PDA

View Full Version : Vail Lake Bassin w/ Art Hill 3-30-10 w/pics

Sierra_Smitty
04-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Well the Del Mar Fred Hall show was last week and while the show is a lot of fun, I was really stoked for my second annual March trip with guide Art Hill.

For those of you that don't know me, I'm primarily a trout guy, but I just got back into bass fishing in the winter of 08/09 and part of that included a trip with Art last March to prepare for a trip to Northern California. Following Arts instruction I proceeded to head north and absolutely OWN northern Cali boating several fish over 5lbs and one that went 8lbs 12oz. I've used Arts tips and techniques a lot over the last year but felt that I was ready for round two of "Bass Class" to prepare for another trip to the north next week....so I scheduled a trip for 3/30. Art guides at both DVL and Vail and left it up to me as to where I wanted to fish. Word has it DVL has been a zoo and with the much cooler and windy forecast, I chose Vail - and I'm VERY glad that I did. Both of my brothers, Evan & Lane, were along for the ride - gotta love good company!

My top goals for the day
- Learn more about fishing texas rigged plastics in heavy cover
- See some jerkbaits in action
- Pick Arts brain about a host of bass techniques
- Catch a few fish

The short version of this report is that I succeeded in all of those endeavors - awesome!

We started the morning off with breakfast at Siggy's - damn fine breakfast and cheap - I love that.

We hit the lake to find brisk conditions with just a light breeze....I could really feel a difference from the morning before..brr. As we would find out, the high for the day would be 15 full degrees cooler than the day prior and the water temp a solid 3 degrees cooler. Not the best conditions but whatever...can't mess with ma' nature.

My big thing for the day was to practice fishing some texas rigs so we started off fishing 6" lizards. I always insist that guides fish along with me on guided trips - I usually learn as much from watching them fish as I do from verbal instruction, fishing with Art is no exception. Not surprisingly Art boated a few fish right away while us boys got busy farming some. We fished around a few points for a while and then moved off to the other side of the lake. It was about this time that the wind started to come up...annoying to say the least.

We worked our way around a few coves and came up on some good cover - flooded trees. Last year Art introduced me to spinnerbaits and for some reason, I had a feeling that a spinnerbait was a good move. My confidence grew when Art told me it was a great idea. A few casts later - BAM - I'm on a good fish. Mama pulled hard but I had her number and my first fish in the boat was the kind of fish I was after - 6lbs 4oz on the digi. BOOOOOYA!!!! Thats the kind of bass I've been dreaming about since last March.

Hooked up...
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/P3300035.jpg

Toad bass
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/P3300038.jpg

Closeup
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/P3300037.jpg

After a few more fish we moved back around to the other side of the cove. Art picked off a few more fish and then Lane hooked up.....BIG FISH....homegirl followed a senko right up to the boat and ate it not 3ft from the boat. After a somewhat short fight, Lane managed to farm a fish that was definitely as big, if not bigger, than the fish I caught. He beat himself up pretty good for farming that fish but Art gave him a few pointers that should help him to land the next toad he hooks in to.

Evan managed to pick up some bass as well, fishing the lizards.

As the day went on the wind increased to the point where it was more obnoxious than I cared to deal with. I made the call to leave early so we could get ahead of traffic.

All in all it was freaking awesome day on the water with my brothers. I managed a toad, we all caught fish under tough conditions and we learned even more about the bass game. I'm hoping that history will repeat itself and getting out with Art will produce similar results up in Northern Cali next week.

I highly recommend Art for anyone interested in an enjoyable day on the water learning more about bass and how to catch them. Dude is hilarious too by the way!

Peace,
Smitty

A few more pics...
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/P3300039.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/P3300041.jpg

LuvThymetal
04-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the report man and great job on the beautiful bass.

Taiko
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
What a beast! sounds like you had a good day with ur brothers. i hope u tear it up in nor cal! gluck

Fishbreath
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Great job on some very nice fish. Now I know all of Art's secret places. Looks like a nice lake to fish.

goseango
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
But we know your secret spot as well Larry.....lol

goseango
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Art- nice job as always.

Palo
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeap, that sounds about right! I've fished with Art and the dude always finds a way to you on some quality fish.

Oh, yeah, it doesn't hurt that he's about as stand up of a guy as they come. Great guy to fish with.

Prowler_Tuber
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Sounds worth the trip

Fishbreath
04-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I can't afford Art's services, so I just tag along behind and try to pick up any stragglers. Seriously, Smitty, that six pounder you caught belongs to a very robust year group of bass at Vail. There are some older six pounders with bigger heads and longer bodies, but the ones like you caught are chunks. I admit that I really don't know enough about it to to be sure, but I am thinking it may be from the 2005 recruitment year. Look at this chart and see if you agree. Larry

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/USGS_11042510_02_00062_32400_200204.png

ART HILL
04-02-2010, 05:08 PM
It is always a blast to fish with the "Parchers Resort" clan. These guys are great fisherman, and they keep the laughter going all day long. It was to bad that Evan dumped the big one at the boat. That fish was an easy 9 or bigger. I have found an area that holds some very decent fish, and the best part is that most people don't fish there.

Thanks again Jared, Evan, and Lane for a great day. Can't wait until we fish again.

Art

www.vaillakeguideservice.com

JohnMarino
04-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice job out there guys! Any signs of the shad popping up anytime soon?

Sierra_Smitty
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
We didn't see much in the way of shad on our trip however Art did mention that the day before he ran into a pretty nice ball of shad bunched up in a cove and they were able to pull some fish off of it.

Hog Caller
04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
You can't go wrong fishing with Art.
He knows his stuff. Great job on the big fish and kill em' up north again. I'm looking forward to your post.

Brent

JohnMarino
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
We didn't see much in the way of shad on our trip however Art did mention that the day before he ran into a pretty nice ball of shad bunched up in a cove and they were able to pull some fish off of it.

Cool, that bite is a blast! When they stack up @ vail they stack up!!! only a matter of time w/ stable weather. we had 150 fish days up there with thick shad balls like that last year.. anything you threw we caught fish. :)

ART HILL
04-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Cool, that bite is a blast! When they stack up @ vail they stack up!!! only a matter of time w/ stable weather. we had 150 fish days up there with thick shad balls like that last year.. anything you threw we caught fish. :)

Hey John,

The shad are not balled up like last year, which is a good thing. The shad are spread throughout the lake now, and it shows with the quality of the bass. No more long bodies, and fat heads. I found crashing fish along a shoreline, and it was wide open on the jerkbaits, and blades. It should be great this coming week.