PDA

View Full Version : Slaying the heck out of the Bass & Crappie @ the "GOON"

jw4Bassing
04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Decided to head to the Castaic Lagoon recently to do a exploratory trip since I haven't fish that pond for over 20+ years and I believe the last time I fish there was like in 1988 or 1989. I had a feeling that some restrictions back then might no longer be in effect and maybe some new ones might have been added and the only way to find out was to ask the lifeguard when I arrived at the lake. Two great news that I received from the lifeguard was that I no longer have to remove my prop from my outboard but it still needs to be tilted up and now I can also fire up my outboard to launch and also drive my boat back onto my trailer when done fishing. That was definitely good news that I wanted to hear because it was never fun trying to glide your boat onto the trailer when the wind was blowing.

Anyways, to the fishing report. I arrived at the lake at 6:45 and was on the water by 7. Turned on my electronics to check the current water temp which was at 58 or so degrees and noticed that water was flowing in from the small spillway. Didn't know how long my trolling motor batteries will last me so I had to plan my fishing locations accordingly which meant one trip up to the northend and back to the southend (Paradise Cove & Riprap) and I'm done.

Since there is not a whole lot of underwater structure in that lake other than for a couple of dropoffs and some small subtle humps, I decided to concentrate and fish some isolated cover that I found both visibly on land and what was metered on my graph that was suitable for fish habitat. I had brought along a couple of outfits rigged for crappie fishing and the rest of my arsenal was for the greenies. As I approached to my first promising fishing locale, I started firing away and started connecting on some nice quality slab crappies. After catching a few crappie, I wanted to catch some bass so off I went a little distance away and started to fish a sunken trash can in about 15' of water. Started to catch a few 2 to 3 pounders from that spot and then continue heading my way back down fishing a spot here and a spot there until I made my way back to the southend to paradise cove.

After it was all said and done, I end up catching 12 Bass and 8 Crappie as well as farming a few of both species. The largest bass caught was approx. 4 pounds and the crappie were up to 2 pounds on the digi. The majority of the bass were caught using small plastics utiliizing both the D/S and Inchi-Wacky technique and the crappie were enticed using crappie jigs.

Here is a photograph of the (2) largest fish of each species:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/jw4bassing/001-1.jpg

Tight Lines.......

JW

wackyrigged
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
your the man!!this makes me wish i had a trolling motor

stphnman20
04-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Nice Job bro...

MIKE Q
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Great job out there "love that place".

LuvThymetal
04-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Cool report and nice job on the fish !

Ray Lopez
04-05-2010, 09:42 AM
congrats on a good slay of both crappie and bass. The lake is on fire right now for both.

RngrAngler18
04-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Sweet report JW and that is great news about the new restrictions

Hitts0n
04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
kill all bass !!