PDA

View Full Version : Native Sun 3/4 day 7/14/07

k3vin_kim
07-14-2007, 07:20 PM
FJ and I went on our weekly excursion. Again out of Berth 55 but this time I brought my Pops with me. His first time on the water ever. He's got a little experience in freshwater stuff but hasn't touched a pole in over 20 years. Anyway, he's seen pictures of some things I've been catching and one that stood out was a barry. His ONE goal in life was to catch a barracuda so today it was my mission to have my old man land his first scooter.

Before we get to the landing I ask Dad if he's hungry... "No I brought Banana's... "
I had to explain to him about banana's and fishing boats and so he left em in the truck.

First of all, the head count was like 85 anglers so I knew it was gonna be pretty uncomfy. We started off in Sculpin Country for about 2 hours until the whole boat had limits on rattlers. Joe and I have this thing about catching Sculpin, if it's not 14 inches or bigger... throw it back. My Dad on the other hand was having the time of his life~!!! Simple... just throw a dropper look on a 6 oz sinker (current was bad in the morning) and wait for a tap... SWING~!!! and swing he did. Joe and I couldn't find a single sculpin 14 inches or more so my dad ended up filling all 3 of our sacks... 15 sculpin.

Then we looked around for another 2 hours with no action. We had lunch and I took a 30 minute nap. Then finally around 2:15PM we find the birds flying around. Even more amazingly, I find an open spot on the stern. I cast my Blue and White yo yo tady about 5 times and on the 5th I'm crankin' in at med/high speed about 25 ft. down. I get hit pretty good and immediately I turn to the port side and call my dad to get over here. He knew I was gonna pass it over to him, but he's never handled a conventional reel b4 so he looked really awkward with it. I couldn't help but laugh while taking pictures of him fighting his first Cuda... In Korean he'd say... "What do I do? What do I do???"

"Just keep it coming in... don't swing, just keep reeling it in..."
And just like that, Dad landed his first Cuda. It wasn't a WFO day, it was just a simple day out on the water and some quality spending time with family and friend.

JapanRon
07-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

Good job on getting the old man out and in the salt! My advice to you young man is to take your dad every chance you get!!

Excellent report, info, and pictures. 85 anglers .... not bad ... there were 5 spaces open ..... somewhere! :lol: :lol:

Never been on a boat THAT crowded but I'll bet there are a good number of anglers that were not at the rail all day long .... for whatever reason. Besides the Native Sun is a pretty nice boat.

thanks,

JapanRon

k3vin_kim
07-14-2007, 07:40 PM
So are we gonna hit the water soon or what? I wanna see the guy who tripled my expected fish count. NEXT WEEKEND~!! OVERNIGHTER~!! SATURDAY FISH SUNDAY~!! CAN ANYONE JOIN THE FUNJUNKSTER AND K3VIN_KIM ON THE GRANDE?

Funjunkie74
07-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Senor Kim is a natural!! I enjoy father-son reports about fishing. Something so nice about it. But I particularly enjoy father-son fishing right next to me. Probably because there is a special trust between the two that shows.

For this trip, Junior Kim was not properly equipped with the "first time on the ocean, hasn't fished in 20 years father". What son hands a 9ft rod with an el cheapo magnifico spinning reel to his dad?!?! Since I had a feeling Junior was going to do something like that, I brought my "over-kill for local fishing" all-metal Penn coffee grinder. Turns out, it worked perfect for Senor Kim and the result...well...complete domination of the sculpins!! You couldn't look away from this man without him looking back at you with that look "ah, Joe or Kevin, can you help me remove this fish??" Over and over and over...
Towards the end of the skull run, even he started getting picky over the size of the skulls!! LOL!! "Too small...I want bigger one!!"

Bottom line, I enjoyed fishing with Senor and look forward to more future trips with him!!

FJ74

p.s. Slick, I think he was asking me about when the next time we're going out...August is good... 8)

k3vin_kim
07-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, he actually bought an annual license and was on the phone with Mom on the way home saying he had an awesome time. Maybe we can ween him off of golf and get him throwing low bridge off the casting rods soon. And if he REALLY get into it, he'll have no problem buying an ACCURATE BOSS or a TORSA... which I'll have to borrow from him frequently. I love parents.

Funjunkie74
07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Do you think he'll adopt??

:P

k3vin_kim
07-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Whaddaya mean el cheapo magnifico?!?!?! Those are the coffee grinders that I learned with~!! They have total sentimental value to me... just... maybe not much monetary value but still~!! Just because my daughters scooby doo zebco push button action looks and works better (with the scooby snack reel handle) doesn't mean that Senor Kim might not like the "something" STORM by ... I don't know, that I bought from Big 5.

k3vin_kim
07-15-2007, 10:47 AM
San Clemente Skunk no. 2. I had a feeling we we're gonna need scooby on our second trip. just to have some fun with.

baloneysandwich
07-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Thats cool to see, I talked my dad and my grandpa to fly in to go out fishing with me at the end of the month. I hope to get them into a fun day of fishing while I still can.

k3vin_kim
07-15-2007, 03:58 PM
yeah masterbaiter, there's nothing more... gratifying. =P