PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Silver Lake area

See Chris Fish
03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
I have reservations at the Silver Lake Campground for late July-early August. I'm taking my wife, daughter, and niece with me. I can't believe I actually talked her into going "camping". LOL She's not going to let me "just fish" the whole time. I've searched the FNN website and other websites for some more info, but didn't find what I needed.

My wife and the girls "will not" do a backpacking trip, so a deep hike into the wilderness is out.

I find looking on maps that there's a few lakes in the general area of Silver Lake, like Agnew and Gem lakes. I know I can get to June and Gull, but was hoping for a more remote fishing area.

Are these close enough to do a "day hike" to?
Can you fish these?

Thanks in advance for any infor/advice you can give me.

Sierra_Smitty
03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
There are lots of options for day hikes....the most crucial factors to consider are...

1. How much of the day do you want to spend on the trail or out on the trip?
2. How strenuous of a hike are you physically prepared for?

gwjones00
03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Here are some other ideas you might want to consider (after you answer Smitty's questions):

(1) Walker Lake or Parker Lake (past Grant Lake). Couple hours of moderate hiking.
(2) Pack up the car and drive up to Tioga Pass/ Saddlebag Lakes. Take the boat taxi top the other end of the lake and hike all around the 20 Lakes Basin.

Tons of other stuff to do too! Don't forget Bodie!

Flying
04-01-2010, 01:04 AM
I hear Gem and Agnew are a pretty steep and hard hike.

I've done Parker twice with my wife and its not bad. The beginning is the hardest part.I wouldn't go there just to fish. In fact the next time we go we will not bring any fishing gear.We will bring binoculars and just sit down and check out the view up there.Don't bring anything you have to hold in your hand unless its a hiking stick. It will make a big difference.

How old are the girls? And how long is your stay?
Are you sure you want to bring some first time campers on a hike? You might burn then out on the outdoor thing too fast.

The Tioga/Saddlebag/water taxi/hike thing sounds like a good idea too. You get a mix of everything. If anything at least take the drive up Tioga Pass.

troutdog
04-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Pack up the car and drive up to Tioga Pass/ Saddlebag Lakes. Take the boat taxi top the other end of the lake and hike all around the 20 Lakes Basin.

GREAT idea.....

TD

See Chris Fish
04-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Kids are 11. Everyone is in shape. Would like NOT to burn them out this trip. Will be there for 4 days.
I think you're correct and will leave the gear at camp on the hikes.
Walker or Parker sounds like what we were looking for.
I've only been to Silver Lake twice. Once from rental boat and once from shore. Only place I've been in June Loop.
Looking forward to the trip.
Thanks so much for all the advice.

EMarty
04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
A couple other lake that are little less traveled are Yost and Fern. The trail head to these lake is between Silver Lake and Gull Lake, can be easy to miss as the area is very forested. The climb to Fern is a little more difficult then Yost but both provide exceptional view of the June Lake basin. Last time my family visited Yost is was full of little brook trout. Casting a fly and bubble provided a couple hours of non stop fun for me and my girls. Enjoyed our packed lunch and enjoyed the views. Even a small little waterfall along the trail. Go slow and take lot of short breaks, you can get there in just a couple hours.

Walker and Parker are very popular for good reason. Moderate hikes and good scenery, views of Mono Lake. You'll drive past a little pond on the road to Parker, always good for a couple brookie and small rainbows.

Another place my family loves is hiking up Lundy Canyon. Lundy Lake is about a 30 minute drive from Silver Lake. Just follow the dirt road past Lundy Lake to the dead end, park and hike. You'll pass a number of beaver pond (most have fish) and a few small waterfalls. Lot of wild flowers as well.

Sierra_Smitty
04-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I think the 20 Lakes Basin out of Saddlebag Lake is the best fit for your situation....short drive, lots of lakes to hike to, extremely easy hiking, very hungry trout and the kids should enjoy the water taxi ride at Saddlebag.

Walker would be a good bet for a short trip too - I would lean against taking kids to Parker for fishing though, the fish in there are very finicky.

flytyingreloader
04-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Age 11-12 is well-nigh PERFECT for an intro to the Sierra backcountry. I also think the Saddlebag Lake/20 Lakes site is a good fit. My girls were generally OK with the fishing bit, but LOVED the wildflowers and views/overlooks. They got hooked on the Sierras starting about age 10, and now even in their 20s they do at least one camping trip with Dad every year. My grandson (age 6) TOTALLY LOVES the Sierras. There is sublime satisfaction in seeing young people fall in love with the outdoors, and a gentle hand pays big dividends. A leisurely pace, stay hydrated, and don't make them focus on your passion for fishing or climbing or whatever. The Sierras mean different things to different people, and the stark beauty can almost overwhelm a first-timer. Go slow, and let everyone take things in at their own speed. WATCH FOR ALTITUDE SICKNESS.