PDA

View Full Version : BAD FIRST DAY OUT ON MY FIRST BOAT --around dana pnt

islandguy2
03-30-2010, 11:22 PM
What a day, the first time out on my first boat......wow, im used to fishing in hawaii and other places and always catching fish...im new too cali fishing even though ive been living here for 5 years, i did catch a 28 in hali in jan which got me hyped on fishing again, and got me to buy the boat, "TINY" 16ft glaspar, anyway, so yea we got out last thursday i took the day off cuz my brother was here from college in portland for a week, so we got some anchovies and i had a aeroator that now i know , doesnt work, 90 % of the bait was dead in an hour, gotta have a live well or something like it.....it didnt matter to much cuz in 10 min my brother had a hook up , and after a 45 min fight i could see the fish....i tried to grap the line when it was close and the line broke...he was pissed and i told him next fish on is his....so about 20 min later one of the reels starts singing, and my bradda is fighting it hard, we see a 15 ft thresher jump out of the water 15 ft away...we were not prepared for that and after 10 more min the line cut lose...next hook up was a thresher again and the line breaks quik...im strating to feel really amatuerish and know our lines werent setup for those kind of fish, but we wernt there for threshers so we continue on, we ran out of bait and tryed to troll a little, no luck so we got more bait and tryed the same spot as earlier, i got a small mackeral about the size of the bait i had out, and then my brother got bent again on who knows what cuz after another 30 min fight he got the hook back, he let the fish take him to the kelp and that was it....needless to say i learned a lot of lessons my first day fishing off my new boat in cali for the first time.....bait here cant survive with an airator and we need to pull those fish away from the kelp as fast as we can , and just trust the line....i am sooooo anxoius to get back out there and get my revenge, i will be better prepared this time....i cant wait, what a bad day..worst fishing day ever for me, ive never had so many fish on without a fish to show..by the way i dont have many friends as hyped as me to fish...and if theres some guys out there that want to take a trip lets do it pm me ad well see whats up ...i will have some fish on my next post....heres some pics of the flop day. http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/boat.jpgthe TINY http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/dumbait.jpgstupid way to keep bait http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/seals.jpg seals chillin http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/mattbent2.jpg my brother first hook up http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/mattbent1.jpg bradda 2nd hook up, ---the threshers we didnt have time to tak ea pic http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/troll.jpg trolling...i promise i will have fish on a new post soon.....peace braddas

Seņor.Chilax
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Thats fishing. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you dont. You just have to keep at it. And Ill take you up on your word, Ill be PMing you pretty soon. Take care and talk to you soon.

fisherman from long beach
03-31-2010, 10:59 AM
thats a sweet lookin lil boat you got,you'll gettem next time bro.

TUNAVIC
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Hows it? Hey nice pictures and at least you guys got bent! Did you buy that boat in Whittier? Looks like one I saw for sale in my Neighborhood. Look forward to your next report.
Cya Tuna<*))))><Vic

smako
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
you hooked up atleast you will get them next time

islandguy2
03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
no riverside, I got a great deal, couldnt ask for a better boat for me-------------------my son and my brother >>>>>my son wants to drive already...http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/auffmann/domin.jpg

Matador1238
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
You will be ready next time! Not too bad first time out! I wish I had a boat......

Tin Pangas
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
You had multiple hookups on Threshers and you call that a bad day!?! You got lucky enough to pick a great spot. Now you know where to go once you get prepared. You are a step in the RIGHT direction. Get yourself some wire leaders (at least) and if you really want to catch the Threshers, just PM me and we can discuss details.

islandguy2
03-31-2010, 03:28 PM
thanks but actually i didnt want to catch the threshers, I wanted the two fish we hooked up on that got away, i m pretty sure one was a YT, the other looked like some kind of bass or ling cod....but yes i will be prepared for those next time.....i realy only like to catch what i can eat and im not into shark although i heard it was good eating.....

03-31-2010, 03:30 PM
ive seen a similiar boat on craigslist.and your boy looks ready to be el capitain

deanhall32
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Nice set-up you got there. That thing is gonna be sweet this summer!!

murrieta angler
03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Join the club Bro,
I remember my first time out in the ocean with the bait in a trash can...lol
You'll get it down soon enough, it will be second nature. Just make sure to check out all the websites for weather conditions before you head out.
You have a cute lil kid.
Take Care & Look Forward to Future Reports & Pics,
Robert

DockRat
04-01-2010, 05:44 AM
after a 45 min fight i could see the fish....i tried to grap the line when it was close and the line broke...he was pissed and i told him next fish on is his....so about 20 min later one of the reels starts singing, and my bradda is fighting it hard, we see a 15 ft thresher jump out of the water 15 ft away...

Sounds like a great day. Action, breakoffs, sharks.

WTG Bradda
DR

exfactor
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
break down and get a good name round bait tank. And plumb in a bait pump, so the water goes counter clockwise, with the exaust hose hanging off your transom. Yes, it does take up alot of room, but live bait does make a difference. Also sounds like you need to invest in a gaff. T-sharks are a blast to catch, and great sport. On 30#, I can catch em all day unless they are the 150# models. You are now in learning curve mode, and making the boat work for your desires is all part of becoming an ardent angler.

JapanRon
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Islandguy2,

Nice little classic boat. Next item on the shopping list FF/GPS or .......... you're wasting toooooo much fishin' time.

Await your next adventure,

JapanRon

04-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Islandguy2,

Nice little classic boat. Next item on the shopping list FF/GPS or .......... you're wasting toooooo much fishin' time.

Await your next adventure,

JapanRon

oh yes fish finder is such a must .japanron is not lying,i really enjoy mine.

LBC
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Sounds like a nice day and quite the adventure. Nice boat looks like you should have a great summer.

Swank909
04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Dude it sounds you had a great day! I may have read into the title a bit to much and expected to see some pics of a crashed boat or worse *knock on wood*, so I was glad to see it wasnt. At least the Mack broke the skunk and christened the deck your boat! It can really only get better for you! I look forward to seeing some more quality reports in the future

islandguy2
04-01-2010, 04:00 PM
You know it does sound kinda stupid to say i had the worst day ever, cuz i was out on my boat instead of at work, I just cant believe we had no fish to take home...but all in all it was nice to get out there.....

lalo56
04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!

rockbass
04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I say let the kid drive the boat- that'll give you and your brother both time to troll!!! :)

DEADROOTS
04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
That's a nice boat! You'll have better times!

DEADROOTS-