PDA

View Full Version : Perris 03/27

Trouter2008
03-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Rented a boat today. Landed 2 LMB C & R'd. Both caught on drop shot robo worms. 1st fish about 4 lbs in 15 to 20 ft deep of water off of the east end flats. 2nd about 1lb in shallow water in a small cove off of the north side of the island.

The map I have shows I should have been in about 25 to 30 feet of water off of the east end flats. Is the lake lower than normal?

Flying
03-28-2010, 02:11 AM
The map I have shows I should have been in about 25 to 30 feet of water off of the east end flats. Is the lake lower than normal?

Yes the maximum lake level was dropped 25ft about 4 or 5 years ago due to problems found with the dam. Right now its down about 4ft from the new max. With all the new vegetation that has taken over most of the exposed lake bed its hard to picture what it used to look like.

bassgrabber1
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes the maximum lake level was dropped 25ft about 4 or 5 years ago due to problems found with the dam. Right now its down about 4ft from the new max. With all the new vegitation that has taken over most of the exposed lake bed it hard to picture what it used to look like.

They have put about 18" of water from Silverwood in , which is keeping the water at 59*. Yes there was actually 28' of water taken out because the dam has two 25' gaps underneath it. If we had a earthquake bigger than a 6.8 then it would cause the dam to collapse and thus spill out all over their stupid new neighbourhoods they built. At this point construction is supposed to start next year and last for about 3 years bu they claim it won't be complete for 5 years. I got the info from one of the Park and Regs guys. The problems with the dam have been there for the last 30 years but the state didn't do anything because it was just open fields before. I used to fish the lake when it was full and man it was great. It still produces very nice fish and i believe that there is a record fish in theer for LMB but who knows.

Flying
03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
You can get first hand info about the Dam here http://www.water.ca.gov/lakeperris/
They just completed the Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR pdf file). Its a long but very good read on what will be done on the whole project.

fishmounter
03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Wow! I just quickly went through the entire draft report. There's a ton of stuff to read. Basically it looks like they want to reinforce the entire back of the dam with a large berm of soil. It will be scooped out of a 150 acre area of lake bed that is now dry and is located on the east end, next to the shallow rocks (a great spot for catfish and Bluegill/Redears.) They are going to put in a transport road for the heavy equipment/ trucks to travel on and will blast the large rocks and hill out of the way, so they can drive up and around to the back of the dam. Oh one more little thing. The are going to take out the old water tower and put in a new one, closer to the Bernasconi Cove area. Also looks like the entire east side may be closed to the public, boats included, while the work is underway. How long will it last? ...I did see something about 2014....

bassgrabber1
03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Yeah it's supposed to be a 4 year process but count on it being 5 years. You have to remember that this is CA....nothing happens unless there is money.