PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine Creek and Whitney Portal Road?

chas83
03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm heading up to Lone Pine this weekend and was wondering if anyone has been fishing Lone Pine Creek. Just curious if it's been good or not, I read one post that stated it wasn't very good this last week. I was also wondering when Whitney Portal road usually opens up. Thanks.

patusc55
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Fishing looked good when I was up there two weeks ago but I only fished the sand trap at the bottom of the creek. I drove Whitney Portal to the base of the mountains and its still closed. I would guess walking up the creek could be profitable fishing for natives. Stocked portions of lower creek are probably well fished out. You might try Shepherd's and Independence Creeks which were stocked last week and you still have the option of fishing for natives.

chas83
03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice, we usually try and hit Independence but I haven't tried Sheperd's in quite a while. I'll give it a try and report back how things went. I was a little disappointed to see no Inyo County fishing plants at all scheduled for this week (Spring Break) I would have thought of all weeks for them to be stocking, Spring Break would have been the week to do it.

Bassnman Mike
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Remember, streams east of the 395 fall under general trout season regulations. I could be wrong but as far as I know Sheperds creek does not open until the last Saturday in April

stphnman20
03-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Remember, streams east of the 395 fall under general trout season regulations.
That is correct.. With the exception of the Owens and Walker.

chas83
03-31-2010, 10:38 PM
It's been a long time since fishing Shepherds creek and I might be confusing it with another one but if I use DFG's map it function on their stocking website it shows the creek on the west side of 395 which would mean it's open.

Bassnman Mike
04-01-2010, 07:32 AM
It's been a long time since fishing Shepherds creek and I might be confusing it with another one but if I use DFG's map it function on their stocking website it shows the creek on the west side of 395 which would mean it's open.

You maybe correct. Just remember, the only creeks and streams currently open are Independance creek and south, located on the West side of the 395. Just be careful, the warden patrols the area regularly. Almost everytime I've been up there he has checked me for my license.

STEVE IN SOCAL
04-01-2010, 12:14 PM
There's a little 'hole' on Shepard Creek off of Foothill Rd, upstream from the road. It's about the size of a kids wading pool. Not much sport....not sure why they even put fish in it.

STEVE IN SOCAL
04-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Correction...that would be Symmes creek. I bird hunt a lot in that area, and I haven't seen anything on the upper end of Shepard Creek that looks fishable.

Sparky70
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
You guys talking about Sheperds creek or Sheperds Pond which is on the east side of hwy 395?