDA

View Full Version : Slow in all creeks.

chas83
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Just finished trying all of the early opener creeks this last week and was very disappointed in the DFG's efforts during the early opener. I've been fishing the early opener creeks for many years now (except for last year) and this was the worst action by far.
This is what the following creeks produced amongst 5 fisherman each fishing about 6 hours in each creek:
Cottonwood planted last week produced only 3 fish.
Tuttle Creek planted last week produced 3 fish.
Lone Pine Creek planted 3 weeks ago produced 3 fish.
Symmes Creek I searched for it with GPS and maps in hand but found only a small line of brush that would be almost impossible to plant or fish in.
Shepherds Creek I found it but it was also way to small and after finding a rotted out dead cow laying at the edge of creek I wouldn't want to eat anything caught out of that creek either.
Lone Pine Sandtrap produced 0 fish their was about 30 other fisherman shoulder to shoulder on the sandtrap for about 2 to 3 hours with not 1 fish caught by anyone!
The small sandtrap that is about 5 miles north of Lone Pine is now unaccessable due to the road construction.
The Owens River was unfishable due to the Water Dept flushing the river.

So with this experience I guess I will have to agree with others when they say that fishing in the Eastern Sierras is at an all time low.

Joshua
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Sucks that you had limited success out there. However, it makes me feel a little better because I have been dying to get out there for some early season action. Based on your report, there wasnt much action to be had.
You would think the would plant heavy for the Easter weekend. Maybe they are going to plant triple for the general opener.

chas83
04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I thought they would have planted heavy that weekend too. They totally skipped out on Inyo County. I too hope they pick it up during the general season opener and through-out the entire season.

STEVE IN SOCAL
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
The locals tell me they won't stock if the water temps aren't safe for the trout. I've talked to the guy in the stocking truck and he's confirmed this. They always take a temp reading of questionable creeks before planting. In the late summer they stop planting the sand traps because they're too warm.

chas83
04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The water temperature might be the problem but I talked to a park host at Independence Creek on Saturday and she told me the truck was up there last week but instead of throwing in numerous nets of fish along the entire creek they only threw in one net of about 20 fish and left! She said 20 fish for 100 anglers don't last too long. If this is what they are doing at Independence it's probably the same story for the other creeks. If they are cutting back on planting due to budget issues and the truck's fuel costs are one of the main costs why wouldn't they dump as much as they can while they are up there? That seems like a total waste to drive all the way up the mountain to throw in 1 net full of fish.

STEVE IN SOCAL
04-06-2010, 04:36 PM
We've had a second home in Independence since '07. I've never seen copious amounts of fish planted around there. The heaviest planting is during the Fathers Day Derby and around July 4th. During those periods, the fishing is always better around Bishop and points north, anyway. Having a place in Independence, we still like PVR for trout the best.
If you're determined to fish before the big opener, try below Tinnemaha reservoir.

Mister Twister
04-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Shepherds Creek I found it but it was also way to small--Did you find the sand trap?There was alot of deris,moss tumble weeds,in it last year.But it's not small.Sounds like you need more exploring for this area.

retired96
04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Shepherds Creek I found it but it was also way to small--Did you find the sand trap?There was alot of deris,moss tumble weeds,in it last year.But it's not small.Sounds like you need more exploring for this area.

Keep in mind you can't fish the Shepherds Creek sand trap until the regular season opener as its EAST of 395. My neighbor got caught fishing it a fw years ago during the early opener and because the idiot doesn't know east from west it cost him 400.00