PDA

View Full Version : Plan B yields PB Striper on Fly

Boldfin
03-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Wanted to make my first island run of the year this weekend, but it was not to be. Had to go with Plan B, and hit Castaic instead. They'd just planted trout at the east ramp, so we focused on that area. There were not a lot of fish around, but those that showed themselves were of nice size.

Soaking a Dave's shad fly in 55 feet of water, I got stopped cold on my retrieve. A couple of big heads shakes later, and the fish took off. First time I'd been into my backing on a freshwater fish in a while. At 8lbs, this would be my personal best striper.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/Boldfin/Stripers%20on%20Fly/P3280460.jpg

Finished out the day solo, as Dave had to leave to go work at the shop. Found the schoolies on the points and whacked 'em pretty good. Had to get off the lake early, just as the bite was really getting insane. Almost a fish a cast.

Fun day...

TroutOnly
03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
GOOD JOB ROB IVE SEEN MORE AND MORE FLYGUYS GETTING THE STRIPERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CONGRATS ON THE P.B.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eat Sleep Fish
03-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Nice fish. Congrats bringin 'em in on the fly. not a lot of folks do the fly thing at castaic.

fisherman from long beach
03-28-2010, 06:44 PM
thats the first report i read on the fly for stripers.nice catch

Fishbones
03-28-2010, 07:17 PM
great catch .....gotta love the stripers on the fly

kpn
03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
It was nice to meet you out there Rob. Congrats on your PB.
It was slow for us....

KPN.

steve092
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Nice!!!

I'd love to catch one of those on spinning gear, let alone a fly rod!

marzocchi
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Very nice fish. I just bought me a fly rod. I am going to go try and get me an evolution reel this week. Hope to see you out there.

Boldfin
03-28-2010, 10:35 PM
It was nice to meet you out there Rob. Congrats on your PB.
It was slow for us....

KPN.

After I left you guys, I found 'em over where you and Scott started your day. Nothing big, but lots of willing biters over there.

Disco Mike
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Where Can U Get Those Flies At U Were Using...?

Wingnut
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Now that's awesome! Congrats on the PB Lineside on the fly.

DEADROOTS
03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Ditto! That's awesome!

BIGBASS MB
03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your PB,
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here?
Whats the difference between soaking a shad fly or soaking or casting a white 1/4 oz howgraizer (bucktail)????
why the fly rod???
I donT get it...
I thought fly rods were for fly casting not soaking jigs....
MB

Boldfin
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
These flies we use to imitate shad may have the same general shape as a bucktail jig, but they are not weighted at all. The heads are just epoxy over stick-on eyes, and the bodies are made with very light synthetic fibers called "SF Blend". You wouldn't be able to cast one five feet on a conventional rod, and they probably woudn't sink if tied on mono or flouro lines. The lines we use are heavy sinking "shooting heads" which are similar to leadcore. I can make 60-80 foot casts with this setup with only one or two false casts (back casts). That gets the entire weighted head portion of the line out on the water and a good amount of "running line" to allow the line to sink and take the fly deep. It still took a 50 count to get my fly into the zone where the fish were feeding.

There are those who say fly fishing is just fishing made hard, and that's true. Conventional gear and lures do work more often/better in most every fishing situation. I still like fly casting, even if it's not really a "fly" I'm casting. You should give it a try some time. I know a lot of great guides who could put you on fish, show you the basics, and get you hooked up in one day on the water.

Here's a close up of the "Shad Flye"...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/Boldfin/Fly%20Tying/P3290490.jpg

Congrats on your PB,
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here?
Whats the difference between soaking a shad fly or soaking or casting a white 1/4 oz howgraizer (bucktail)????
why the fly rod???
I donT get it...
I thought fly rods were for fly casting not soaking jigs....
MB

BIGBASS MB
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Boldfin,
I can Apriciate your passion for the sport and I know flyfishing is the next level, but its hard enough getting the suckers...
Unless they are out chasing shad or trout (boiling).
I want to try fly fishing for trout one of these years (soon I hope)
Tight Lines
MB

hookjaw77
04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Boldfin
Check PM's. Been working on a fly to walk the dog when the boils get going this morning. You really got my striper fever kicked in.
Swanee