PDA

View Full Version : shimano CALCUTTA 700S ???

tat2 fishhead
03-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Just got a shimano CALCUTTA 700S as a gift from my friend..!:LOL:i was woundering if any of you hard core salt water guys had any tips on what i would use this reel for?line size,fish species,specs on drag system use any advice on it i would apreciate it thanks guys im new to the salt game.:???:ohhh what kind of rod would be a good pair for it?

Iron Only
03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
throw it in the trash and go get u some newells and trinidads but, in all seriousness, 15 to 20lb test good for local fishing bass, bonita, halibut etc.

Nessie Hunter
03-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Excellent Reel....
All the features of a bigger reel in a compact and strong baitcaster..
Clicker for live bait soaking, lever spool release, strong gears and drags..
Great for inshore & kelp killing and offshore Tuna, Albacore, Yellowtail etc (up to 30# or more).
Anything you can catch on 20/25# line.

Cast great, so I would use it on a bait stick at 7' or so... 20 to 50# rod, slow action tip (bait rod) or light irons etc...

Some Carbontex drags and maybe even some Ceramic bearings and you have a super reel that will cover a wide variety of conditions, fish and techniques....

Would you give your friend my address please????

sansou
03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I used to fish a 700s in the righty none the less! (I'm a lefty)

Great reel for 15 to 20, but the drag is lacking IMO (as compared to many other reels). I had it on a very light 7.5fter all roller Allstar rod with calicos and inshore in mind. You could handle smaller yellows and stuff like that, but for larger fish, I would suggest other reels. I fished light line albacore with it for a couple seasons, and it was a chore bringing fish in on a cattleboat.

tat2 fishhead
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your responses !